Coronavirus / COVID-19

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
The problem is that this virus doesn’t show any symptoms for up to 14 days after contracting it. How can they know if someone has no symptoms?

I reckon people need to be more understanding, everyone is doing everything they can in a rapidly changing and unknown situation.

Last edited:

Allo

State of Origin Rep
We need to be proactive and shut down borders when stuff like this happens, which as an island should be pretty straightforward.

Has no one in the government played Plague Inc?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The problem is that this virus doesn’t show any symptoms for up to 14 days after contracting it. How can they know if someone has no symptoms?

I reckon people need to be more understanding, everyone is doing everything they can in a rapidly changing and unknown situation.
How can you say everyone is doing everything they can, when Australian authorities allow a plane from ground zero to land in the biggest city of Australia?

I have no doubt many plans are in place, and many people are doing what needs to happen here. But I also have no doubt that dumb people are also involved in the process.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane

How are they doing everything they can? Why the **** are planes from there flying into Australia atm?

Alec

International Rep
Wuhan's hospitals are filled to capacity. They are building a new hospital in like the next week just for this. Apparently all of their medical staff are completely overworked from this. I think China sent over 1000 army medical staff recently as relief (you'd hope).

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
It is a simplistic thing to say all planes should be stopped. So far this virus is proving to be 1-2% more deadly than the normal influenza and 1/5th as deadly as SARS. This information has only JUST come out as well. This has escalated extremely quickly and only really so in the last two weeks despite starting about a month ago. No one had died in the first two weeks and it wasn't spreading this quickly. Your first case came in early January and didn't present symptoms until about two weeks later. How would you have prevented that when it had not become a thing yet?

And what about those of us still overseas? Should we just be denied entry despite no signs OR connections to Wuhan simply because we MIGHT be sick and have no idea about it?

Could more have been done? Probably. Could any of you complaining do better in a real world not so simplistic reality? Highly doubt it.

And yeah, I am in China and I am scared but at least I can understand how simplistic views don't actually solve or help anything or anyone.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
American Samoa closed all entry and exit points when the Spanish Flu outbreak occurred, they had 0 infected and 0 casualties, meanwhile 100 million people died around the world within a year. It may not seem fair, but drastic measures are sometimes necessary.

Not saying this is going to even be in the stratosphere of that disease, because we're so much better equipped to deal with pandemics now, but the point remains.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Apparently the current screening process at Brisbane Airport is one digital sign that flashes with the message "Spent time in Wuhan? Feeling unwell? Tell the assistance desk."

All in English by the way..

We really don't give a ****.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
American Samoa closed all entry and exit points when the Spanish Flu outbreak occurred, they had 0 infected and 0 casualties, meanwhile 100 million people died around the world within a year. It may not seem fair, but drastic measures are sometimes necessary.

Not saying this is going to even be in the stratosphere of that disease, because we're so much better equipped to deal with pandemics now, but the point remains.
So you are using an example from 100 years ago? Nice.

So even though your first case arrived BEFORE this became an epidemic, you think this would have stopped the problem? Again, such a simplistic view to use a method that worked 100 years ago on a TINY island in an era that was NOT internationalised anywhere near as much as today. And I hope you have personally never flown or travelled anywhere whilst sick or premonitioning a sickness that you may have had two weeks later.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
So you are using an example from 100 years ago? Nice.

So even though your first case arrived BEFORE this became an epidemic, you think this would have stopped the problem? Again, such a simplistic view to use a method that worked 100 years ago on a TINY island in an era that was NOT internationalised anywhere near as much as today. And I hope you have personally never flown or travelled anywhere whilst sick or premonitioning a sickness that you may have had two weeks later.
I literally explained in the post you're quoting that we've obviously improved our methods of dealing with pandemics in the last 100 years.

We've also got a larger population and travel in significantly more ways, at a significantly higher rate than 100 years ago.

I'm not suggesting we cancel all flights to and from China, I'm simply showing that it wouldn't be unheard of.

P.S - I've been on one plane in my entire life, and that was when I was 4 years old, don't believe I was sick at the time. So, check mate!

Dash

NRL Captain
Brisbane

Who the hell was travelling to American Somoa in 1918? Pretty easy to keep 0 people out.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Who the hell was travelling to American Somoa in 1918? Pretty easy to keep 0 people out.
Plenty of people, it was post-WWI and they had navy ships docking on a regular basis. Here's the man behind it - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Martin_Poyer

During the 1918 flu pandemic, Poyer quarantined American Samoa after hearing news reports of worldwide deaths on the radio. This action caused American Samoa to be one of the few places in the world to not suffer any flu deaths. Angered by the quarantine of ships, Lieutenant Colonel Robert Logan of the New Zealand Army, administrator of Western Samoa, cut off communications with American Samoa. For his leadership in preventing the spread of Spanish influenza, Poyer received the Navy Cross.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
1580045822774.png

Interesting graphic, could look significantly worse if China is underselling the number of infected / deaths.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.