NEWS Congratulations: we're NOT wooden spooners again

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
As foreshadowed by Mystic McHunt last week we are now tied for last place with the Canterbury Bulldogs, both in competition points and win/loss differential.

On a positive note, alphabetically we're still one shy of the bottom of the table.

ScreenScreenshot 2021 06 14 at 21 00 40 Ladder

At the start of the season I expected and hoped being realistic we could end up 10th to 12th as Kevvie begins to turn things round. Then next season back in the 8 and normal service is resumed. Turns out I was wrong and once again being realistic with half the season gone it looks like being 15th or 16th.
Make no bones about it this is an absolute disaster. We are the laughing stock of the Nrl with our Swiss Cheese defence. Tbh unless we bring in some tough players who know how to defend we are not making the 8 next year even with Reynolds.
I always try and go to the Bunnies game but after the Raiders and St George floggings I may as well chuck 40 bucks down the dunnie as opposed to watchng another flogging.

There is a positive to being bottom of the ladder though. We will probably play the Bulldogs in a death match for second last place. We could at least have some fun with it.

Maybe the loser gets the wooden spoon, the winner can have a soup ladle or a Red solo cup or something?

We really shouldn't be in second last at all. But as the saying goes, " When life gives you lemons, you make some lemonade"

There is a positive to being bottom of the ladder though. We will probably play the Bulldogs in a death match for second last place. We could at least have some fun with it.

Maybe the loser gets the wooden spoon, the winner can have a soup ladle or a Red solo cup or something?

We really shouldn't be in second last at all. But as the saying goes, " When life gives you lemons, you make some lemonade"
Nope the "draw" only gave the two worst teams from last year one game against each other

So the ladder looks like the below and our record against each team is provided.

1 Panthers - 0-1 (play again rd 19)
2 Storm - 0-2
3 Eels - 0-2
4 Rabbitohs - 0-1 (about to play again)
5 Roosters - 1-0 (play again in Rd 22)
6 Manly - 0-1 (dont have to play again ... WTF 😳😳)
7 Cows - 0-1 (play again in Rd 20)
8 Dragons - 0-1
9 Sharks - haven't played yet
10 Raiders - 0-1 (dont play again... so we had to play them in Canberra in the middle of winter on a Saturday night... luck of the draw amirite)
11 Warriors - haven't played yet
12 Titans - 1-1
13 Tigers - haven't played yet
14 Knights - haven't played yet
15 Broncos
16 Dogs - 1-0 (dont get to play again)

So 13 rounds into the season and we've only played 3 teams outside of the 8 and we're 2/4 vs them.

Anyone who doesnt think the draw has royally raped us is kidding themselves.

By comparison the cowboys have only played 4 teams INSIDE the 8 and they are 0/4 vs them

What else is there to say? It's already been said to death. What a laughing disgrace this once great club has become.

At the start of the season I expected and hoped being realistic we could end up 10th to 12th as Kevvie begins to turn things round. Then next season back in the 8 and normal service is resumed. Turns out I was wrong and once again being realistic with half the season gone it looks like being 15th or 16th.
Make no bones about it this is an absolute disaster. We are the laughing stock of the Nrl with our Swiss Cheese defence. Tbh unless we bring in some tough players who know how to defend we are not making the 8 next year even with Reynolds.
I always try and go to the Bunnies game but after the Raiders and St George floggings I may as well chuck 40 bucks down the dunnie as opposed to watchng another flogging.
You could chuck 40 bucks on the bunnies and make 6 dollars

Everyone needs to calm down. We won't get the spoon because Kennedy, Isaako and Crofty will be back to save us from such an ignominious end. Cheer up, if Rhys is back we're all saved😃

In all seriousness, before we start to compare this year and last, it needs to be pointed out that we are only about half way along and it's the full season that counts. This matters because this first half of the season has seen easily the hardest draw of any team in the competition, much worse than our run home and much harder than the draw we had at this point last year.

Interestingly, it's also significantly harder than the Bulldogs draw so far. It's far, far harder than the Cowboys and Dragons Draw.

It doesn't excuse the poor form we've shown. It doesn't change the fact that a great many of the issues we had last year are still very much present.

What it does give us though is some hope that when things (slightly) even out Draw-wise for us over the rest of the year, there is a fair chance we'll improve our W/L record and make up some ground on a few of the sides just above us who have much harder runs home.

In all seriousness, before we start to compare this year and last, it needs to be pointed out that we are only about half way along and it's the full season that counts. This matters because this first half of the season has seen easily the hardest draw of any team in the competition, much worse than our run home and much harder than the draw we had at this point last year.

Interestingly, it's also significantly harder than the Bulldogs draw so far. It's far, far harder than the Cowboys and Dragons Draw.

It doesn't excuse the poor form we've shown. It doesn't change the fact that a great many of the issues we had last year are still very much present.

What it does give us though is some hope that when things (slightly) even out Draw-wise for us over the rest of the year, there is a fair chance we'll improve our W/L record and make up some ground on a few of the sides just above us who have much harder runs home.
I agree with you, however our side has seemingly been getting worse personnel-wise every week. Doesn't fill me with confidence even with a looser second half of the season draw.

I agree with you, however our side has seemingly been getting worse personnel-wise every week. Doesn't fill me with confidence even with a looser second half of the season draw.
In the same way Seibold was not responsible for all the personnel changes that have taken place, the same is true for Kevvie. Granted, both made some utterly baffling calls to drop or retain certain players. but injuries and suspensions have absolutely played their part too.

If he's seeing no future in the likes of Milford etc then I'm fine with him taking stock of what he has left for the remainder of this year. He's evidently working on recruitment and we've already had a pretty good win there with Reynolds, which is far more than we managed under Seibold.

Let's see where we finish up this year and over the offseason for recruitment, which doesn't seem like it's over yet, before we start to really compare this season and Walters to what we did with 2019/2020.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • broncsgoat
  • GCBRONCO
  • ChewThePhatt
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • kiwi2
  • Dash
  • The Strapper
  • Jazza
  • Cavalo
  • Bish
  • Broncosarethebest
  • jd87
  • azza.79
  • Fozz
  • Rookie Alan
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Manlyman
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.