Coronavirus / COVID-19

Logan so not to big , there's things being put in place but I feel like alot more could be done.
I had a few days off (not corona related). Last week the place was the way Logan sounds like it is now. The response and preparation has filled me with a lot of confidence.
I get people are worried we could be like Italy, but let's not forget we have 2 massive advantages to them and one not talked about, as well as a few demographic advantages. Our advantages are time and weather. It's no coincidence this pandemic has over ran health systems in the midst of flu season, hospitals are ran at or close to capacity in flu season as it is. Plus warmer weather seems to decrease the infection rate. Time as well, we get to see what works and citizens get to see how serious it is.
Another thing I have FULL confidence in saying is that our health system is the best, or among the best, in the world. Strong in research and excellent culture of following evidence-based practice. Italy isnt bad, but i have heard and seen some things that tell me it isnt at australias level. And this was prior to this pandemic. Not a knock on their system, more a praise to ours.
Also, older demographic (I believe it's got more over 60s then anywhere in the world?), the weather, and the density of the population (65 million in a country half the size of nsw alone-no coincidence this virus has hit new York and higher population dense areas harder).
We should be cautious, work together, have good hygiene and abide by social distancing but we shouldnt panic. And if we actually listen and do the things we should be doing then it will stay this way.
I feel sorry for Italy, but they ha
It will start with 4, and finish with 12 weeks, minimum. Hubei province, the entire province, was locked down for 2 straight months, and that's a Chinese lock-down, meaning no one was allowed outside full-stop.
No supermarket trips, nothing. The only people that were allowed to leave, were critical infrastructure personal ie power/water/utilities, the military and emergency personnel.
Food was delivered by the army to all residents, and if you were caught outside, you were arrested and taken to an isolation camp under military guard.
This is what it takes to stop this thing, and even then, there is every chance it will pop back up once restrictions are eased due to asymptomatic cases.
I foresee mandatory temperature checks and health codes for all Australians before this is done.
Life might start to get back to some semblance of normalcy around Christmas.
I hope to god i am wrong, already getting cabin fever and not even a week into lock-downs.
The big thing will be the 15 minute test kits. Australia should be fpcusing on MASS production these, and I mean mass producing to an insane amount. Every day or maybe evry 2nd day test for essential workers then once a week for non-essential. It's be an insane task to do this but a lot cheaper then icu beds , a lot less lives lost, and lot less demand on the health care system

pagey

NRL Captain
I had a few days off (not corona related). Last week the place was the way Logan sounds like it is now. The response and preparation has filled me with a lot of confidence.
I get people are worried we could be like Italy, but let's not forget we have 2 massive advantages to them and one not talked about, as well as a few demographic advantages. Our advantages are time and weather. It's no coincidence this pandemic has over ran health systems in the midst of flu season, hospitals are ran at or close to capacity in flu season as it is. Plus warmer weather seems to decrease the infection rate. Time as well, we get to see what works and citizens get to see how serious it is.
Another thing I have FULL confidence in saying is that our health system is the best, or among the best, in the world. Strong in research and excellent culture of following evidence-based practice. Italy isnt bad, but i have heard and seen some things that tell me it isnt at australias level. And this was prior to this pandemic. Not a knock on their system, more a praise to ours.
Also, older demographic (I believe it's got more over 60s then anywhere in the world?), the weather, and the density of the population (65 million in a country half the size of nsw alone-no coincidence this virus has hit new York and higher population dense areas harder).
We should be cautious, work together, have good hygiene and abide by social distancing but we shouldnt panic. And if we actually listen and do the things we should be doing then it will stay this way.
I feel sorry for Italy, but they ha

The big thing will be the 15 minute test kits. Australia should be fpcusing on MASS production these, and I mean mass producing to an insane amount. Every day or maybe evry 2nd day test for essential workers then once a week for non-essential. It's be an insane task to do this but a lot cheaper then icu beds , a lot less lives lost, and lot less demand on the health care system
Not panicking otherwise I wouldn't be still working but I just think a complete lockdown sooner rather than later, we need to take the responsibility away from the general public. Follow NZ's lead and don't hesitate, there's still going to be infection but it dramatically lowers it. Being proactive is the way to beat it not sitting on our hands.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
The US are well and truly fucked. They don't have the infrastructure to cope with this for their insured population, much less the uninsured and worse yet, the homeless! 😖

1585272909893.png

Spain is truly fucked as well if they don't curb the curve NOW! Being next to Portugal is anything but reassuring for me... 😢

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The US are well and truly fucked. They don't have the infrastructure to cope with this for their insured population, much less the uninsured and worse yet, the homeless! 😖

View attachment 7567

Spain is truly fucked as well if they don't curb the curve NOW! Being next to Portugal is anything but reassuring for me... 😢
Once the prayers start being answered, I'm sure they'll be fine though.

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Just going off what we know man, better to be pleasantly surprised in a situation like this in my opinion.
FYI i hope like hell you are right.
Alternatively Italy does seem to have a slowing infection rate, which means their 3 weeks of lock-down could be working. We will know for sure in another 2 weeks.
Prepare for the worst and hope like hell for the best......it's the way we should all be thinking right now.

BroncsFan

NRL Player
I noticed some of the experts are suggesting we could have issues with the peak likely to coincide with flu season, but I was wondering aren't the precautions that have been put in place to stem the spread of COVID the same as what would reduce the spread of the flu (border control, social distancing, lockdowns, etc.).

So the spread of the flu may actually be limited because the COVID restrictions are already in place??

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I noticed some of the experts are suggesting we could have issues with the peak likely to coincide with flu season, but I was wondering aren't the precautions that have been put in place to stem the spread of COVID the same as what would reduce the spread of the flu (border control, social distancing, lockdowns, etc.).

So the spread of the flu may actually be limited because the COVID restrictions are already in place??
Given the amount of people who seemingly don't give a **** about the rules in place, I'd expect it to spread just as well as COVID.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
Things I'm getting from the PM's current presser:

- He waffles on like you wouldn't believe, like he's trying to pad out a one minute speech to last five minutes
- Does he do anything? Sounds like it's all up to the states to make decisions and enforce them
- The economy is absolutely, 110% number one, **** the people
- Talking about 'barre memes' and having a giggle (the most unnatural giggle I've ever witnessed)... okay mate, you're allowed to have a laugh, but you're addressing the nation on a matter of unbelievable importance FFS
- He is an alien without a soul, and wipe that fucking jerk smirk off your face

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Things I'm getting from the PM's current presser:

- He waffles on like you wouldn't believe, like he's trying to pad out a one minute speech to last five minutes
- Does he do anything? Sounds like it's all up to the states to make decisions and enforce them
- The economy is absolutely, 110% number one, **** the people
- Talking about 'barre memes' and having a giggle (the most unnatural giggle I've ever witnessed)... okay mate, you're allowed to have a laugh, but you're addressing the nation on a matter of unbelievable importance FFS
- He is an alien without a soul, and wipe that fucking jerk smirk off your face
Brendan Murphy needs to be talking more. He's not bullshit, says what needs to be said.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I think he is doing his best given the circumstances. He isn't a medical expert and is going on advice he is given, isn't that what he should be doing?

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Peñíscola
I think he is doing his best given the circumstances. He isn't a medical expert and is going on advice he is given, isn't that what he should be doing?
Is he definitely going on the medical advice he receives though? I'm not so sure. I think he's picking and choosing what he can, and trying to delay things as much as possible.

But hey, maybe I'm totally wrong.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Is he definitely going on the medical advice he receives though? I'm not so sure. I think he's picking and choosing what he can, and trying to delay things as much as possible.

But hey, maybe I'm totally wrong.
As long as the medical advice isn't unanimously 'Shut everything down immediately' he's going to continue to have as many things open and as many people at risk to community infection as humanly possible.

Because economy.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The thing is though, even in Wuhan, people were still allowed out to get food, go to supermarkets, etc. And according to my sources, etc, China has had a massive loss of jobs as well. The economy does need to be seriously considered. I do agree that this is a duel crisis, both economic and medical. It is an extremely difficult job to try and balance this.

Is he doing everything right? I highly doubt it. Is he trying to make the best decisions to handle both problems? Yes, I believe so. Will his decisions end up being right? I have absolutely no idea but I will tell you this, I don't think there is any simple solution here and almost all of us can think of other or better ways of doing things that work in an ideal world but not according to the reality of the situation as it actually is.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
Fucking ****, Italy's death rate is 10%???
Their capacity is overwhelmed. People who wouldn't die under normal circumstances (available ICU bed and respirator), now do. They are actually doing triage based on best chances of survival, giving up on older people and those with too many complications...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.