Coronavirus / COVID-19

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
I think, if you take a cruise in the middle of a pandemic, you deserve what you get.
Same go's with international travelers.
I mean, how stupid do you have to be.
It's really not that simple. I had a $15k holiday planned beginning in 10 days ( San Fran and Hawaii , Mexico inc 15 day cruise).
WE could not cancel due to covid because insurance doesn't cover pandemic. So we would have had to decide to take our chances, or drop most of the cost if we made the call.

We were really undecided because the US hadn't been affected at the time we were still eligible for any type of part refund but we were also aware how fast things were developing.
Luckily Princess offered 100% money back plus a 25% future cruise credit because they made the cancellation call, not us.

We have received a full refund of our San Fran accommodation for the same reason but as recently as a week ago we had accepted that we had lost that .

Cuntas Airlines are the only ones we are going to lose $$ to. They cancelled our flight, not us, while we had an open booking but refused to give us a full refund. Best we could do was put our fares into suspension but could only use them in 1 purchase and by the end of October this year or pay a $400 cancellation fee per ticket.

I can understand why people made those decisions because for most of them they were locked in and covid was somewhere overseas at decision time.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
It's really not that simple. I had a $15k holiday planned beginning in 10 days ( San Fran and Hawaii , Mexico inc 15 day cruise).
WE could not cancel due to covid because insurance doesn't cover pandemic. So we would have had to decide to take our chances, or drop most of the cost if we made the call.

We were really undecided because the US hadn't been affected at the time we were still eligible for any type of part refund but we were also aware how fast things were developing.
Luckily Princess offered 100% money back plus a 25% future cruise credit because they made the cancellation call, not us.

We have received a full refund of our San Fran accommodation for the same reason but as recently as a week ago we had accepted that we had lost that .

Cuntas Airlines are the only ones we are going to lose $$ to. They cancelled our flight, not us, while we had an open booking but refused to give us a full refund. Best we could do was put our fares into suspension but could only use them in 1 purchase and by the end of October this year or pay a $400 cancellation fee per ticket.

I can understand why people made those decisions because for most of them they were locked in and covid was somewhere overseas at decision time.
Yea i understand your point, and i get it, but at the same time, this thing has been spreading rapidly around the world for the better part of 4 months, Italy has been a shitshow for at least 2 months and the news has been doing the best fear campaign ive seen since 9/11.
Money just cannot compare to your life, and everyone knows that Cruise ships are petri dishes
at the best of times, let alone in the middle of a pandemic.
So while it sucks badly to lose money you have put into something, especially something you have been looking forward to for a long time, it just cant compare to the cost it could have in a situation like this.
You can make money again, you cant get a second go around if you die from an infectious disease.

edit - glad you got a full refund, takes the sting out of it a bit at least.

Last edited:

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
A lot of these cruise ships started their journey long before Coronavirus was officially declared a pandemic.

It's easy to say now that people shouldn't have got on a cruise but at the time there were a very small number of cases and I don't think many people could say with absolute certainty that they saw this coming.

A pandemic isn't a regular event. You can count the amount of pandemics in the past 100 years on one hand.

Purple Pills

QCup Player
Everyone can stop worrying..... it's over, this virus is done for..

Scomo prayed for us! Hallelujah! The all powerful being that would have created this if he was real can now end it due to a prayer, which I'm sure no one had ever done in Italy or middle America! This time it will work! Hallelujah! No vaccines for us everyone, pray is the way!
Don’t worry, when the prayer route inevitably fails, those lot then can then hide behind the ‘this was god’s plan all along, he works in mysterious ways’ cop out excuse they’ve been using for centuries

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
A lot of these cruise ships started their journey long before Coronavirus was officially declared a pandemic.

It's easy to say now that people shouldn't have got on a cruise but at the time there were a very small number of cases and I don't think many people could say with absolute certainty that they saw this coming.

A pandemic isn't a regular event. You can count the amount of pandemics in the past 100 years on one hand.
How long is the average cruise? ive never been on one so i dont know, but i dont imagine they last for 4 months at a time?
So i just googled it, the Average cruise is 7 days, with the longest cruises lasting roughly 35 days.

So that's a copout excuse that they all went on the cruise before the shit hit the fan.
unless everyone that went on a cruise took the longest available option in early march.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGH

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
How long is the average cruise? ive never been on one so i dont know, but i dont imagine they last for 4 months at a time?
Yeah I gathered that. Some cruises go for 106 nights. It's very common for around 30 night cruises but I would say 14 to 21 days is average.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Just remember not too many of those people would have chosen to go if they felt the danger was too high.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Yeah I gathered that. Some cruises go for 106 nights. It's very common for around 30 night cruises but I would say 14 to 21 days is average.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing though. Just remember not too many of those people would have chosen to go if they felt the danger was too high.
Jesus, i want to go on a 100 night cruise, that would be bloody amazing.
Might have to get on it when this all passes, i imagine it will be cheap as chips.

Gaz

NRL Player
I think, if you take a cruise in the middle of a pandemic, you deserve what you get.
Same go's with international travelers.
I mean, how stupid do you have to be.
Point missed.
Why are they being allowed into my home town when not allowed elsewhere. Why are they not being reported as docking here. Let’s get real, can’t be one rule for us and another for these mother fuckers transporting this shit from one place to another. **** off.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Point missed.
Why are they being allowed into my home town when not allowed elsewhere. Why are they not being reported as docking here. Let’s get real, can’t be one rule for us and another for these mother fuckers transporting this shit from one place to another. **** off.
Yea i agree.
The first case was reported in my town 4 days ago, apparently caught it while overseas, which got me asking, how the **** did he get all the way back to my little country town without being locked down in a hotel in the city as is the law right now for returning travelers?

Old Mate

NRL Player
Point missed.
I live in the ass end of nsw and felt like that, they’d let these cruise ships in which were denied elsewhere.

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Suncorp Stadium
So i just googled it, the Average cruise is 7 days, with the longest cruises lasting roughly 35 days.

So that's a copout excuse that they all went on the cruise before the shit hit the fan.
unless everyone that went on a cruise took the longest available option in early march.
The Ruby Princess left Sydney on the 8th of March and went around New Zealand.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Except they did go on the cruise before shit hit the fan.

Australia had less than 100 cases with the majority of those cases returned travelers, it wasn't yet regarded as a pandemic and the risk level in Australia was deemed as low by the AHPPC.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Except they did go on the cruise before shit hit the fan.

Australia had less than 100 cases with the majority of those cases returned travelers, it wasn't yet regarded as a pandemic and the risk level in Australia was deemed as low by the AHPPC.
No they didn't.
The ship departed Australia on march 8, 3 days before COVID19 was officially declared a pandemic by the WHO, but by this stage, it was world news about what was going on and Scott Morrison had already declared this a national emergency and advised Australians against travel as of February 27.
Italy already had 10k cases by this stage and a rapidly rising deathtoll.
So at the very least, these people went on a cruise knowing full well that shit was getting real all around the world.

Rookie Alan

NYC Player
Now I get it why there are still so many people ignoring social distances and keep party or go to the beach, coz the danger was not too high.

I think we’ve only talked about the risk they would bring to themselves compared financially loss, but we didn’t mention what risk they’d bring to the place they live in or work at.

I personally would call that a bit selfish.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Now I get it why there are still so many people ignoring social distances and keep party or go to the beach, coz the danger was not too high.

I think we’ve only talked about the risk they would bring to themselves compared financially loss, but we didn’t mention what risk they’d bring to the place they live in or work at.

I personally would call that a bit selfish.
Actually, I don't think you get it TBH.

Gaz

NRL Player
Carnival Splendour has left and now the Carnival Spirit is at Fishermans Wharf. Queen Elizabeth is outside Sunshine Coast and heading to Brisbane.
Just saying.

p.s. There are no cruise ships in NSW waters except Ruby Princess.

Last edited:

Gaz

NRL Player
My next door neighbours father passed away yesterday from the Rona. Was a passenger of the Ruby Princess. Mother has it too but is recovering.

Thelmus

NRL Player
S
Yeah it’s true. When I first came back, I wore a face mask for a few days after the isolation period just for piece of mind in case I still had it but didn’t know and even though my tests had comeback negative. I’m not Asian but I had a number of people, mostly young men, having a go at me. There are always idiots in every country at every age unfortunately and this kind of situation seems to bring out the worst in a lot of people. The best in a few though it must be said.
Sorry to hear it. Theres still plenty of good people out there though. The place my dad is going for some tests is letting him in early so he doesn't have to mingle with others. We just have to not let the anxieties cloud our judgement in these trying times.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
michel nguyen

Twitter