Coronavirus / COVID-19

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
What type of mask? There’s still debate over which mask actually works and whether there is much point at all
I know but the initial talk early on in this pandemic when the media were telling everyone masks were mostly useless, they were doing that because they were trying to conserve them for medical facilities and staff to make sure they got them first. They definitely make a difference in some capacity, at the very least to keep your hands away from your face.

I know I probably look like a paranoid fool walking around wearing it while the vast majority aren't, but I have an elderly father with a history of respiratory problems. I don't have any room for indifference.

As for the type, by the looks of it it's a typical medical mask, with the steel plate at the top which you wrap around the bridge of your nose to seal it at the top.

Last edited:

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Oakland, California
I bid my part today grocery shopping, was wandering around wearing a mask looking like a bozo, but I was far from the only one I guess.
The fact that you are taking this seriously means that you're far from a bozo compared to these morons getting about.

I generally think humans are great and I always like to see the good in people, but man this situation is really testing that. There's a LOT of selfish people out there.

So true , working at a hospital atm and it seems business as usual.
Is that a small hospital? It certainly isn't that way where I work. Preparations are made daily, wards emptied and allocated for it, workers and teams being built to manage it, daily education on Protective equipment, protocols put in place for management, multiple emails daily about it. People are on edge, ready for the wave that's about to come...

pagey

NRL Captain
Is that a small hospital? It certainly isn't that way where I work. Preparations are made daily, wards emptied and allocated for it, workers and teams being built to manage it, daily education on Protective equipment, protocols put in place for management, multiple emails daily about it. People are on edge, ready for the wave that's about to come...
Logan so not to big , there's things being put in place but I feel like alot more could be done.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Logan so not to big , there's things being put in place but I feel like alot more could be done.
There is behind the scenes.

A mate’s wife (Works high up in a hospital) said last night that they are quietly preparing for a two month lock-down. Take with a grain of salt, but something worth considering.

Jedhead

NRL Player
My daughter is a reporter with Ch9 and has been posted up to Rockhampton for the foreseeable future. All week she has been out every night having catch ups with her friends to say goodbye.

This morning she comes out dressed up and announces she's going out for breakfast with two other friends. I sort of lost it and said her carefree actions all week were irresponsible. She started bawling her eyes out and said it was the only chance she had to see her friends and say goodbye.

In the present worldwide pandemic, am I being too harsh on her?

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
My daughter is a reporter with Ch9 and has been posted up to Rockhampton for the foreseeable future. All week she has been out every night having catch ups with her friends to say goodbye.

This morning she comes out dressed up and announces she's going out for breakfast with two other friends. I sort of lost it and said her carefree actions all week were irresponsible. She started bawling her eyes out and said it was the only chance she had to see her friends and say goodbye.

In the present worldwide pandemic, am I being too harsh on her?
Absolutely not!

She needs to learn responsibility for everyone else, much like every selfish 20ish year old that still thinks the world revolves around them. I am speaking from personal experience here.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Absolutely not!

She needs to learn responsibility for everyone else, much like every selfish 20ish year old that still thinks the world revolves around them. I am speaking from personal experience here.
Maybe explain that she’s responsible for informing people of the current situation, yet she’s not practicing herself.

None of us can see our friends. It fucking sucks. But at least we can’t be responsible for killing them or their families either.

pagey

NRL Captain

A mate’s wife (Works high up in a hospital) said last night that they are quietly preparing for a two month lock-down. Take with a grain of salt, but something worth considering.
I hope so keen to get out of here, it needs to be done sooner rather than later imo

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I learned last night that a prominent engineering company, not my mate’s, has staff that are constantly coughing over each other and laughing it off as a joke. Obviously not all staff think it’s funny, or I wouldn’t have heard about it.

I just made an anonymous call to them and explained the situation and the whole time they were more concerned with who I was and where I was calling from than the content of what I was saying.

In the end, I threatened that if this does not stop immediately that I will go to the media.

What has my back up so bad about this is that we offered to look after one of my son’s friends today so the mother can work from home. She was distraught that she had to say no because her husband works at said company and therefore as a conscientious person, had to refuse our help on the basis of what’s going on at this company.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Kiwi didn't do 2 months, so I doubt we will. I got a feeling 4 weeks is inbound soon.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Kiwi didn't do 2 months, so I doubt we will. I got a feeling 4 weeks is inbound soon.
It will start with 4, and finish with 12 weeks, minimum. Hubei province, the entire province, was locked down for 2 straight months, and that's a Chinese lock-down, meaning no one was allowed outside full-stop.
No supermarket trips, nothing. The only people that were allowed to leave, were critical infrastructure personal ie power/water/utilities, the military and emergency personnel.
Food was delivered by the army to all residents, and if you were caught outside, you were arrested and taken to an isolation camp under military guard.
This is what it takes to stop this thing, and even then, there is every chance it will pop back up once restrictions are eased due to asymptomatic cases.
I foresee mandatory temperature checks and health codes for all Australians before this is done.
Life might start to get back to some semblance of normalcy around Christmas.
I hope to god i am wrong, already getting cabin fever and not even a week into lock-downs.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
It will start with 4, and finish with 12 weeks, minimum. Hubei province, the entire province, was locked down for 2 straight months, and that's a Chinese lock-down, meaning no one was allowed outside full-stop.
No supermarket trips, nothing. The only people that were allowed to leave, were critical infrastructure personal ie power/water/utilities, the military and emergency personnel.
Food was delivered by the army to all residents, and if you were caught outside, you were arrested and taken to an isolation camp under military guard.
This is what it takes to stop this thing, and even then, there is every chance it will pop back up once restrictions are eased due to asymptomatic cases.
I foresee mandatory temperature checks and health codes for all Australians before this is done.
Life might start to get back to some semblance of normalcy around Christmas.
I hope to god i am wrong, already getting cabin fever and not even a week into lock-downs.
Alright then, if we are working in absolutes.

No it won't. We will be forced into isolation and it will work. Because at this time, some fucking positivity wouldn't go astray.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Alright then, if we are working in absolutes.

No it won't. We will be forced into isolation and it will work. Because at this time, some fucking positivity wouldn't go astray.
Just going off what we know man, better to be pleasantly surprised in a situation like this in my opinion.
FYI i hope like hell you are right.
Alternatively Italy does seem to have a slowing infection rate, which means their 3 weeks of lock-down could be working. We will know for sure in another 2 weeks.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I’ve just reported the story to the media. A journalist will contact me in the next 5 mins. They are extremely interested.

Hopefully an article about this will make people in this backward arse city start taking notice and acting responsibly.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Just going off what we know man, better to be pleasantly surprised in a situation like this in my opinion.
FYI i hope like hell you are right.
Alternatively Italy does seem to have a slowing infection rate, which means their 3 weeks of lock-down could be working. We will know for sure in another 2 weeks.
They had another 6000 over the last 24 hrs. Is that less than previously?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.