PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

I agree with the sentiment of your post, especially with his recent form improvement. I just don't really know if try assists should be the key metric we measure a fullback by. For example, Boyd has 12 try assists in 22 games while Wighton had 11 in 13 games. Would you take Wighton over Boyd?

Other metrics such as run meters he is 10th behind (in order): Tuivasa-Sheck, Tedesco, Trbojevic, Hopoate, Holmes, Dufty, Mbye, Ponga, Gordon
Tackle busts he is 8th behind (again in order): Ponga, Trbojevic, Tuivasa-Sheck, Dufty, Mbye, Hopoate, Holmes.
Line breaks he is 10th behind: Holmes, Trbojevic, Johnston, Tedesco, Dufty, Ponga, Mbye, Tuivasa-Sheck, Gordon.

I know these are offensive stats and his defensive stats are pretty good compared to the others (which is why I'm not calling for him to be dropped or moved) but they are pretty worrying when you consider he's played every game this season while most the guys above have not.
It’s pretty hard to argue with pure numbers like those.

It’s also not like he’s ever been a consistent standout at bringing the intangible or unmeasurable qualities either (that inspiring run, a bone rattling tackle, the clutch play, the never give up attitude etc.).

I guess his best quality was always the fact you knew what you were going to get from him every week. But for a lot of 2018, not even that has been the case.

With that in mind, I believe the 2018 version of Boyd is comfortably in the bottom half, but also recognise he does seem to be getting better and more involved as the year goes on.

Last edited:
His season was stuffed because they didnt rest him for the first 5-6 weeks of the competition. He needed this time for his hammy.

I was having a think about this and curious to know where people rate Darius in terms of current fullbacks in the NRL.

Is he in the top few, somewhere in the middle of the pecking order, or towards the bottom?

My personal opinion is that there is some daylight between the top 5 (Slater, Trbojevic, Tedesco, Ponga, Tuivasa-Sheck) and the rest. I'd then have Holmes as the first in the chasing pack then probably Hopoate, Johnston and Boyd. Then there's there likes of Gordon, Mbye, Wighton and Gutherson, Dufty as the weaker candidates.
*I have not included Coote, DWZ, Edwards, Peachey, TMM, Hampton because I just think there's been too much rotation at the Cows and Panthers to even rank these guys.

Going off of this season’s form Holmes is definitely in the top shelf conversation. He has been insane post origin.

I don't know if I believe the turbo hype yet. I think he's a glorified Dugan. Only thing in his favour is his youth, he may come good but at this stage I see a strong and fast ball runner and that's about it.

I don't know if I believe the turbo hype yet. I think he's a glorified Dugan. Only thing in his favour is his youth, he may come good but at this stage I see a strong and fast ball runner and that's about it.

He can actually pass a ball which gives him a YUGE edge over Dugan.

His brother can pass the ball better than him

True. I still think a bloke like Teddy (a supporting FB in a rorting team who doesn't have much outside of his running game) is more overrated. The rorters wouldn't have lost much with Gordon at FB this year with their backline and halves.

True. I still think a bloke like Teddy (a supporting FB in a rorting team who doesn't have much outside of his running game) is more overrated. The rorters wouldn't have lost much with Gordon at FB this year with their backline and halves.

I dunno, he's definitely not a particularly good passer (still not as bad as a Dugan or a Hoffman though), but he's still good for like 2 linebreaks a game, and is always a threat through the middle. Roosters can probably get away with it because they have Radley as an extra ball player.

I don't know if this comment is legit.

Tedesco is top 4 in all of the following stats: tries (4th), try assists (3rd), tackle busts (3rd), line breaks (4th), offloads (4th) and run meters (2nd). He's only played 20 games.

He also has the least amount of missed tackles of any fullback except Wighton.

The numbers for Gordon are not so pretty.

Last edited:
Watching the Wobblies while waiting for our game. The amount of forward passes that go unchecked is embarrassing.

giphy.gif

Boyd was immense tonight.

Apart from a shit pass to Roberts, he hardly put a foot wrong.

Best game of season for Boyd. If keeps it up consistently then great. Still was out of position jogging for 40/20 and a few other times in defence. Cronk just didn’t get opportunity and wasn’t on game enough to exploit it. Unless Hamstrings magically improve next year still favour.

1. Milf
4. Boyd
6. Bird/Knik
7. Osullivan.
9. Bird/KNik (Macca to start for 20-30 then lock then off when TPJ had his rest).
13. TPJ

Milf can still kick the ball and demand it when he wants Locky style but takes pressure off him. Boyd fixes an edge in defence.

Active Now

• Mick_Hancock
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Strop
  • Big Del
  • broncsgoat
  • Gray
  • LittleDavey
  • Kev_Guz
  • Sproj
  • Midean
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • Broncosgirl
  • thenry
  • Robboi_321
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Fozz
  • Poisoy
  • Allo
... and 44 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.