Coronavirus / COVID-19

theshed

NRL Captain
In a bit of good news for a change, it appears that Australia is doing really well in terms of dragging down total new infections per day, which has been on a steady decline for the past week:

If this trend holds into early/mid May, I think we will see the NRL pushing for the competition to resume by June 1st with no audiences at the grounds and will remain that way for the rest of the season. State of Origin 2020 will go on to rate its ass off as the hype + boredom of the whole country boils over
not to mention that everyone has to watch origin at home and not in pubs or at mates houses. That alone will triple the ratings.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
No they didn't.
The ship departed Australia on march 8, 3 days before COVID19 was officially declared a pandemic by the WHO, but by this stage, it was world news about what was going on and Scott Morrison had already declared this a national emergency and advised Australians against travel as of February 27.
Italy already had 10k cases by this stage and a rapidly rising deathtoll.
So at the very least, these people went on a cruise knowing full well that shit was getting real all around the world.
Yeah he did, after shit had hit the fan in Australia. The advise prior to that was not to travel to certain places with the main one being China.

Italy had 10,000+ cases, China was burning to the ground, this and that was happening in other countries in other parts of the world but none of that was happening in Australia at the time. That's a very important factor here.

We had under 100 cases, in fact under 80 I believe with no deaths. Community transmission wasn't a problem. It was not yet declared a pandemic. The AHPPC deemed the risk in Australia to be low and as revealed in that segment on the Ruby Princess, people were being told it was okay. Everything was business as usual in Australia while a few other countries far away were going to shit.

I can't think of anyone that would have written off thousands of dollars under those circumstances.

It's very easy to say now, after everything that has happened and all of the info we have now, that people shouldn't have done this and people shouldn't have done that. And they shouldn't have. But it was very different at that time. There was widespread belief that if you haven't been to China or Italy or if you weren't going to the countries where the cases were getting worse that it will be okay.

Allo

NRL Captain
Only just saw the brief bit of what the Seppos are going through on ABC news at work tonight. ~600 deaths a day? They’re farrrrrked

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Yeah he did, after shit had hit the fan in Australia. The advise prior to that was not to travel to certain places with the main one being China.

Italy had 10,000+ cases, China was burning to the ground, this and that was happening in other countries in other parts of the world but none of that was happening in Australia at the time. That's a very important factor here.

We had under 100 cases, in fact under 80 I believe with no deaths. Community transmission wasn't a problem. It was not yet declared a pandemic. The AHPPC deemed the risk in Australia to be low and as revealed in that segment on the Ruby Princess, people were being told it was okay. Everything was business as usual in Australia while a few other countries far away were going to shit.

I can't think of anyone that would have written off thousands of dollars under those circumstances.

It's very easy to say now, after everything that has happened and all of the info we have now, that people shouldn't have done this and people shouldn't have done that. And they shouldn't have. But it was very different at that time. There was widespread belief that if you haven't been to China or Italy or if you weren't going to the countries where the cases were getting worse that it will be okay.
I guess, but anyone paying any kind of attention will have known that this was serious by that stage.
Most of the cruise ship passengers are older, it was known that Italy's elderly population was being hit hardest, the fact that there was a government warning against travel should be enough to know that its serious.
I agree its easier to say all this in hindsight, but i think if you are an older person, you should be a lot wiser when it comes to your health and not take the risk.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I guess, but anyone paying any kind of attention will have known that this was serious by that stage.
Most of the cruise ship passengers are older, it was known that Italy's elderly population was being hit hardest, the fact that there was a government warning against travel should be enough to know that its serious.
I agree its easier to say all this in hindsight, but i think if you are an older person, you should be a lot wiser when it comes to your health and not take the risk.
The Government, and companies, those who the passengers rely on to say "Yes / No" said yes. That's the end of it. There is no other blame to the customers, so move your anger to those who need it.

Rookie Alan

NYC Player
The Government, and companies, those who the passengers rely on to say "Yes / No" said yes. That's the end of it. There is no other blame to the customers, so move your anger to those who need it.
I’m not defending the government for all the decisions they made, but I’m thinking they are definitely doing a decent job this time, every single decision they made is based on a lot factors, only reason and unpredictable is they can’t tell how stupid people can be.

How many people still doing stupid things even there’re over 60,000 deaths around the world?
“Not high risk to myself, my family.
I’m young people, I won’t get it.
I exercise everyday and will recover even I get it. “

When money involved, it’s getting worse, people will try every single reason to find a way to make it. But in the end, it’s not just your own life but also whoever breath same air, live on same land. So as an adult, you are accountable for the decision you made, that’s the end of it.

Plus, wearing condoms to have sex with people who have HIV considered not high risk, but would you do it? ( No offense to people who have it, but limited to my knowledge, can’t think of any other case atm)

This is a public forum, is it? So as long as it’s not made personal, I think people are more than welcome to express their opinions, ideas or feelings, so I would say Midean ? should feel free to express his anger towards any issue as long as he’s not making it personal

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
This is a public forum, is it? So as long as it’s not made personal, I think people are more than welcome to express their opinions, ideas or feelings, so I would say Midean ? should feel free to express his anger towards any issue as long as he’s not making it personal
Yes, he is free to express his opinion but so is everyone else and if there are reasons for a rebuttal, why shouldn't that be allowed? This isn't fake news era America here, where you can just dismiss facts because you don't like them.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Anger? what anger? pull your head in mate, its a discussion, no one here is angry.
And in this day and age you have to use your own judgement based on the information available, not just make a decision based on what our government says.
Look at the bigger picture if you will.

Last edited:

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Anger? what anger? pull your head in mate, its a discussion, no one here is angry.
And in this day and age you have to use your own judgement based on the information available, not just make a decision based on what our government says.
Look at the bigger picture if you will.
That's not how society works, just because it's how you operate. The Government give the travel advice. It really is that simple.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
That's not how society works, just because it's how you operate. The Government give the travel advice. It really is that simple.
Not how society works? You are telling me people listen to their government and ignore everything else?
That's asinine and just not true.
We have the internet with global news.
If you own a computer or a TV, you know whats going on around the world, and regardless if your own government advises you on something, doesn't make you oblivious to what is going on elsewhere.
Its like you are operating with blinders on, ignoring everything in your peripheral and only listening to what your own government says.
I find that really weird.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Not how society works? You are telling me people listen to their government and ignore everything else?
That's asinine and just not true.
We have the internet with global news.
If you own a computer or a TV, you know whats going on around the world, and regardless if your own government advises you on something, doesn't make you oblivious to what is going on elsewhere.
Its like you are operating with blinders on, ignoring everything in your peripheral and only listening to what your own government says.
I find that really weird.
We aren't experts, no one is. Our Government provides travel advice. Again. That simple.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
approx 80000 people have died in approx 3 months. I was interested in the influenza numbers for the same time frame....a quick google search has this article (not sure how reliable it is) saying 46000 deaths, which is above average apparently.

What a scary time we are in. This corona virus is nightmare stuff.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
approx 80000 people have died in approx 3 months. I was interested in the influenza numbers for the same time frame....a quick google search has this article (not sure how reliable it is) saying 46000 deaths, which is above average apparently.

What a scary time we are in. This corona virus is nightmare stuff.

6.8% mortality rate for flu seems really high according to that data.
7.3% is considered a level to declare it an epidemic.
Coronavirus global mortality rate is 3.4%
Something seems off with those numbers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DollyHurst

Members online

Twitter