[Confirmed] Ben Barba signs with Cronulla

Nah Boyd is the only player who can change. Boyd went from super depressed and hating life with daddy issues to a completely changed man without a care in the world, all because of his 2 week stint at some place lol. Barba, who faced the same and more personal issues, can never change despite getting his issues sorted.

Lol! The kid gets a new haircut and is shown smiling and he's "not dedicated to the job". And AP is the one with agenda!?

Fair enough, u hate barba, but really, ur clutching at straws.

Haha mate it was a joke. I don't hate barba at all. I think his best days are behind him playing wise but I have nothing against the bloke.

Lighten up big fella

Last edited:
Nah Boyd is the only player who can change. Boyd went from super depressed and hating life with daddy issues to a completely changed man without a care in the world, all because of his 2 week stint at some place lol. Barba, who faced the same and more personal issues, can never change despite getting his issues sorted.

Is it fun to put words into someone's mouth?

I said there are rumours that barba is on the punt again.

This has nothing to do with boyd so stop bringing him into everything

My comment was based on the fact that gambling bought him unstuck last time so if he is gambling again so soon it's a concern. That's all.

Stop derailing every thread with your bennett/boyd hatred

Re: Hoffman's Facebook Comment

Well, this is Barba's view, which added to Bennett's words, pretty much says it all... there is not doubt he was pushed out for Boy(d) wonder.
Cronulla Sharks recruit Ben Barba tells why he has returned to Sydney
As a moderator you would think you know better. Firstly there is nothing about Boyd in the article, just a simple statement that he was unwanted by Bennett. It's infuriating the snide references time after time, if it's not calling WB the messiah its disparaging Boyd. Try and have some class and treat the people who are on your team ,with some respect. It's hard to imagine what you would be like with those you don't like. Set the tone Porthoz.

Yeah Porthoz! How dare you imply that Barba was unwanted because Bennett prefers Boyd.

What a ridiculous conclusion to jump to.

As a moderator you would think you know better. Firstly there is nothing about Boyd in the article, just a simple statement that he was unwanted by Bennett. It's infuriating the snide references time after time, if it's not calling WB the messiah its disparaging Boyd. Try and have some class and treat the people who are on your team ,with some respect. It's hard to imagine what you would be like with those you don't like. Set the tone Porthoz.

Umm, as a fan of this club, I'm allowed to form an opinion on any player, and convey that opinion within the rules. I don't like Boyd, I don't have to like him because I'm on the staff here, and I certainly don't have to like him because I'm a fan of the club.

If he comes out and sets the world on fire, brilliant. It doesn't mean I have to like him.

EDIT: Spam

Last edited by a moderator:

Are you serious?

I have said before (and you acknowledged it) that my messiah characterisation is not a blight on WB, but rather on the people who view him that way. I will bag him for what he does wrong, and credit him for what he does right, but I have no respect left for him for the reasons I have repeated several times.

I don't rate Darius as a fullback. To me he is clearly in the bottom half of fullbacks in the NRL, although I do consider him a very good winger. I don't wish him harm in any way, and I really feel for him suffering this setback at a time where he appeared to be primed to return to his best.
However, I strongly oppose the clear conflict of interest that is having WB and Boyd on the same team, not because there is anything wrong with their relationship, but because I don't believe WB can be objective about him, which IMO, resulted in Barba being pushed out of the team, without a chance to even make a claim for a spot in the team.

Whether I am part of the staff or not, as a BHQ member, I am entitled to voice my opinion as much as anyone else, and in the terms I choose to, as long as I do so within the boundaries set in the site's rules.

I know you have a high reverence of Wayne Bennett, and it probably upsets you when people don't show the same deference. But try to look at it this way... how would you feel if a religious person told you how express yourself in relation to his/her deity?

Last edited:

Are you serious?

I have said before (and you acknowledged it) that my messiah characterisation is not a blight on WB, but rather on the people who view him that way. I will bag him for what he does wrong, and credit him for what he does right, but I have no respect left for him for the reasons I have repeated several times.

I don't rate Darius as a fullback. To me he is clearly in the bottom half of fullbacks in the NRL, although I do consider him a very good winger. I don't wish him harm in any way, and I really feel for him suffering this setback at a time where he appeared to be primed to return to his best.
However, I strongly oppose the clear conflict of interest that is having WB and Boyd on the same team, not because there is anything wrong with their relationship, but because I don't believe WB can be objective about him, which IMO, resulted in Barba being pushed out of the team, without a chance to even make a claim for a spot in the team.

Whether I am part of the staff or not, as a BHQ member, I am entitled to voice my opinion as much as anyone else, and in the terms I choose to, as long as I do so within the boundaries set in the site's rules.

I know you have a high reverence of Wayne Bennett, and it probably upsets you when people don't show the same deference. But try to look at it this way... how would you feel if a religious person told you how express yourself in relation to his/her deity?

Firstly, I have no issue with posters having opinions. Surely it's possible though to refer to the people about whom you have the opinion in a respectful way. When over 90% of your posts about WB and Boyd contain perjorative terminology it lessens you as a person. You acknowledge I have a deep respect for WB but I don't keep deifying him or praising him endlessly.

The connection to religion is spurious as we are not talking about insulting a person's belief system ,rather we are talking about individuals and how we describe them. Fine, disagree with selections and disagree about how events unfolded but these people are part of YOUR team and how can anyone justify an unceasing and relentless attack not just on their actions but on their character and in WBs case, their honesty and integrity. I know you've said you don't like WB but no, you have ever explained why. You have alluded to some secret information that no others have publicised but well founded proof is not forthcoming.

As for Barba, he had his chance. We all formed a view of him from the comfort of our lounge chairs and he did not impress, quite the reverse. He was given a whole season in two positions yet none of us were raving. You should be able to acknowledge that WB has access to a tv screen too and certainly being even better qualified than most could reach the same conclusion as most of us did. He got rid of Barba because he was surplus to needs and he was hideously expensive and playing poorly. These reasons are enough in isolation. There is no need to try and connect Boyd to that. With the money saved ( even allowing for the money sent to Cronulla) he may have retained more junior talent, we are not privy to such information.

Now that you've made your views known about WB and the people who like and admire him isn't it time to move on ? After all, we get it, it really isn't necessary anymore, constantly colouring every post is not really very adult is it especially when we adults already understand how you feel.

Ahhhh......remember our Peter Wallace days Port?

Good times my man....good times.

:laugh:

Last edited:
No, I don't have to refer to anyone in a respectful way when I don't respect them.
I also don't have to explain why I don't respect a person, even though in this case I did, albeit without naming the source I got it from.
Plenty of people in informed positions have confirmed the same thing from different sources, and that is good enough for me.

WB said he would never accept a job at a team with an existing contracted coach. All the information I have, is that not only did he not own that statement, he actually went out of his way to break it and shaft a person whom I do respect, even if I don't rate him as a head coach.

I feel exactly the same way about getting Boyd to the club, but now that he is here, I will cheer for him as hard as any other Bronco!

You're free to believe what you want, including the fairy tale that WB didn't shun Barba for Boyd, who was as bad, if not worse, both on TV and live in the 2014 season, or that WB is this immaculate highly integer person. I just don't!

No, I don't have to refer to anyone in a respectful way when I don't respect them.
I also don't have to explain why I don't respect a person, even though in this case I did, albeit without naming the source I got it from.
Plenty of people in informed positions have confirmed the same thing from different sources, and that is good enough for me.

WB said he would never accept a job at a team with an existing contracted coach. All the information I have, is that not only did he not own that statement, he actually went out of his way to break it and shaft a person whom I do respect, even if I don't rate him as a head coach.

I feel exactly the same way about getting Boyd to the club, but now that he is here, I will cheer for him as hard as any other Bronco!

You're free to believe what you want, including the fairy tale that WB didn't shun Barba for Boyd, who was as bad, if not worse, both on TV and live in the 2014 season, or that WB is this immaculate highly integer person. I just don't!
Fair enough, it's true you don't have to be respectful but you CAN refer to them in a normal manner without being disparaging. It just seems petulant to me that a wise and grown man has to be mean spirited in virtually every post. Imagine were I to say something nice about WB or Boyd every single time I mentioned him, it would soon be seen as tedious repetition .

Just on the contract saga I do not know the sequence of events but I do know that long before WB was mentioned, long before his break with Tinkler and at the start of the season Hook was on the nose and skating on very thin ice. I believe the club was looking at their options very early on. As far as I am aware there has been nothing concrete presented that WB acted improperly . You are entitled to believe whatever anecdotes you like but it certainly seems to contradict the widely held view that he acted in good faith.

I would think that the same consideration you have for Boyd, now that he is here would be extended to WB, now that he is here.

Active Now

• Bish
  • Fozz
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.