Coronavirus / COVID-19

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yep, that's correct. They can book all the want, but they are not allowed yet.
Family members can also enter the country even if those family members live in the country they are departing from and are not Australian citizens/residents.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
what about those from the UK, Italy, Spain, and the United States?

China has less active cases than we do.
Anyone, from any country, that has a case of Coronavirus. But i mean, the epicenter of the pandemic? I would ban any travel out of that place for the next 50 years personally.

BroncsFan

NRL Captain
So apparently a lot of people in Wuhan have booked flights to other countries, one of them being Australia.

Are all of those Australians trying to come home? If not, then I hope the Government tell them to **** right off.
Borders are still closed aren't they??

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
Wtf are they going to do here as tourists? Nothing is open and everywhere is banned. It’d be a dumb decision all round to want to travel here now.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Wow nice overreactions there people. The borders are still closed and anyone coming in from anywhere still has to quarantine in hotels for 14 days. A few pretty racist comments just coming out above, pretty poor form.

And also, not everyone in Wuhan had it, in fact comparative to the population size, it was a small number and even so, given how long they’ve been under lockdown, they are probably safer than any of us are.

Regardless, if they come in and serve the mandatory quarantine which they have to do, what is the problem other than an excuse for racism?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Wow nice overreactions there people. The borders are still closed and anyone coming in from anywhere still has to quarantine in hotels for 14 days. A few pretty racist comments just coming out above, pretty poor form.

And also, not everyone in Wuhan had it, in fact comparative to the population size, it was a small number and even so, given how long they’ve been under lockdown, they are probably safer than any of us are.

Regardless, if they come in and serve the mandatory quarantine which they have to do, what is the problem other than an excuse for racism?
That's only because you believe the numbers from China.

theshed

NRL Captain
Do they though.....
im as sceptical of their official numbers as anyone but to single China out at this point is pretty petty. I agree they shouldn’t be coming in unless it’s extremely necessary and they go through a strict quarantine process but so should people from anywhere.
Chinese are no bigger risk than many other countries citizens at this point, and in fact may be less of a risk than many countries.

Galah

QCup Player
Brisbane
im as sceptical of their official numbers as anyone but to single China out at this point is pretty petty. I agree they shouldn’t be coming in unless it’s extremely necessary and they go through a strict quarantine process but so should people from anywhere.
Chinese are no bigger risk than many other countries citizens at this point, and in fact may be less of a risk than many countries.
I’m just pointing out that I don’t believe the numbers being reported and that’s very much directed towards the Chinese government.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW

I think you have racism confused with genuine concern.
I highly doubt anyone here is racist, and the reason people don't want to see anyone from Wuhan in particular come into the country right now is directly related to what has happened over the past 4 months and there is a level of concern regarding the CCP's data they have released.
I for one don't want to see anyone from any of the hot-spots allowed into the country till this thing blows over.
That means no one from America, UK, Italy, Spain, France or China.
If a Kiwi, or a Canadian or a German wants to come in, that's fine with me, so long as they do their mandatory quarantine and test negative at the end of that, then there is no issue.
In regards to Wuhan though, there is most definitely going to be a stigma associated with that city in particular as it was the epicenter of the outbreak, that's not racism, that's association.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I think you have racism confused with genuine concern.
I highly doubt anyone here is racist, and the reason people don't want to see anyone from Wuhan in particular come into the country right now is directly related to what has happened over the past 4 months and there is a level of concern regarding the CCP's data they have released.
I for one don't want to see anyone from any of the hot-spots allowed into the country till this thing blows over.
That means no one from America, UK, Italy, Spain, France or China.
If a Kiwi, or a Canadian or a German wants to come in, that's fine with me, so long as they do their mandatory quarantine and test negative at the end of that, then there is no issue.
In regards to Wuhan though, there is most definitely going to be a stigma associated with that city in particular as it was the epicenter of the outbreak, that's not racism, that's association.
No I haven't got it confused. It is racist to single out Chinese people now. It doesn't matter if they are from Wuhan, Lombardia, New York or Wellington, EVERYONE who comes into Australia has to be in hotels quarantined for 14 days. Whether the stats out of China or anywhere are accurate or not is totally irrelevant because of the enforced quarantine. So to single out any race is totally unfair or at worst, racist. And the fact you included Germany in your list of ok areas speaks to a bit of ignorance or lack of fact checking.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
No I haven't got it confused. It is racist to single out Chinese people now. It doesn't matter if they are from Wuhan, Lombardia, New York or Wellington, EVERYONE who comes into Australia has to be in hotels quarantined for 14 days. Whether the stats out of China or anywhere are accurate or not is totally irrelevant because of the enforced quarantine. So to single out any race is totally unfair or at worst, racist. And the fact you included Germany in your list of ok areas speaks to a bit of ignorance or lack of fact checking.
Im not up to date on Germany's numbers to be honest, so that may have been a bad example.
My point is people are right to be concerned with Wuhan in particular, especially with the CCP not reporting the right numbers.
We don't know if Wuhan is 1000 times worse than Italy, because China's government lied about their numbers, this is more about erring on the side of caution in regards to the epicenter of the pandemic.
Also i am not singling out any race, im singling out hot spots, there is a very big difference here so calling out racism in this regard is nonsense.
I don't want a single person from Lombardy to come into Australia right now, the same go's for Wuhan, or Madrid or New York.
I completely understand peoples hesitation in allowing people from those locations into the country, and where Wuhan is concerned even more so, not because they are Chinese, but because that was the epicenter of this whole mess, and because we cant trust the numbers we are being told by the CCP.
Throwing out the racist card is a knee-jerk reaction to a very real worry people have in concerns to those specific hot spots.

Last edited:
Reactions: LGH

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
I haven't got an issue with anyone coming in to the country if they're being quarantined under military guard for 14 days.

The only potential harm is going to be to the tax payer. It can't be cheap to quarantine that amount of people for that amount of time in reasonably high quality hotels..

Midean

QCup Player
NSW

This is a bad idea imo.
I know people are getting cabin fever, and the economy is suffering terribly, but i just dont think now is the time to take the foot off the breaks.
Hard lock down for the next 3 weeks would be better in my opinion.
By hard lock down i mean, no one leaves home for 3 weeks unless absolutely needed.
Put this thing down hard then talk of easing restrictions.

FGfrom50

NYC Player

This is a bad idea imo.
I know people are getting cabin fever, and the economy is suffering terribly, but i just dont think now is the time to take the foot off the breaks.
By hard lock down i mean, no one leaves home for 3 weeks unless absolutely needed.
But then what? There'll still be some in the community somewhere. It'll still wreaking havoc internationally. Don't get me wrong, it's great that these measures have been working, but I don't see how to relax the restrictions and open borders again without a vaccine. Theoretically if we got down close to zero cases nationally you could relax retrictions here without opening the borders, but the problem still remains when you eventually do. It's hard, because short of a vaccine, or the virus somehow burning itself out, we don't have an endgame.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
But then what? There'll still be some in the community somewhere. It'll still wreaking havoc internationally. Don't get me wrong, it's great that these measures have been working, but I don't see how to relax the restrictions and open borders again without a vaccine. Theoretically if we got down close to zero cases nationally you could relax retrictions here without opening the borders, but the problem still remains when you eventually do. It's hard, because short of a vaccine, or the virus somehow burning itself out, we don't have an endgame.
I think the short term answer is intensive contact tracing.
Once we have this thing at a very manageable level, it becomes a hell of a lot easier to contact trace and isolate sporadic cases.
I don't know what the magic number is, but i imagine if you are only dealing with a handful of cases nationwide it would be far easier to isolate those exposed and slowly allow people back into work.
Combine this approach with anti-body testing, allowing people who have recovered to return to full time work, then we play it like this until a vaccine is developed.
My biggest worry in all of this, is if there is no vaccine.
To me thats the nightmare scenario, but i think with this being a global priority, and the best minds in the world working hard on it, i think we will find a vaccine.

We could also take the smallpox approach.
This is probably not viable due to the size of our population, and would take years to implement.
But essentially it would mean intentionally infecting people at a controlled rate to force herd immunity.
In the civil war, the North would take 300 men at a time and quarantine them in isolated barracks for 3 weeks and expose them to smallpox to give their army herd immunity.
They knew that if it ran through their army unchecked, thousands would die, they would lose the war, and that's game over.
I think on average 10 or so people per 300 died in their scenario, which is bad, but better than the far higher amount if it was left unchecked.
i think this solution is only really an option in the case we cant develop a vaccine.

Last edited:

Broncapz

QCup Player

This is a bad idea imo.
I think what we have now is sufficient enough according to the last few days data.

Broncos Maestro

QCup Player
I think the short term answer is intensive contact tracing.
Once we have this thing at a very manageable level, it becomes a hell of a lot easier to contact trace and isolate sporadic cases.
I don't know what the magic number is, but i imagine if you are only dealing with a handful of cases nationwide it would be far easier to isolate those exposed and slowly allow people back into work.
Combine this approach with anti-body testing, allowing people who have recovered to return to full time work, then we play it like this until a vaccine is developed.
My biggest worry in all of this, is if there is no vaccine.
To me thats the nightmare scenario, but i think with this being a global priority, and the best minds in the world working hard on it, i think we will find a vaccine.

We could also take the smallpox approach.
This is probably not viable due to the size of our population, and would take years to implement.
But essentially it would mean intentionally infecting people at a controlled rate to force herd immunity.
In the civil war, the North would take 300 men at a time and quarantine them in isolated barracks for 3 weeks and expose them to smallpox to give their army herd immunity.
They knew that if it ran through their army unchecked, thousands would die, they would lose the war, and that's game over.
I think on average 10 or so people per 300 died in their scenario, which is bad, but better than the far higher amount if it was left unchecked.
i think this solution is only really an option in the case we cant develop a vaccine.
Talking about contact tracing, does anybody have good data as to how the hell the Princess Ruby got so many infected cases?
It seemed like the virus was flying around in an aircraft and “magically” made its way onto the boat. How come there’s not much information as to how they possibly caught the virus in the first place?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DollyHurst

Members online

Twitter