OFFICIAL Congrats Alex Glenn Captain 2020

Taking a comment, removing the context entirely, then using it as a punchline to broadly sum up 12 months of playing performance and attitude, is the kind of garbage journalism and spin that we all claim to hate and deride in the game today, but that's exactly what happened here.
Fwiw, Boyd has used the "just a game" comment several times in interviews, including within the context of fan criticism as well as being faced with the possibility of enforced retirement. But if you want context, it's that of a player who brought the entire playing culture of the Broncos into disrepute by looking like he wasn't trying, and then responding that maybe he was "trying too hard."

This is a guy who played the mental health card when he got busted cheating on his wife. Who bragged about shielding himself from social media and press rather than get out there as the face of the Broncos. Who led the team to its biggest defeat in history. And who shrugged it all off.

No wonder he got sacked.

Fwiw, Boyd has used the "just a game" comment several times in interviews, including within the context of fan criticism as well as being faced with the possibility of enforced retirement. But if you want context, it's that of a player who brought the entire playing culture of the Broncos into disrepute by looking like he wasn't trying, and then responding that maybe he was "trying too hard."

This is a guy who played the mental health card when he got busted cheating on his wife. Who bragged about shielding himself from social media and press rather than get out there as the face of the Broncos. Who led the team to its biggest defeat in history. And who shrugged it all off.

No wonder he got sacked.
So once again, completely removed from the context in which it was actually said.

Bragged? I guess that might be true if your perspective is the guy should read every line of shit the internet heroes fling at him, and not doing this is a gross dereliction of his duties. What do you honestly expect from him, should he get around in sackcloth and ashes, self-flagellating with a big sign hung round his neck reading "broncoshq user X reckons I'm a pea heart who isn't even trying" just to make you blokes feel better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bragged? I guess that might be true if your perspective is the guy should read every line of shit the internet heroes fling at him, and not doing this is a gross dereliction of his duties. What do you honestly expect from him, should he get around in sackcloth and ashes, self-flagellating with a big sign hung round his neck reading "broncoshq user X reckons I'm a pea heart who isn't even trying" just to make you blokes feel better?
Yeah, bragged was maybe an imprecise word, but the sentiment remains. He was chosen to be the public face of the Broncos and "admitted," if you prefer, he keeps away from the public discourse about the club, and in particular his own performance. As captain he doesn't get the luxury of publicly dismissing the opinions of the club's fans without even reading them.

On top of that, he wasn't just fielding criticism from fans, it was past players, commentators and everyone watching the game. All he had to do is acknowledge it, but instead he went further into denial.

Not least of all, bear in mind Boyd's wife's entire life rotates around social media, and her only real claim to fame is being married to the captain of the Broncos.
[automerge]1580179053[/automerge]
So once again, completely removed from the context in which it was actually said.
Maybe you're only aware of him saying it once, but as someone who has been scouring Broncos news for some time, I can assure you he's said it in the context of being criticised for his performance.

I'm sure there have been more, but I can only remember one other sporting captain saying that: Michael Clarke. But, unlike Darius, that was while he was carrying the rest of the team with his multiple centuries. It was still a shit comment, but at least it wasn't to excuse himself.

I'll tell you who never said "it's just a game:" Ben Hunt, Mal Meninga, Cooper Crock, Paul Gallen, Kevin Walters, Alfie Langer, Wally Lewis, etc etc.

Exactly right. @McHunt is taking huge liberties here by saying he's 'bragged about shielding himself from the press'.

He's the bloody Club Captain, It's not like he hasn't engaged the media. To suggest otherwise is totally untrue. He's been front and centre every single week for press conferences and literally every media obligation he is required to do as Captain of the club. If he hadn't been, people wouldn't have the source material to misrepresent or take his quotes out of context in the first place, so we wouldn't even be having this discussion!

What he has said, and again, it takes a pretty pre-determined agenda or hatred of someone to determine this as a brag, is that he actively avoids social media and personal criticisms of himself from people on the internet or in the street. Honestly, he might cop some pretty well though out and sincere criticism on this forum, but it doesn't take a lot to imagine some of the shit he and any other player must have to wade through on social media, especially if you've ever seen some of the dead shits on the Broncos social media pages and groups - spoiler alert, not exactly a lot of Rhodes scholars amongst that lot.

Wayne Bennett used to say that if you listened too much to the opinions of the guys in the stands, it wouldn't be long before you were joining them. If it's good enough advice for Wayne Bennett, it's probably good enough advice for any player in the NRL.
[automerge]1580179265[/automerge]
Maybe you're only aware of him saying it once, but as someone who has been scouring Broncos news for some time, I can assure you he's said it in the context of being criticised for his performance.

I'm sure there have been more, but I can only remember one other sporting captain saying that: Michael Clarke. But, unlike Darius, that was while he was carrying the rest of the team with his multiple centuries. It was still a shit comment, but at least it wasn't to excuse himself.

I'll tell you who never said "it's just a game:" Ben Hunt, Mal Meninga, Cooper Crock, Paul Gallen, Kevin Walters, Alfie Langer, Wally Lewis, etc etc.
I can honestly say I've never heard him call it 'just a game' in any other context than that one. If you honestly can show me where he said it in relation to being indifferent to his own performance, then I'm happy to stand corrected?

Exactly right. @McHunt is taking huge liberties here by saying he's 'bragged about shielding himself from the press'.

He's the bloody Club Captain, It's not like he hasn't engaged the media. To suggest otherwise is totally untrue. He's been front and centre every single week for press conferences and literally every media obligation he is required to do as Captain of the club. If he hadn't been, people wouldn't have the source material to misrepresent or take his quotes out of context in the first place, so we wouldn't even be having this discussion!

What he has said, and again, it takes a pretty pre-determined agenda or hatred of someone to determine this as a brag, is that he actively avoids social media and personal criticisms of himself from people on the internet or in the street. Honestly, he might cop some pretty well though out and sincere criticism on this forum, but it doesn't take a lot to imagine some of the shit he and any other player must have to wade through on social media, especially if you've ever seen some of the dead shits on the Broncos social media pages and groups - spoiler alert, not exactly a lot of Rhodes scholars amongst that lot.

Wayne Bennett used to say that if you listened too much to the opinions of the guys in the stands, it wouldn't be long before you were joining them. If it's good enough advice for Wayne Bennett, it's probably good enough advice for any player in the NRL.
[automerge]1580179265[/automerge]

I can honestly say I've never heard him call it 'just a game' in any other context than that one. If you honestly can show me where he said it in relation to being indifferent to his own performance, then I'm happy to stand corrected?
Have you even read any of the Darius stories I've posted in the last year? You know I can't post them again.

Here is what was being said about Darius by expert commentators, to refresh your memory:

Last edited:
Yeah, bragged was maybe an imprecise word, but the sentiment remains. He was chosen to be the public face of the Broncos and "admitted," if you prefer, he keeps away from the public discourse about the club, and in particular his own performance. As captain he doesn't get the luxury of publicly dismissing the opinions of the club's fans without even reading them.

On top of that, he wasn't just fielding criticism from fans, it was past players, commentators and everyone watching the game. All he had to do is acknowledge it, but instead he went further into denial.

Not least of all, bear in mind Boyd's wife's entire life rotates around social media, and her only real claim to fame is being married to the captain of the Broncos.
Sure he does. You are of course aware that the players do hour upon hour of video where coaches and training staff pick apart every single thing they did in previous games right? Every decision, every mistake played back in multiple angles. What do you think he's going to get from reading facebook level comments like "lol Darry took a knee he's a shitcunt having a cry cos daddy left" that he can't get at work? Even the well-reasoned and data driven analyses we see from a few good posters here would pale in comparison to the information the coaching staff have at hand during reviews.

As for journos, former players and so forth, I'd happily ignore them as well in his shoes. If they have something worth saying they can say it to him directly, anything else is just for selling another article.

His wife can do as she pleases. Personally I find it ridiculous that someone can "earn" a living as an instagramfluencer but he's not obligated to jump into the sewer just because she works there.

Sure he does. You are of course aware that the players do hour upon hour of video where coaches and training staff pick apart every single thing they did in previous games right? Every decision, every mistake played back in multiple angles. What do you think he's going to get from reading facebook level comments like "lol Darry took a knee he's a shitcunt having a cry cos daddy left" that he can't get at work? Even the well-reasoned and data driven analyses we see from a few good posters here would pale in comparison to the information the coaching staff have at hand during reviews.

As for journos, former players and so forth, I'd happily ignore them as well in his shoes. If they have something worth saying they can say it to him directly, anything else is just for selling another article.

His wife can do as she pleases. Personally I find it ridiculous that someone can "earn" a living as an instagramfluencer but he's not obligated to jump into the sewer just because she works there.
Sure, you can say all that, but in the end he got sacked, so that's really the punchline to this story.

Sure, you can say all that, but in the end he got sacked, so that's really the punchline to this story.
Not really. Of all the reasons he got sacked saying he doesn't read shit online because at the end of the day it's just a game would hardly be at the top of the list.

Have you even read any of the Darius stories I've posted in the last year? You know I can't post them again.

Here is what was being said about Darius by expert commentators, to refresh your memory:

I'm not asking for an article, just a quote?

Where has he been questioned about his own performances and responded with 'It's just a game' in that context?

I agree he played like shit, I agree it was so bad at times that people were legitimately questioning his effort or his interest. I was in fact one of those people at times.

But correlation does not equal causation, and when people are holding up a single quote, taken totally out of context, and using that as some kind of smoking gun to say "Look, see, Darius doesn't care, he isn't trying, he just said it's only a game" is resorting to the kind of trash journalism and misrepresentation of players comments that we all apparently claim to despise in the game today.

Last edited:

Where has he been questioned about his own performances and responded with 'It's just a game' in that context?

I agree he played like shit, I agree it was so bad at times that people were legitimately questioning his effort or his interest. I was in fact one of those people at times.

But correlation does not equal causation, and when people are holding up a single quote, taken totally out of context, and using that as some kind of smoking gun to say "Look, see, Darius doesn't care, he isn't trying, he just said it's only a game" is resorting to the kind of trash journalism and misrepresentation of players comments that we all apparently claim to despise in the game today.
Does the Kayla post count? The one where she declared he would be playing on despite calls for him to stand down? Then goes on to say her and Darius are focussing on things that are actually important. I am paraphrasing this I can't remember the exact words and don't care to look it up.

Does the Kayla post count? The one where she declared he would be playing on despite calls for him to stand down? Then goes on to say her and Darius are focussing on things that are actually important. I am paraphrasing this I can't remember the exact words and don't care to look it up.
Sure, that counts. So long as we can hold every single thing your wife or partner has ever said about you against you too.

Sure, that counts. So long as we can hold every single thing your wife or partner has ever said about you against you too.
None of my partners have ever broadcast it to the world though.

None of my partners have ever broadcast it to the world though.
I can't believe I'm even entertaining such a moronic sentiment as it should be self evident, but no, I don't believe it is reasonable to hold what Kayla Boyd says on Instagram against Darius Boyd. To suggest otherwise would be to set a very, very dangerous precedent indeed.

Also can't be arsed digging through hundreds of press conferences because you weren't paying attention at the time, but here's @Lockysillegitimatechild saying what I said "Boyd even states repetitively that it's "just a game"

I can't believe I'm even entertaining such a moronic sentiment as it should be self evident, but no, I don't believe it is reasonable to hold what Kayla Boyd says on Instagram against Darius Boyd. To suggest otherwise would be to set a very, very dangerous precedent indeed.
Ok, so his wife is a dumb bitch who doesn't know shit and should keep her stupid whiny mouth shut I guess.

Actually, they did joint interviews. I didn't bother paraphrasing them because I didn't get my gossip tag and I've made an executive decision to stop posting drama as "news."
[automerge]1580181574[/automerge]
Ok, so his wife is a dumb bitch who doesn't know shit and should keep her stupid whiny mouth shut I guess.
Meow!

Last edited:
Also can't be arsed digging through hundreds of press conferences because you weren't paying attention at the time, but here's @Lockysillegitimatechild saying what I said "Boyd even states repetitively that it's "just a game"

Hmmm, I'm starting to think that with a total lack of evidence to the contrary, it wasn't me who wasn't paying attention.

Active Now

• Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Wolfie
  • Morkel
  • Justwin
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
  • Battler
  • winslow_wong
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Aldo
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • kiwi2
  • KateBroncos1812
  • FACTHUNT
  • Rambstien
  • Mustafur
... and 30 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.