PLAYER Corey Oates

I think having WB as coach, playing in a successful high profile team, coming from the area and being perfectly positioned for the chance at greater honours will combine to keep him in Broncos colours for quite some time. My only real fear is the possibility for him to contract a case of Mundineitis, a terrible condition that causes massive swelling of the ego. Hopefully, Dr WB will administer an inoculation.

I think having WB as coach, playing in a successful high profile team, coming from the area and being perfectly positioned for the chance at greater honours will combine to keep him in Broncos colours for quite some time. My only real fear is the possibility for him to contract a case of Mundineitis, a terrible condition that causes massive swelling of the ego. Hopefully, Dr WB will administer an inoculation.

I've seen nothing from Oates to suggest to me that he could get a big head. He seems to be respected greatly by the team too, they all rush over after he scores.

He can be the hero we deserve. . He needs to rise up and stop the ever rising evil that is David Klemmer.

They could become rivals

I've seen nothing from Oates to suggest to me that he could get a big head. He seems to be respected greatly by the team too, they all rush over after he scores.
Oh, I hope I'm not misunderstood here as I've not seen any signs either, no sign at all of Mundineitis. I was just thinking it's the one thing that could put me off him or could cause him to leave. He does seem like a big likeable kill you instantly type of kid !

Just thought I would write up one of the recent articles in Rugby League Week about Corey Oates.

'Corey doesn't realise how good he can be'

Corey Oates has always been a big kid with massive potential...but with a small problem his preparation.
Wayne Bennett told him to pull his head in earlier this year, and Oates took the tip. Now, it's the rest of the competition that needs to be warned about the 20-year-old tearaway.
The giant Broncos utility continues to grow in size and stature. Oates has bounced between the wing and back row this year, but Broncos premiership winner and former assistant coach Peter Ryan insists the 192cm, 107kg behemoth is destined for a full-time gig in the forwards.
"He will end up in the back row at 110 or 112 kilos because he's a man mountain waiting to happen," Ryan says. "Corey is a tough bastard and he hits like a freight train. He's got footwork, and he's athletic and fast, but can run over them as well. He bangs away at big men coming through and tears them a new arse now, so he's going to be a man monster who will destroy teams when he develops."
Ryan is predicting titanic battles between Oates and Cowboys giant Jason Taumalolo in future years.
"Nothing against Jason by any means, but in the future when Jason runs where Corey is, he's going to get stopped in his tracks," Ryan says. "Won't that be a classic confrontation? I know I would pay to go and watch it."
Oates told RLW earlier this year that Bennett had challenged the Baralaba Panthers product to make sure he was picked week in, week out. Getting his off-field preparation in order was high on the agenda and Oates has responded to the coach's call.
Broncos captain Justin Hodges says Oates' prospects as a regular back-rower are in his own hands and that he still has a way to go to fulfil his potential.
"He's a good young kid who doesn't realise how good he can be," Hodges says. "Corey's a big boy and once he gets himself right around training the sky's the limit.
"But if he wants to do something in this game, he's got to work hard on his fitness.

Maybe not a big head......but more so he's been a bit piss poor at training / off the field.

Wayne wouldn't like that which I guess this spells out the reason Oates isn't a permanent member of the run on 13.

He's young and plenty of old hard heads at the club. Hopefully Corey will get it right.

Be a shame if he turned into Dave Taylor mk.III ......

[MENTION=7980]Mr Fourex[/MENTION] who are you classingvas Dave Taylor mk II

Maybe not a big head......but more so he's been a bit **** poor at training / off the field.

Wayne wouldn't like that which I guess this spells out the reason Oates isn't a permanent member of the run on 13.

He's young and plenty of old hard heads at the club. Hopefully Corey will get it right.

Be a shame if he turned into Dave Taylor mk.III ......

Personally I think Oates has turned a corner this season and from what I have seen and heard this year from him he sounds like he has a pretty go attitude now.

There is little doubt about his future in the back row and I don't disagree at all. What I didn't want was him playing there last year and not there this year either. In fact I ,with my Magic coach hat on wouldn't put him there until at least 2017. In my opinion it speaks volumes about Griffin's failure as coach that he took a nineteen year old lad and put him in the forwards when we were more than adequately covered there. We still had Stagg and Lowrie to do the donkey work amongst others. As an analogy Griffin was using a fine wood chisel to shape a block of sandstone. Twat.

I think the preparation bit was something to do with him and alcohol. There was an article about it early in the season that Bennett challenged him to give up/significantly reduce the grog in order for him to be a full time player.

Can we just turn Oates into a Winger?

1. He's enormous, so meters gained on kick returns are valuable.
2. He's surprisingly quick for a big guy and could improve his speed with explosive work in the pre-season.
3. He's a natural footballer.
4. He's young.
5. HE'S FUCKING ENORMOUS.

However, he's suspect under the high ball and his knee obviously troubles him.

Can we do it? Should we do it?

I just watched the highlights from last night Souths game again, and on that break he made, it takes him 4.5 strides to cover 10m between the lines on the field. So boss.

He's a backrower. Can you imagine him running at halves off Milf or Hunt (particularly close to the line).

Wow.

Oates is a footballer. The kind of guy that you can put anywhere on the field and they will dominate. It is rare these days and he is a real attribute yet still do young

He's a backrower. Can you imagine him running at halves off Milf or Hunt (particularly close to the line).

Wow.

That's the most exciting part. He's one of the most promising young players in the comp and he is playing out of position

I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If there's one player I don't want to lose ever, it's Corey Oates. He's awesome and a superb talent, I hope we lock him up long term. I'll be mighty pissed if we ever lose him to some other club. Play him at halfback for all I care, as long as he's in the team.

Active Now

• Porthoz
  • Mustafur
  • Tim K
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.