Coronavirus / COVID-19

winslow_wong

State of Origin Captain
bris
If there were any pockets of undiagnosed cases, there will be an explosion. If our area is anything to go by. Springfield shops were chockers, barely room to move. I also went to Bunnings there, drove in, and there would have been a line-up of 200 - 300 people. So while they may be limiting the numbers in-store, which is great, the lineup outside was not exercising social distancing at all. We just drove the **** past, **** that shit.
Went for a drive down to Wynnum and it was packed. Every fish and chip shop had scores of people loitering outside and any patch of grass was a picnic convention. It was a deadset carnival down there.

Alec

International Rep
Went out to meet a friend at Springfield, super busy. If we don't see a spike in the next week or 2 we might really be in the clear.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
I imagine we're going to see a spike within the next couple of weeks.

I've heard Westfield have been in talks with State Governments about the re-opening of the food courts and restaurant districts. Not long ago we closed off toilet cubicles to maintain social distancing and put up signs. Now they have been removed in those areas.

When they re-open.. It's going to be like Christmas. To give a picture on how bad they were during Christmas, you couldn't move freely. People were bunched together.

It usually takes me 40-45 minutes to do a bin run in my area. It took nearly 3 hours during Christmas.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I imagine we're going to see a spike within the next couple of weeks.

I've heard Westfield have been in talks with State Governments about the re-opening of the food courts and restaurant districts. Not long ago we closed off toilet cubicles to maintain social distancing and put up signs. Now they have been removed in those areas.

When they re-open.. It's going to be like Christmas. To give a picture on how bad they were during Christmas, you couldn't move freely. People were bunched together.

It usually takes me 40-45 minutes to do a bin run in my area. It took nearly 3 hours during Christmas.
I think to some extent, that’s the point. It’s time to see the if businesses reopening does indeed up the stakes. To my way of thinking, if we keep our international borders closed, we can get on top of this while supporting business.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
Kid goes back to school Monday next week!

Kindy, Prep, Grades 1, 11 & 12.

the rest of the grades in between the following week IIRC.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
A lot of new cases today, the most we've seen in over a week. Still well under 50 for the day which is good, but we still need to be careful and identify these sources that continue to spread it and isolate them.

Midean

QCup Player
NSW
A lot of new cases today, the most we've seen in over a week. Still well under 50 for the day which is good, but we still need to be careful and identify these sources that continue to spread it and isolate them.
Only 1 in NSW overnight as far as i can tell. Which is great for the state that had the highest rates of community transmission.
Vic has been hit hard, but that is mostly from the cluster outbreak at the abattoir.

Last edited:

kooly87

NRL Player
Happy for it to hit again (minus the death tolls) if only to reinforce what we’ve learnt, going forward.
That's the point isn't it really. It's not necessarily going to 'go away' but if we've slowed it down to a significant enough level that we've had time to prepare to treat people if they do get it, then we've 'flattened the curve' which is all they've ever been aiming to really do.

GCBRONCO

International Rep
Gold Coast
How fucked up is the US atm enough deaths from the virus aren't enough, first the armed protests in Michigan now a security guard shot dead for asking 3 people to wear state mandated face masks!

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/michigan-security-guard-mask-killing-trnd/index.html

Three family members have been charged in the killing of a security guard who told a customer at a Michigan Family Dollar store to wear a state-mandated face mask, officials said on Monday.
Calvin Munerlyn, 43, died at a Flint hospital after he was shot in the head Friday, said Michigan State Police Lt. David Kaiser.
Ramonyea Travon Bishop, 23, Larry Edward Teague, 44, and Sharmel Lashe Teague, 45, have been charged with first-degree premeditated murder, along with other charges, the Genesee County Prosecutor's Office said in a statement on Monday.
Sharmel and Larry Teague are married, and Bishop is Sharmel's son, according to the prosecutor's office.
"From all indications, Mr. Munerlyn was simply doing his job in upholding the Governor's Executive Order related to the COVID-19 pandemic for the safety of store employees and customers," Genesee County Prosecutor David Leyton said in the statement.
Munerlyn got into a verbal altercation with Sharmel Teague after telling Teague's daughter she needed a mask, according to the prosecutor's office. Surveillance video confirms the incident, Leyton said.
Sharmel Teague's daughter left the store, but "Teague began yelling at Munerlyn who then told her to leave the store and instructed a cashier not to serve her," the prosecutor's office said.
Under an executive order from Michigan Gov. Gretchen Whitmer, all retail employees and customers have to wear a mask.
Footage also shows that immediately after the altercation, the woman left in an SUV. But about 20 minutes later, the SUV returned.
Two men -- identified as Bishop and Larry Teague -- entered the store, according to the statement. One of them yelled at Munerlyn about disrespecting his wife, Leyton said. The other man, later identified as Bishop, then allegedly shot the security guard, the statement said.
"This is senseless. Over a mask. Over a mask?" Munerlyn's cousin, Tina James, told CNN affiliate WJRT. "This is not the way to do things right now. We need to come together."
Police are looking for Larry Teague and Bishop, the prosecutor's office said.
Sharmel Teague is in custody and awaiting arraignment on her charges in 67th District Court.
In addition to the murder charge, Bishop also faces charges of felony firearm and carrying a concealed weapon, the prosecutor's office said.
Larry Teague also faces two felony firearm-related charges, one charge of a felon in possession of a firearm, one charge of carrying a concealed weapon, and one of violating the governor's executive order, according to the prosecutor's office.
Sharmel Teague also faces a felony firearm charge, the statement said. She doesn't have a lawyer yet, John Potbury, deputy chief assistant prosecutor of Genesee County, told CNN.
Randy Guiler, Dollar Tree's vice president of investor relations, said the company is "aware of the tragic incident."
"We will continue to cooperate fully with local authorities on their investigation," Guiler said in a statement to CNN. "As always, we are committed to ensuring a safe environment for our associates and customers. Out of respect for the family's privacy, we are not commenting further at this time."

Rookie Alan

NYC Player
I went to the butcher and supermarket to do my fortnightly shopping, surprisingly I’m the only young people who’s wearing mask, I don’t know what’s going with the government, but I’d say it won’t cost you a fortune to just get a mask compared to what you’d lose.

Allo

NRL Captain
I went to the butcher and supermarket to do my fortnightly shopping, surprisingly I’m the only young people who’s wearing mask, I don’t know what’s going with the government, but I’d say it won’t cost you a fortune to just get a mask compared to what you’d lose.
I’m yet to see anyone wearing any PPE doing the shopping or getting fuel or whatever.

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I’m yet to see anyone wearing any PPE doing the shopping or getting fuel or whatever.
I had a few students in classes at uni before we went to online learning. One bloke even had the full spray painting setup he wore everywhere.

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
It's a mix of young and old that I see at the local mall wearing them. Mostly just the surgical masks and latex gloves.

So far I've only seen one person wearing that outfit on the streets on their daily walk though I haven't seen him for the last week.

Broncos Maestro

QCup Player
Around where I live (Sunnybank area) it’s really only the Asian population that are actively wearing face masks. However in recent weeks I’ve noticed that more people regardless of background are starting to treat this shit more seriously. I know the official word is that masks cannot fully prevent you from catching the virus but I still wear mine when going out.

When people used to question me on this I would say, “Wearing a seatbelt doesn’t necessarily save you from injury from a car accident but you still do it to minimise the risk. So by not wearing a mask, you’re basically saying that seatbelts are useless too since they don’t prevent deaths too, right?”

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I don’t wear a mask and won’t unless I’m required to do so. Washing hands is far more important. Masks are horrible. When I returned home from China, I had to wear the thing for 24 hours from home there to home here. That put me off wearing them unless I’m required to. I actually got a chest infection from wearing the mask!

soup

State of Origin Captain
T’ba
I don’t wear a mask and won’t unless I’m required to do so. Washing hands is far more important. Masks are horrible. When I returned home from China, I had to wear the thing for 24 hours from home there to home here. That put me off wearing them unless I’m required to. I actually got a chest infection from wearing the mask!
I read a news article yesterday about two Chinese school boys participating in PE (running) with face masks died mid activity.

Foordy

International Rep
Staff
The Wisconsin Supreme court last night over-ruled the Govenor's stay at home order after it was challenged by the Republicans. this means that right now Wisconsin has zero restrictions in place to deal with COVID-19

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teak1983

Members online

No members online now.

Twitter