Coronavirus

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
When the world is on the brink of medical catastrophe, they always turn to us. Wonder why that is. And conservatives fucking hate the Universities.
I think there are 3 labs tasked with the international response. Pretty cool one of them is here.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
I imagine it is more than three labs now though, this thing is out of control. Apparently there has been considerable progress on a vaccine though which is great news.

Last edited:

Unbreakable

International Rep
Staff
🌏
We're now up to 12,000+ expected cases of Coronavirus, with 200+ confirmed dead.

If the reproductive rate holds steady, and the preventative measures in China aren't effective, we're going to be looking at 500,000+ infected and 10,000+ dead within 10 days.

Alec

International Rep
Everyone is stuck in their own homes in Wuhan for about 10 days now. It should hopefully help fight the spread. They really need to ban all flights from China until this calms down though.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The rate of increase in deaths has slightly decreased from 29% increase yesterday to 25% today.

Most importantly, the percentage increase in infections has decreased from 29% to 18%. Hopefully this isn't just an anomaly and hopefully the percentage increase continues to go down.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
The rate of increase in deaths has slightly decreased from 29% increase yesterday to 25% today.

Most importantly, the percentage increase in infections has decreased from 29% to 18%. Hopefully this isn't just an anomaly and hopefully the percentage increase continues to go down.
The numbers really mean nothing, because the reports in the west are that while China is being better than usual, they are still not giving the entire story with deaths, with a lot of bodies not making the official count, being sent for cremation.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
The numbers really mean nothing, because the reports in the west are that while China is being better than usual, they are still not giving the entire story with deaths, with a lot of bodies not making the official count, being sent for cremation.
Maybe but I am seeing a lot of what is going on here first hand and think that the truth is somewhere in the middle of what you are being told and what we are being told.

As for me, I couldn't stand being couped up anymore so I went for a bike ride yesterday, man it felt good!

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Maybe but I am seeing a lot of what is going on here first hand and think that the truth is somewhere in the middle of what you are being told and what we are being told.

As for me, I couldn't stand being couped up anymore so I went for a bike ride yesterday, man it felt good!
Sorry, bit I'm going to trust the west before I trust whatever they call it over there. They are not telling the full picture.

Last edited:

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
Sorry, bit I'm going to trust the west before I trust whatever they call it over there. They are not telling the full picture.
Good for you, I'm a bit more seasoned to believe either side too much. Australia has become a bit of a laughing stock in the world media with how botched their plan (or lack there of) to get their citizens out of Wuhan is.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
What I want to know is, how are the patients doing over here? Are they suffering mild flu-like symptoms, or are they in critical care? Are the patients dying in China old and frail and not getting basic adequate care, or are they very ill and dying because they don't have proper medical care?

Do you need to have IV fluids and round the clock medical supervision to survive this thing or is it a case of bed rest and fresh water is OK? There are so many factors that the media aren't sharing that may or may not cause high volumes of clicks and fear mongering......or they don't want to cause panic, because you DO need to be hospitalised and the rate of spreading is so rapid that there won't be enough beds for the people who contract the virus?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Good for you, I'm a bit more seasoned to believe either side too much. Australia has become a bit of a laughing stock in the world media with how botched their plan (or lack there of) to get their citizens out of Wuhan is.
Aussie media is even less believable, but it's ok, because they aren't a government of one of the largest populations on the planet.

Botched? There is nothing botched except the media making out like it's botched.

The situation is simple. They are negotiating with Qantas. The jet they want is due for retirement on Sunday. Changing those plans isn't a click of the fingers.

That jet doesn't land on the island they want it to, so they had to work through that too. All while the media reports it as fact.

If citizens get charged the $1k, that's disgusting and not on. Seems to be residents will be charged though, but no facts out, because it's not set in stone yet.

The yanks sent a freighter in to get them. How is that better? Because they have around about 5x the amount of 747s that we do down here. The single fright company they chose have more 747s than are registered in Australia, and out military assets right now are stretched so they couldn't just send some C17s to help.

There is evidence that China is lying about the death rates. They have reports from real people, who aren't government controlled news networks, who are confirming this. So remain balanced, but the numbers still mean naught.

Morkel

International Captain
Staff
Some of you may recall my alarmist posts during the Ebola outbreak. So maybe I'm over-reacting here.

Two of my nephews go to a school where a grade 1 kid was on the same flight as the other people that came here and have since tested positive. We found this out, while they were here, sitting next to my kids eating dinner. My wife wasn't here, but we were messaging and she agreed with me that as soon as dinner was finished they should leave, just to be safe. My sister-in-law had a massive tantrum and my mother-in-law was saying how mean I was. My SIL was saying that it was a grade 1 kid and they wouldn't be hanging around her kids (grade 3 & 4). She also got the shits that they may be closing their school for two weeks ("why should my kids have to sit at home just because someone else's kid might be sick).

To be honest, I wanted to tell them to GTFO right then and there, **** finishing dinner. Also bear in mind that my SIL is the sort of irresponsible parent that has a neighbor come up to her with her kid and say "you know your kid was playing in the middle of the road?". They live on a main road. Her kid was 3 at the time.

Sproj

International Rep
Staff
There is evidence that China is lying about the death rates. They have reports from real people, who aren't government controlled news networks, who are confirming this. So remain balanced, but the numbers still mean naught.
I should have added, those figures were from the Western Media.

mrslong

State of Origin Rep
Patriots Nation
Some of you may recall my alarmist posts during the Ebola outbreak. So maybe I'm over-reacting here.

Two of my nephews go to a school where a grade 1 kid was on the same flight as the other people that came here and have since tested positive. We found this out, while they were here, sitting next to my kids eating dinner. My wife wasn't here, but we were messaging and she agreed with me that as soon as dinner was finished they should leave, just to be safe. My sister-in-law had a massive tantrum and my mother-in-law was saying how mean I was. My SIL was saying that it was a grade 1 kid and they wouldn't be hanging around her kids (grade 3 & 4). She also got the shits that they may be closing their school for two weeks ("why should my kids have to sit at home just because someone else's kid might be sick).

To be honest, I wanted to tell them to GTFO right then and there, **** finishing dinner. Also bear in mind that my SIL is the sort of irresponsible parent that has a neighbor come up to her with her kid and say "you know your kid was playing in the middle of the road?". They live on a main road. Her kid was 3 at the time.
I'd have wanted them to leave too. Although no child under the age of 15 has died from the corona virus yet, kids seem better able to fight it off. I'd be more worried about yourself lol.

Fernando

NRL Player
Bris
People that say "well the common flu kills X amount of people each year and this has only killed a few hundred so what's the big deal" have to be pretty stupid. The flu has been around forever, everyone gets it, it's studied to death, there's vaccines etc. and yet it still kills thousands. Do they not see the enormous potential with something new like this this that is spreading rapidly and may be more lethal?

Also a Hong Kong uni study estimated the amount of Chinese infections to be over 75000 already.

Fozz

International Rep
Staff
No doubt people are dying but so far it seems to be limited to people with compromised respiratory systems and the elderly.

If otherwise fit and healthy people started dying then it's time to panic.

Sirlee oldman

NRL Player
No doubt people are dying but so far it seems to be limited to people with compromised respiratory systems and the elderly.

If otherwise fit and healthy people started dying then it's time to panic.
Unless you aren’t otherwise fit and healthy. In which case feel free to start panicking now.

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Anthony Mundine is saying the virus isn't real and is a ploy to give a mass vaccine.

Where does he come up with this shit?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter