Corey Oates signs on for 3 more years

Incredibly vexed about this one. Of course I'm happy that Corey is sticking around, but he was also surplus to our needs.

I think Oates fits in extremely well with our needs. We need to remember how to get the ball out to him. We need Boyd to remember that he used to provide Oates with great cut out passes. We need Shiba to hold the ball and defend his own position.

We need a real spine. We need a right wing that can defend the try line. We are stacked in the forwards but we need a good back line too.

Out of the current alternatives for his position the only one I'm interested in is Farnworth. I hope we can fit both in the team.

We need Boyd to remember that he used to provide Oates with great cut out passes. We need Shiba to hold the ball and defend his own position.

Agree. They both need to remember those things while they are playing Q Cup next season.

The options seems to indicate he didn't get the coin he was after, if he has a big year next year he might look somewhere else for more money... If he sucks, he'll stay.

Look, honestly this is a pretty positive signing for the club.

In form, he's a pretty devastating Winger. He's obviously coming off a pretty poor season but the same could be said for probably 25/30 of our squad. An improved Broncos attack will see an improved Oates in my opinion.

I also think the guy has taken one for the team over the years, sticking at making it as a Winger despite always being a Backrower and pretty obviously having a passion to return to that position at some point, but he's stuck at the Wing position for the good of the team and in his time he's really made the spot his own and deserves at least a little credit for that loyalty and lack of selfishness.

Given Isaako seems quite likely to be going to Fullback next season, retaining Oates on our other Wing ensures some stability on that edge and means we wont be lumped with Boyd and/or a Rookie(s) on our Wings for an entire season.

The most important thing here is how much this just cost us. as long as the $$$ were realistic for both parties and in line with what a club should be spending on their Wingers, then I think there is plenty of reasons to be pleased with this re-signing.

Last edited:
All I know, is it better be less than the $500k Sivo got... But I doubt it.

He's probably on a similar packet to Blake Ferguson, even though Oates is behind Fergo, Sivo, Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Mamaulo and probably cotric and fusitua on 2019 form.

He's probably on a similar packet to Blake Ferguson, even though Oates is behind Fergo, Sivo, Addo-Carr, Vunivalu, Mamaulo and probably cotric and fusitua on 2019 form.
No chance he's on the same money as Fergo. Fergo as I understand it is the highest paid Winger by quite some way.

I'm guessing 400k was around the mark we paid, which is pretty much in line with what he's worth.

Last edited:
No chance he's on the same money as Fergo. Fergo as I understand it is the highest paid Winger by quite some way.

I'm guessing 400k was around the mark we paid, which is pretty much in line with what he's worth.
Previously he's been saying h wants $500-600, some reports more etc. I hope it's the $400k mark, but I'm confident it's more.

Previously he's been saying h wants $500-600, some reports more etc. I hope it's the $400k mark, but I'm confident it's more.
He was probably asking that before quite a significant drop in form (i know this coincided with boyds move and removal of their pet play) so i hope the broncos took advantage of that going into negotiations.

If it was more than 400k or so, I don't think we'd have been able to get a deal done. The fact he's stayed and that the deal is structured the way it is suggests that's the case too.

It's actually a a pretty good deal for both parties really. We get to keep him at what he's worth right now, which is probably pretty close to base value for Oates, around 400k or so. He gets to try and prove he's worth more over the next season or two (which we would get the benefit of while he plays for us) and then both parties can decide if they want to upgrade or extend the deal at a higher price or go their separate ways, but we'd be in the box seat given he's still at our club. Worse case scenario, he doesn't prove he's worth any more money and he stays on our books for pretty much exactly what he's worth today.

Last edited:
If it was more than 400k or so, I don't think we'd have been able to get a deal done. The fact he's stayed and that the deal is structured the way it is suggests that's the case too.

It's actually a a pretty good deal for both parties really. We get to keep him at what he's worth right now, which is probably pretty close to base value for Oates, around 400k or so. He gets to try and prove he's worth more over the next season or two (which we would get the benefit of while he plays for us) and then both parties can decide if they want to upgrade or extend the deal at a higher price or go their separate ways, but we'd be in the box seat given he's still at our club. Worse case scenario, he doesn't prove he's worth any more money and he stays on our books for pretty much exactly what he's worth today.
Yeah that's the way I see it as well... I think the 2 yrs of player options pretty well confirms the price is lower than Oates would be happy with. There's no real reason why the Broncos would sign him for a premium and then also give him player options.

There's also the opportunity to move him into the 2nd row moving forward. Looking at our current stock we're probably looking at viable second row options of Fifi and TPJ as of 2021 or even next year with Glenn and Gillett getting older and Sua moving on.

TPJ's defence is very suspect on the edge (or everywhere for that matter) and he may end up being a high impact middle in the form of Taupau.

Oates moving 2 places infield with a Farnworth or Coates jumping into his spot and Fifi moving over to the right side could be a pretty effective second row moving forward.

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Broncosgirl
  • Harry Sack
  • bb_gun
  • Skathen
  • ChewThePhatt
  • sooticus
  • Mustafur
  • Browny
  • Spoon
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • davidp
  • FACTHUNT
  • IceWorks
  • Cavalo
  • Organix
  • Bish
  • lynx000
  • Wolfie
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.