Cowboys coach Paul Green turns up heat on NRL over scheduling

Traditionally we played only one Origin. Change is inevitable. I want a club to stand up and take legal action to prevent the Nrl from selecting its players for Origin until compensation and scheduling is sorted. That way my club doesn't get crippled every year. No way should a club have to provide players, its employees without insurance, a salary cap reduction for lost work time, paid at the rate the employee gets normally. Origin is just hiring the players from the NRL ans the clubs should not have to suffer. It only badly affected us in the past but nowadays, other clubs have suffered and suddenly there's outrage...shit, half the clubs love seeing us nobbled.

I'm not really familiar with origin pre 80's but the series in its current format has been there for over 25 years - i think you can consider this as origin in its traditional form in the modern game (i am aware that there was only 1 game in 1980 and 1981).

Clubs won't prevent players from playing, because to the players it's an honour to represent your state or country. You can guarantee the moment clubs tried to interfere with this, the RLPA would backhand them so badly they would be eating through a straw.

Traditionally we played only one Origin. Change is inevitable. I want a club to stand up and take legal action to prevent the Nrl from selecting its players for Origin until compensation and scheduling is sorted. That way my club doesn't get crippled every year. No way should a club have to provide players, its employees without insurance, a salary cap reduction for lost work time, paid at the rate the employee gets normally. Origin is just hiring the players from the NRL ans the clubs should not have to suffer. It only badly affected us in the past but nowadays, other clubs have suffered and suddenly there's outrage...shit, half the clubs love seeing us nobbled.

Clubs won't stand up to the NRL on this matter because they know if Origin is affected, then so will the size of the TV rights deal.

and if the NRL get less money from TV rights then that is less money the the clubs can try to extort out of the NRL. and the clubs desperately need big club grants to survive since the majority of them can't manage their own finances.

and a lesser club grant will likely result in a smaller salary cap since we need to play down to the lowest common denominator.

The club's would just rather whinge about how origin affects them, while ignoring the benefits that it gives the game in Australia.

well, I have a solution for Mr. Green and any other club that complains about origin:

DON'T SIGN ORIGIN PLAYERS, or any player likely to make origin.

it will leave you with Kiwi's, Poms and hacks. It will also likely leave you on a permanent September holiday, but they won't have to worry about origin affecting their seasons

It's really a no brainer that Origin impacts the NRL and some clubs more than others. But given the Broncos are historically the most impacted club, as well as Melbourne and Cows over the last decade, the N(SW)RL couldn't give a ****.

That said, Origin shouldn't be played after the Grand Final, where most players will be deflated after a full season of footy.
Not sure a long consecutive NRL break for Rep footy is the answer either, but whatever the solution ends up being, no NRL club should ever have to play without its best player(s) because of representative duties.
As such, Origin should take place on weekends, to avoid impacting 2 weekends in a row. Maybe 3 weekends spread over a couple of months is the way to go...?

Maybe 3 weekends spread over a couple of months is the way to go...?

Didn't they already try that and have Origin on Sunday nights for a few years?

You'll watch it'll happen now that Green's had a sook. How many other clubs get as much special treatment as them? Does any other club get to nominate that they have the majority of their home games on a Saturday night so that their fans can get to see them? If given the choice I'm sure the Broncos would love predominantly Sunday arvo games, and I reckon we'd get 40k+ every game if that happened. But for some reason the NRL have gone in to bat for the Cowboys, no one else, when sorting out the TV rights deal, and we're left with bullshit Thursday or Friday night games every week.

Kidding yourself if you think we would get more fans to Sunday games. We benefit greatly from having 7 day turnarounds and prime time games. Alot of fans are from outside the Brisbane area eg Toowoomba, Sunny Coast, etc. They make a weekend out of it and stay down. Sunday afternoon games just don't offer that.

Kidding yourself if you think we would get more fans to Sunday games. We benefit greatly from having 7 day turnarounds and prime time games. Alot of fans are from outside the Brisbane area eg Toowoomba, Sunny Coast, etc. They make a weekend out of it and stay down. Sunday afternoon games just don't offer that.

Rubbish.

Our crowd average is bigger on Saturday & Sunday games.

So leaving school/work, or having the day off altogether, on a Friday is viable, but driving home at 6pm on a Sunday isn't?

That a First Grade nobjockey comment, you either have no clue or you're... well... the thing we already know you to be.

Yes who would want a Sunday day game to take the family, soak it in with the kids and just enjoy Brisbane and a game day atmosphere.

Much better to panic and struggle to finish work on time make your way to the game in rank traffic and stuff the kids and the family day... Friday and Thursday night are where it's at.

Yes who would want a Sunday day game to take the family, soak it in with the kids and just enjoy Brisbane and a game day atmosphere.

Much better to panic and struggle to finish work on time make your way to the game in rank traffic and stuff the kids and the family day... Friday and Thursday night are where it's at.

This. I very, very rarely go to the footy. I hate showering at work, and by the time I get home and shower, it's too late to get back in time.

This. I very, very rarely go to the footy. I hate showering at work, and by the time I get home and shower, it's too late to get back in time.

Showering is overrated anyway

If I worked in a mechanics workshop, I'd want a shower after work too. Filthy bloody places, even in the office.

Yes but you've seen the average league supporter haven't you? Showering is not really a requirement to fit in at a game.

100% l am lucky now and have a office job in the CBD but l did a few years of working on building sites and mate a shower is a must. Fucking gybrock glue in my hair, paint everywhere, if you are a setter you look albino from all the dust.

It does not really matter what physical job you do, if you do it well and work hard you are a stinky mess by the end of the day. Sitting in air con all day is a different story.

They aren't going to change what part of the year Origin is played, so I don't see why we can't have it on a Sunday/Monday night on the round that the Origin players aren't available to play for their club.

They could have it on a Sunday or Monday night and have no Thursday game in the next round so it gives players 4-5 days recovery.

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Kev_Guz
  • Santa
  • Browny
  • Harry Sack
  • Aldo
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Astro
  • Griffo
  • Alec
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Wolfie
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • broncsgoat
  • Thelmus
  • Dash
  • Broncosgirl
  • Johnny92
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.