Coronavirus / COVID-19

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
I’m hearing talk of government paying 80% of people’s wages. Not sure how it’ll be calculated or how this effects casual workers

I’m hearing talk of government paying 80% of people’s wages. Not sure how it’ll be calculated or how this effects casual workers
I may be biased but healthcare workers are extrodinarily underpaid as it is. I could see a lot quitting if this happens. Why go to work, risk getting your loved ones very sick/dying, when you can stay at home and decrease your exposure risk substantially for 80% of your pay...

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I may be biased but healthcare workers are extrodinarily underpaid as it is. I could see a lot quitting if this happens. Why go to work, risk getting your loved ones very sick/dying, when you can stay at home and decrease your exposure risk substantially for 80% of your pay...
You won’t get paid if you quit your job. Pretty standard rule for Centrelink.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Well for starters you'd assume this subsidy would only cover industries where they can prove they had to reduce hours, or be let go if not for a subsidy, so it wouldn't cover health workers I bet.

Thanks BTW, health workers are the real heroes in our society today and I'm all for them getting paid more and less to dickhead CEOs and sport stars. I wish society would balance wages better than it is now but that's a topic for a different thread.

You won’t get paid if you quit your job. Pretty standard rule for Centrelink.
I did figure that, more a broad/general statement than a factual one. But the nurses in the privatr hospitals who could/are losing their jobs will not be lining up for jobs if this is offered, and why shouldn't it be offered to them, they were victims of the same crisis.
Healthcare and medical workers are not as well paid as what people think. Terrible in fact when you consider the hecs fees. I do my job because I love it and I'd never change it but I don't blame people for leaving the hospital system. My mates have houses, get plenty back in tax each year and still make more then me 5 years out of uni. I was a tradie before just like them, I got paid more as a personal trainer too.
There's death every day, there's infectious diseases in hospital all the time, ive been shitted and pissed on, patients have abused me, ive heard of workmates getting choked, families and patients often think you're their personal servant.. and im not evem a nurse, they grt it worse! Especially in ED or psych wards, paramedics have it even worse again.
No health care worker is in it for the money, but i reckon healthcare workers in the uk would trade in all those claps of gratitude from the royal family for a few extra pounds in the bank account each week, in the modern world that is how people feel valued....
I think people deserve 80% pay and I don't begrudge anyone of it. But there has not been one policy put in place or incentive given to healthcare workers to risk taking this home to their families outside of "thanks" from the government...

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
When all this is said and done, Australians need to organize and force the government to increase the base wages of all health care workers across the board substantially.
They are literally the most important cog in societies machine, as is evident when the world sees disasters like this occur.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Do you mean if we go full lock down?

Boris did that in the UK.
I can't see this being on a long term basis. The country would take too long to recover.
I wish scomo would explain why they think this slow months long partial lock down is better than a 3 to 4 week
full lock down.
I haven't spoken to 1 person be it employee or employer who feels this is a better way to go.
This way has to be costing us so much more as individuals and as a nation.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW

I can't see this being on a long term basis. The country would take too long to recover.
I wish scomo would explain why they think this slow months long partial lock down is better than a 3 to 4 week
full lock down.
I haven't spoken to 1 person be it employee or employer who feels this is a better way to go.
Agreed.
Better to lockdown for winter as well, this thing is apparently more transmissible in the cold, lives longer on surfaces, etc etc and it will coincide with the winter flu season.
Lockdown for all of winter. have the military do a quarantine and disinfecting sweep of all cities and towns in this time, while delivering food to each household.
only 100% essential infrastructure people to be allowed to leave their homes, with decontamination regulations in place.
Brutal, and logistically nightmarish, but anything else will cause this to linger too long and the long term effect on both peoples mental health and the economy will be devastating.
This bit by bit little by little lockdown does literally nothing good in the long run.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
When all this is said and done, Australians need to organize and force the government to increase the base wages of all health care workers across the board substantially.
They are literally the most important cog in societies machine, as is evident when the world sees disasters like this occur.
I don’t disagree but it’s not like they get paid poorly as it is
- Merged

full lock down.
All the businesses that are still open think it’s the better way to go, otherwise they’d all just go and shut up shop.

Last edited:

Thelmus

NRL Player
this thing is definitely going to explode, my Aunty works up the coast in emergency they had a couple that had a motorcycle crash come in, they were tested for it and it was positive! they’ve had no known contact with anyone back from overseas or any of the “check list” or symptoms. Yikes

Was at Aldi today picking up essentials, I wore a mask and gloves “looked like a tool” but **** it I’ve got two young kids that can’t look after themselves with my wife and I sick. sooooo many people coughing into their hands and then obviously touching stuff or keeping the “safe” distance. It’s like, do you not see what’s happening overseas? This she’ll be right attitude is going to ram us in the dot SOOO hard.
End rant
we did the same thing at Bunnings and going to vote. I've got my 86 year old father with me and my partner is not well (she had a car accident years ago and smokes). Suffice to say you're not alone.

Allo

NRL Captain
I would, I went yesterday and felt paranoid about everything I touched lol
Definitely wash your hands as soon as you get home.

Prepare yourself for blatant rudeness
I’m bad enough as it is. Not to mention the addictive nature of using hand sanitizer

I worked retail for 12 years. I don’t take shit from no-one

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
I don’t disagree but it’s not like they get paid poorly as it is
- Merged

All the businesses that are still open think it’s the better way to go, otherwise they’d all just go and shut up shop.
Why would they when they are still making money AND getting all the goodies from the ATO to help them keep the doors open.
I still would like scomo to explain the differences. They must have modelling they're working off so tell us why its better doing it this way instead of full lock down like other countries have ( and its worked btw).
All he has said, to my knowledge, is be careful what you wish for. **** that, explain it so we all understand it.

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
Why would they when they are still making money AND getting all the goodies from the ATO to help them keep the doors open.
I still would like scomo to explain the differences. They must have modelling they're working off so tell us why its better doing it this way instead of full lock down like other countries have ( and its worked btw).
All he has said, to my knowledge, is be careful what you wish for. **** that, explain it so we all understand it.
Reading between the lines, we’d be fucked if everything closed.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYNNUMMANLYBRONCO

Members online

Twitter