Coronavirus / COVID-19

Partner of person who hugged and kissed and slept with the same person for 5 days without knowledge and probably kept on doing it after diagnosed is the only person out of 2.5 million birsbane-ites got infected after 10 days since initial infection?!?!?! Lock us down Anna!!

Alec

International Rep
How was she "not knowingly at fault" if she was supposed to be in quarantine? There better not be another fucking lockdown.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
For anyone with a medical background or in the know, I have some questions about the covid vaccine.
I have done some limited research but I cannot seem to get a straight answer to the questions.
1. Does the vaccine actually prevent you from getting covid, that is, does it give rise to a sterilising immunity or does it merely stop you from developing significant symptoms?
2. If it is the latter, and does not induce a sterilising immunity, does that mean that you can still infect others? And does that mean that you will have to quarantine in any event?
3. How long does the immunity last?

It does not seem that they have answers to any of these questions yet.
That awesome tweet chain posted by Mister Wright Mister Wright is the best explanation I've seen about this new vaccine type for us laymen. That said, here are the short answers to your questions:

1- It is approximately 95% effective in preventing you from developing significant symptoms and long term consequences, which are increasingly coming to light for people who did survive the illness.
It is very likely also creating a sterilising immunity, although it is too soon to affirm that. All signs also point to the vaccine being much better at preventing re-occurrence than "natural immunity" from catching the actual disease.

2- As mentioned above, it is too soon to answer the sterilising immunity question, which in turn makes it impossible to answer whether you can still be infectious. Until proven otherwise or a satisfactory amount of the population is inoculated, you will have to quarantine.

3- Also too early to tell, but they expect it to be at least a couple of years based on how the virus mutates. They also expect you will only need a booster down the track even if the virus mutates enough to make the old vaccine ineffective. The beauty of the mRNA technology is the ability to slightly tweak the vaccine instruction set to match the newer virus mutations, which in turn won't require the vaccine to go through extensive trials, because it doesn't significantly alter it.

Disclaimer: I am not in anyway a medical professional or educated in this incredibly complex science. The above answers come from experts in the field (who had nothing to do with the manufacturing, distribution or sales of the vaccines in question).

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Sooo.....uhmmm.....what about these tennis players eh?

Self entitled fucksticks ....or maybe they have a point? I can't believe how the Victorian government minister was, at down playing one complaint of the quarantine hotel being infested with mice....which it sounded like it was. If they are going to pick a hotel and deem it as the space to isolate.....at least ensure it is fit for service.

That said.....Bernard Tomic's GF........fucken hell, get a grip. Complaining that she can't have a hair dresser come in and wash her hair.......because she never washes her own hair ??? Seriously ??? Unbelievable, she would think that she would get sympathy for this....the poor fucken princess. Completely out of touch from reality.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Sooo.....uhmmm.....what about these tennis players eh?

Self entitled fucksticks ....or maybe they have a point? I can't believe how the Victorian government minister was, at down playing one complaint of the quarantine hotel being infested with mice....which it sounded like it was. If they are going to pick a hotel and deem it as the space to isolate.....at least ensure it is fit for service.

That said.....Bernard Tomic's GF........fucken hell, get a grip. Complaining that she can't have a hair dresser come in and wash her hair.......because she never washes her own hair ??? Seriously ??? Unbelievable, she would think that she would get sympathy for this....the poor fucken princess. Completely out of touch from reality.
Needs her hair washed with Nads. She wouldn’t have any need for hairdressers anymore.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.