Coronavirus / COVID-19

broncsgoat

State of Origin Rep
6.8% mortality rate for flu seems really high according to that data.
7.3% is considered a level to declare it an epidemic.
Coronavirus global mortality rate is 3.4%
Something seems off with those numbers.
It's up over 10% in Italy, Spain, France, England etc - wonder why they're so fucked? Crazy there's such a disparity between them and say Germany - who are at are around 2%.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
It's up over 10% in Italy, Spain, France, England etc - wonder why they're so fucked? Crazy there's such a disparity between them and say Germany - who are at are around 2%.
Yea its strange and really inconsistent. Ive read it could be genetic, some people have more ACE2 receptors in their lungs that the virus binds to and reproduces on.
Ive read its because of Italy's aged population that is skewing the data, but then you look at Japan, which has a vastly older population than Italy, and it doesn't have anywhere near the same mortality rate.
Ive read its due to comorbidity's like diabetes and obesity, but America is rife with those and still doesn't have a mortality rate as high as Italy.
It just all seems so inconsistent and hard to confirm any correlation between why some people die, and others just get a sniffle.
Cant wait for this shit year to be over to be honest.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
6.8% mortality rate for flu seems really high according to that data.
7.3% is considered a level to declare it an epidemic.
Coronavirus global mortality rate is 3.4%
Something seems off with those numbers.
I wonder if people dying from the "flu" are in fact dying from the Rona and not getting tested for it? Or perhaps the people dying from confirmed cases of the flu are also infected with Rona. Or perhaps even the hospitals are too busy dealing with Rona outbreak that people who would normally need hospitalisation and treatment for the flu are not getting the high level of care. So many factors to consider.

All very alarming no matter what is going on. I was relieved to see that the CMO came out and said Australia is NOT considering herd immunity. Unlike those idiots Bolt and co on Sky news keep saying is the only solution "Herd immunity is the way to go, yes, people will die, but it's the only logical solution blah blah blah" I wonder if they'd say that if they were one of the people to die??

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
I wonder if people dying from the "flu" are in fact dying from the Rona and not getting tested for it? Or perhaps the people dying from confirmed cases of the flu are also infected with Rona. Or perhaps even the hospitals are too busy dealing with Rona outbreak that people who would normally need hospitalisation and treatment for the flu are not getting the high level of care. So many factors to consider.

All very alarming no matter what is going on. I was relieved to see that the CMO came out and said Australia is NOT considering herd immunity. Unlike those idiots Bolt and co on Sky news keep saying is the only solution "Herd immunity is the way to go, yes, people will die, but it's the only logical solution blah blah blah" I wonder if they'd say that if they were one of the people to die??
Exactly. I don't want to risk my mum or grandparents on herd immunity, i will lock down for the next 2 years if i have to.

Reactions: LGH

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
You won’t need to.

It’s pretty much stopped in our locale as it is.
Thank god we are not in America, have been reading multiple articles this morning on the Feds confiscating PPE equipment (n95 masks, gowns, gloves, surgical masks, antibacterial wipes) from multiple hospitals and medical facilities across the United States to stockpile for their military.
Scary time to be an American.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Thank god we are not in America, have been reading multiple articles this morning on the Feds confiscating PPE equipment (n95 masks, gowns, gloves, surgical masks, antibacterial wipes) from multiple hospitals and medical facilities across the United States to stockpile for their military.
Scary time to be an American.
Do you have those articles?

The ones I've read said they are distributing PPE equipment confiscated by the Hoarding and Price Gouging Task Force to medical facilities.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
Do you have those articles?

The ones I've read said they are distributing PPE equipment confiscated by the Hoarding and Price Gouging Task Force to medical facilities.

Just a few among many reports.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane

Just a few among many reports.
I would also like to see the reports saying they are stockpiling for their military.

Based on those articles and other articles I've read, it sounds like what they are actually doing is creating a new system of distribution where they gather up all of the PPE equipment and distribute them based on who needs them the most and county's can apply for equipment from that stockpile.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I would also like to see the reports saying they are stockpiling for their military.

Based on those articles and other articles I've read, it sounds like what they are actually doing is creating a new system of distribution where they gather up all of the PPE equipment and distribute them based on who needs them the most and county's can apply for equipment from that stockpile.
That's what I would assume, but it seems odd that they wouldn't announce it.

Perhaps they're too embarassed that the greatest country on Earth doesn't seem to have any form of Government held PPE.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
That's what I would assume, but it seems odd that they wouldn't announce it.

Perhaps they're too embarassed that the greatest country on Earth doesn't seem to have any form of Government held PPE.
Yea the fact they are coming in, flashing a badge and taking everything without a word is whats odd.
There was one article that said the feds were accompanied by Military police, and were packing all the supplies into military trucks, however i imagine a lot of US military is mobilized right now for that very purpose so a lot of it is assumption.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Everything is just fucked in America.

There are a lot of hospitals that desperately needed the equipment they had coming only for the Federal Government to swoop in and take it from them without a word as to why.

It has led to doctors to try and find other sources and paying a lot more than the actual price they are worth on the market.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Everything is just fucked in America.

There are a lot of hospitals that desperately needed the equipment they had coming only for the Federal Government to swoop in and take it from them without a word as to why.

It has led to doctors to try and find other sources and paying a lot more than the actual price they are worth on the market.
Well no one does Capitalism like America.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
So apparently a lot of people in Wuhan have booked flights to other countries, one of them being Australia.

Are all of those Australians trying to come home? If not, then I hope the Government tell them to **** right off.
Yea no way man, should be a total travel ban until this thing is over, with only absolutely necessary personnel and supplies allowed into the country.
And i hate to say it, but i would ban the balls off any Chinese nationals coming into the country until they have been cleared by an Australian medical team under quarantine for a minimum of a month, at the cost of the CCP of course.

Last edited:

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
So apparently a lot of people in Wuhan have booked flights to other countries, one of them being Australia.

Are all of those Australians trying to come home? If not, then I hope the Government tell them to **** right off.
I'm pretty sure that current travel restrictions state....unless you're an Australian resident/citizen, you can't come in.

theshed

NRL Captain
Yea no way man, should be a total travel ban until this thing is over, with only absolutely necessary personnel and supplies allowed into the country.
And i hate to say it, but i would ban the balls off any Chinese nationals coming into the country until they have been cleared by an Australian medical team under quarantine for a minimum of a month, at the cost of the CCP of course.
what about those from the UK, Italy, Spain, and the United States?

China has less active cases than we do.

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris

First week their lockdown restrictions are lifted and they want to travel already? How can they even book flights at the moment... grubs better not be let in by our government

Alec

International Rep
I'm pretty sure that current travel restrictions state....unless you're an Australian resident/citizen, you can't come in.
Yep, that's correct. They can book all the want, but they are not allowed yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JulietaRai

Members online

Twitter