Conflicts of Interest

Hamm.0

Hamm.0

NRL Captain
Mar 5, 2008
In recent years we have started to see this trend of coaches, ex-players, players, etc. taking up commentary duties.

Is it a conflict of interest? Ex-players and players I don't have a problem with. Nine has always been and will always be Sydney-centric. However, many great QLD personalities have earned their share of $$ post career of RL commentry.

However, with Daley commenting on the Broncos game on Friday night, and more importantly, the Hayne and Hodges incidents, as the NSW assistant coach (or whatever he is), does this represent a conflict of interest? Livermore described Daley's comments as "unfortunate" (or soemthing similar). On the Sunday Footy Show, it was left to Peter Sterling to raise the similarities between Hodges tackle and Hayne's, as it was left to Sterling to raise the similarities between O'Donnells, send off worthy, elbow to face, yet old mate from Parra (???) scored a try and wasn't even looked at.

Now, I don't believe that judiciaries listen to these idiots, but they do have a certain (more often than not, undeserved) respected position in the NRL. So when something happens, like Daleys inability to speak during Haynes tackle and then his extended commentry over Hodges tackle minutes later, is this a conflict of interest?

It boils down to; does Daleys comments, have some bearing on how the Hodges tackel is viewed by players/ coaches, the judiciary panel and most importantly, NRL fans?

I think there is a conflict of interest although Daley did defend his position well. Its all about the public perception I think.

Daley commented on Hodges and really drove home his point yet on Haynes tackle was very quiet.

He should comment on the incident no matter who is involved but the other night he did play the man.

In short: no.

Daley commented on the spur of the moment, on what he saw, and I recall saying similar things to Aeetee and Flutterby while watching the game at the time. In fact I think I said he should be sent off.

I have more of a problem with newspaper columns where coaches, in particular, can bring to the "attention" specific issues and rules that disadvantage them, or are strongly exploited by upcoming opponents, which puts indirect pressure on the referee.

I think coaches, selectors, assistant coaches should be banned from having newspaper columns. IMO. I don't think panel type discussions or game commentary is such a problem.

I'm just disappointed that Daley claimed he "called it like he sees it", yet didn't mention Hayne's tackle AT ALL or Oke elbow.

I didn't hear Daley's commentary on the night, so can't comment too much. I only heard what he said on the footy show, and that was mainly about the Hodges tackle.

It's an interesting point.

Although not directly related, there was a story doing the rounds a few years ago (and I'll be honest, If I hadnt heard about the bet before it happened I wouldnt of believed it) that a high profile member of the media had a sizeable bet with a high profile businessman about the power the media had in the NRL.

The bet was that the media man could take a fringe first grader to an Australian Rep in 2 years, soley on the back of pushing his barrow in the media. Eg.Writing Constant paper articles about how good the said player was going (regardless of how well he actually was going), and also doing similar with any TV spots he had, and using his influence with other TV commentators to do the same thing.

Within 2 years, the player was playing for Australia.

hmmm interesting to wonder who that would be.

maybe Greg Bird.

I reckon it'd have to be Paul Gallen. Biggest waste of space in the game.

BroncoMatt said:

Although not directly related, there was a story doing the rounds a few years ago (and I'll be honest, If I hadnt heard about the bet before it happened I wouldnt of believed it) that a high profile member of the media had a sizeable bet with a high profile businessman about the power the media had in the NRL.

The bet was that the media man could take a fringe first grader to an Australian Rep in 2 years, soley on the back of pushing his barrow in the media. Eg.Writing Constant paper articles about how good the said player was going (regardless of how well he actually was going), and also doing similar with any TV spots he had, and using his influence with other TV commentators to do the same thing.

That is really believable actually, I've ALWAYS wondered why certain players get so much wraps, when CLEARLY they were not what the media played them out to be, there is NO DOUBT that the media plays a very signifcant influence in rugby league, it's not just all about what is shown on the field anymore...

lockyer47 said:
BroncoMatt said:

That is really believable actually, I've ALWAYS wondered why certain players get so much wraps, when CLEARLY they were not what the media played them out to be, there is NO DOUBT that the media plays a very signifcant influence in rugby league, it's not just all about what is shown on the field anymore...

Look at hazem el masri he should of been in NSW team 5 years ago not made his debut last year, but he doesn't have articles wrapping him every week or 2, yet a player like eric grothe who i would take hazem over ANY DAY gets selected for Australia and NSW so many times.

broncospwn said:
lockyer47 said:
BroncoMatt said:

Look at hazem el masri he should of been in NSW team 5 years ago not made his debut last year, but he doesn't have articles wrapping him every week or 2, yet a player like eric grothe who i would take hazem over ANY DAY gets selected for Australia and NSW so many times.

As bad as Grothe is, and his attitude sucks too, Hazem El Masri is utter shite. I'd love it if he was picked for NSW every year.

Not just that El Masri didn't get any wraps, Phil Gould would literally write him off until the last few years (pretty much until he started goalkicking). I spoke to Debbie Spillane, who used to be the media manager at the Bulldogs, and she told me how Hazem came to her once really confused wanting to know what Gould had against him. El Masri had been getting players' player and coach's awards for his performances week in week out, and yet Gould was questioning his place as a first grader.

And at the time, Gould was NSW coach, yet NSW had a dearth of quality wingers. El Masri never got a mention in rep considerations.

It's just another example of where the media can be used to influence selections.

Same would happen to judiciary matters. If there's uproar about a particular incident (eg Ben Ross vs Brett White this year), then the judiciary is compelled to put in a big charge. More often than not they would anyway, but sometimes they may go higher than they would.

And I guess that's the dilemma with Hodges. Was his grade 3 inspired by the media descriptions of it? Would Hayne have got grade 3 if there had been as much uproar?

It's interesting that in "real life" the media is not allowed to talk about specific details of a court case until the outcome is decided. It'd be nice if the media treated judiciary matters the same. eg, as soon as an incident is put on report, all the media can do is replay the incident and say it's been placed on report for investigation, not make judgments. eg, "Player is in trouble for that, similar to such and such other incident which got X weeks".

It could never be enforced though. I'm sure Channel 9 would be petrified of being held in contempt of Greg McCallum :P

Am waiting with baited breath for Hayne's result tonight.

He drove the player into the ground FFS!

When that happens i think it would be more fair to make Hayne stand still and Tonie Carrol can get a 50 metre run up and smash him. That would be more fair then getting suspended for 3 weeks. Im pretty sure they would never do it again then [icon_lol1.

Nah, Cooper only got selected because every other good option was unavailable!

Sterling is definitely not bias, his a very fair commentator. Hodges tackle was horrible. Simple as that

Unread

Active Now

• Santa
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • heartly87
  • Broncosarethebest
  • GCBRONCO
  • Bish
  • Battler
  • Scdeac
  • mitch222
  • achievedrap
  • Justwin
  • Broncorob
  • kiwi2
  • Foordy
  • broncos4life
  • Midean
  • davidp
  • Skathen
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.