Coronavirus / COVID-19

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
Things I'm getting from the PM's current presser:

- He waffles on like you wouldn't believe, like he's trying to pad out a one minute speech to last five minutes
- Does he do anything? Sounds like it's all up to the states to make decisions and enforce them
- The economy is absolutely, 110% number one, **** the people
- Talking about 'barre memes' and having a giggle (the most unnatural giggle I've ever witnessed)... okay mate, you're allowed to have a laugh, but you're addressing the nation on a matter of unbelievable importance FFS
- He is an alien without a soul, and wipe that fucking jerk smirk off your face
Again, if the economy is fucked, so are the people it supports

theshed

NRL Captain
Yeah covid is extremely serious and the loss of life is not something we should accept without doing all we can, but a completely fucked economy may lead to more deaths in the long run. I don’t know the answer I’m not a medical expert or an economist.

There are many many factors at play and a severe lockdown could possibly even be better for the economy in the long run, and alternatively protecting the economy may result in more saved lives if you look at it on a long term level.

I don’t know the answers, intuitively you’d think just shut it all down and see but it isn’t that simple. I hope Scomo is making good decisions based on sound advice.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
The thing is though, even in Wuhan, people were still allowed out to get food, go to supermarkets, etc. And according to my sources, etc, China has had a massive loss of jobs as well. The economy does need to be seriously considered. I do agree that this is a duel crisis, both economic and medical. It is an extremely difficult job to try and balance this.

Is he doing everything right? I highly doubt it. Is he trying to make the best decisions to handle both problems? Yes, I believe so. Will his decisions end up being right? I have absolutely no idea but I will tell you this, I don't think there is any simple solution here and almost all of us can think of other or better ways of doing things that work in an ideal world but not according to the reality of the situation as it actually is.
From what I've read, people were NOT allowed to go out in Wuhan during the lock down. They had food and supplies delivered to them.

Even now from what I've read, if you want to go to the shops to get food you have to go through multiple checkpoints, log yourself in with their new tracking ID, get your temperature measured and recorded, etc.

It's so incredibly different to what happens in the western world.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
From what I've read, people were NOT allowed to go out in Wuhan during the lock down. They had food and supplies delivered to them.

Even now from what I've read, if you want to go to the shops to get food you have to go through multiple checkpoints, log yourself in with their new tracking ID, get your temperature measured and recorded, etc.

It's so incredibly different to what happens in the western world.
Weren’t they welding doors shut in apartment complexes, too?

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
Look I don't like ScoMo at all and I don't think he is doing an amazing job here but at the same time we can't just have a go at him for considering the economy. It is easier to say that human life has to be the number 1 focus but both life and the economy needs to be considered in balance. Destroying the economy without any concern for it at all would result in 'The Purge' and most likely far greater loss of life than COVID-19 on its own.

Last edited:

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
Look I don't like ScoMo at all and I don't think he is doing an amazing job here but at the same time we can't just have a go at him for considering the economy. It is easier to say that human life has to be the number 1 focus but both life and the economy needs to be considered in balance. Destroying the economy without any concern for it at all would result in 'The Purge' and most likely far greater loss of life than COVID-19 on its own.
I had to chuckle at "The Purge". What if COVID-19 results in "The Walking Dead"? 🤪

Anyway, this is a serious matter and yes, the economy must be considered, but most countries which went half-baked measures for the sake of economy are now suffering for it. Italy is the extreme example because of their fucked up health infrastructure and govt without faith in medical (and other) science, which is the direction I see the US go as well, but even Germany is buckling under the logarithmic increase in cases.

We have to flatten the curve, and so far, it appears only fairly draconian measures achieve that...

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
Here's the problem..

Avoiding shutting down everything is going to make the economical collapse worse.

The retailers and other shops that are allowed to stay open currently aren't doing well. People aren't going shopping because they're trying to avoid social situations and they're also trying to save money. The best thing for the economy long-term right now is to shut EVERYTHING down for a month at the very least, flatten the curve completely, allow shops to re-open once Covid-19 has peaked.

Even after that point we're not even remotely in the clear, the government would have to ensure that businesses and members of the community still adhere to strict social distancing and hygiene habits for the next 12-18 months. The economy WILL recover though, small businesses will get by with some government help, the world will go on.

Now, if ScoMo continues his attempt to avoid shutting everything down, we're going to delay the peak of the virus, we're going to make the peak exponentially worse and we're going to prolong the length of the shutdown when it is inevitably put in place. That will destroy the economy. We should've been in full shutdown about a week ago, if it's delayed any further, there will be no flattening of the curve, it will be no longer controllable, much like it is in the U.S. right now. The health system will be overburdened and collapse, thousands more will die, it will take months, even years longer for the economy to rebound than it would've if we had acted earlier.

Meanwhile, New Zealand will be back up and running with minimal deaths and businesses and economy flourishing within a few of months, because they have a leader with balls.

Alec

International Rep
Love him or hate him, but ScoMo has had the toughest time as PM that I can remember in a long time, and he's only been PM for about 1.5 years. Massive drought, some of the worst bushfires ever, and now this shit.

roo-ted

NRL Player
think he is doing the best he can really. The stupidity of people is the main thing that is worsening the situation. The health minister said that a high majority of cases are from people coming over seas and not self isolating properly or people knowing the have the virus and not self isolating.

Scomo is getting advice from the top medical and economic experts in the country/world so if you aren’t an expert shut up and do what you are told. Or better yet self isolate without the government having to tell you to do it. Throw your job in and see how far $500 a week from Centrelink gets you.

The only difference I would like to see is people not having the option to self isolating. It should be forced isolation

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
think he is doing the best he can really. The stupidity of people is the main thing that is worsening the situation. The health minister said that a high majority of cases are from people coming over seas and not self isolating properly or people knowing the have the virus and not self isolating.

Scomo is getting advice from the top medical and economic experts in the country/world so if you are an expert shut up and do what you are told. Or better yet self isolate without the government having to tell you to do it. Throw your job in and see how far $500 a week from Centrelink gets you.

The only difference I would like to see is people not having the option to self isolating. It should be forced isolation
He said today that anyone entering will be put into forced isolation in a hotel in whatever state capital they end up in.

lynx000

NRL Captain
Waiting to win lotto
Love him or hate him, but ScoMo has had the toughest time as PM that I can remember in a long time, and he's only been PM for about 1.5 years. Massive drought, some of the worst bushfires ever, and now this shit.
You know what I think, regardless of who is in office, when the shit is hitting the fan like it is, it is poor form to play party politics around an issue as important as this. I am not having a go at anyone on here, more what I have seen on other forms of social media. I think it is simply a time where we have to support the government and each other as best we can. Firstly, by just staying home, but people just don't seem to get it.

I would not want Morrison's job at the best of times, he and the government have to tread a fine line given it is both a health crisis and an economic crisis. At the end of the day, no matter what the government chooses to do, it is likely to be wrong in the eyes of a fair percentage of the community.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
He’s actually looking like a fucking rockstar atm compared to how he fucked the bushfires up

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
He’s actually looking like a fucking rockstar atm compared to how he fucked the bushfires up
I don't reckon he is anymore. He waffles on forever and the information he gives is delivered pretty weak lately. The whole thank you Australia thing today at the start, sure nice and all, but shut up and tell us about the meeting we are all here to listen about.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I ended up realising that I’m getting far too anxious over things I can’t really control. In fact, my anxiety went through the roof this morning over the whole cough-joke-gate thing. While I did report it, I’m not sure it was worth the effort.

Most of us with pre-existing clinical anxiety issues are really suffering with the 24hr news cycle and coranvirus. Plenty of people without these medical issues are also suffering anxiety, too.

I ended up taking a Valium at about midday and having a lie down. After a nap, I’ve realised I just need to concern myself about my family, as the rest is just making me bloody angry and taking away from what really matters. Time to limit the news and articles I’ve been reading/watching and refocus.

Take care everyone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYNNUMMANLYBRONCO

Twitter