Credit where credit's due

Discussion in 'General Talk' started by mrslong, Oct 2, 2008.

1. soup

soup

I’ve been told that I do when I’m really, really drunk and asleep...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Sproj likes this.
  2. ningnangnong

ningnangnong HACK THE PLANET!!!

I always post on here when shit is not good.

So, let me go the other way for once, and say credit to this present moment in time, as everything is good (perhaps even great) right now. :)

Peace hombres. I love you all.

Jedhead, Big Pete, broncospwn and 6 others like this.
  3. Kimberly Birrell came into the Australian Open on the back of a wildcard is now in the 3rd round after knocking off 19th seed Vekic and will now potentially face the number 2 seed Kerber.

Pretty good game by her. Our future in Tennis is looking bright. We have some good upcomers.

4. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

no it's not, outside of barty and de minaur we have SFA in terms of talent. yeah we can rely on a unknown youngster breaking through, but we're nowhere near the late 90's/early 00's level with rafter, phillipousis, hewitt, woodies, molik etc.

nick and bernard could be those guys, but they're too busy being dickheads.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    soup likes this.
  5. Sproj

Sproj

Credit to Australian tennis.

Both idiot blokes out in the first round, yet FIVE players into the third one. One, a teenager beat the world number 7 today (who retired while trailing).

Yes, Two of them are playing the respective world number 2s tomorrow but shows there is a future to Aussie tennis that does not require either Tomic or Dropkickoff.

Morkel likes this.
  6. Did you watch Bolt vs Simon? Incredible win.

He somehow found a way to win that 4th set tiebreak game and that seemed to break Simon. He was more in control up to that point and from then on Bolt got himself back in it and ended up winning.

Sproj likes this.
  7. Morkel

Morkel

I don't know why Tomic and Kyrgios are allowed to be anywhere near representing our country. They may be the two most talented at the moment, but they are an absolute cancer on the sport, and have been for their entire careers. I've seen nothing to suggest they even want to improve, let alone signs that they are.

8. soup

soup

Tomic isn’t. Hewitt stated overnight that he will never play Davis Cup again while he has anything to do with it.

I kinda like Kyrious. I get that he’s really, really good at a sport that he doesn’t love, but it makes him money so he does it anyway. His attitude is only amplified by the media and all the fans who can’t be bothered understanding that he has a different view of his choices.

Outrage is entertainment these days.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 at 9:34 AM
    GKDonkey likes this.
  9. Morkel

Morkel

A different view is one thing. A blatant and unapologetic disrespect for the game and its fans is another, and it comes from his entire camp, not just him. I honestly don't know why sponsors are supporting him.

10. soup

soup

Because he draws attention.

11. Morkel

Morkel

You're right of course. I guess that's why I hate people.

abashii and Sirlee oldman like this.
  12. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

My issue with him is more the fact that he seemingly forgets that Tennis Australia put shitloads of time and money into getting him to the level that he is. Plus when he loses it's the same old defensive attitude, I don't care etc etc. It's an immature response and shows his EI is still quite low. It doesn't affect me personally sure, but I think as a sports fan it is quite frustrating.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 at 9:58 AM
    soup likes this.
  13. soup

soup

I understand that, but do you think TA invested in him for any reason other than their own self interest? Agree about EI, but then most young, successful sportspeople live so differently to the rest of us (mostly due to the media, but also class structures) that it’s almost expected.

14. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

I can't be sure as I don't work for TA, but I assume that they would make a % of any prize money he makes, which obviously funds the next generation. Without TA or a similiar body, we would have little to no players at all. So I don't really know whether it's a self-interest thing as opposed to a self-sustaining thing? On that basis, it's a question of, is the money and time already invested in him going to be worth the return? If not, then could those resources been directed elsewhere?

15. soup

soup

One could also ask if the organisation has issues from the top down? That’s what’s being suggested by the top players, not that I want listen to anything Tomic says.

It seems there’s a few jaded players and I’d love to know if this is just coincidence or environmental.

GKDonkey likes this.
  16. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

Again, I can't be sure as I don't have anything to do with them, but if Tomic is saying there's issues i'm not at all likely to believe them. The man openly admits he doesn't care and just "counts his millions".

If there is indeed an issue, what's Barty got to say on the matter? Millman? Stosur? De Minaur? All i've heard is apparently it's Tomic, Kygrios and potentially Kokkinakis. Two of the three who are already known for being volatile and deflecting from their own issues and one that I'm not sure of. That doesn't sound overly damning to me.

Tomic in particular, I mean, he's fallen out with both Hewitt and Rafter when they were Davis Cup captains. Both players known for their work ethic. Perhaps there's something more in that?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019 at 10:24 AM
    Sproj, Morkel and soup like this.
  17. soup

soup

Oh, for sure. Tomic is a wanker of the highest order.

I’m just playing devils advocate in regard to TA.

Renegade likes this.
  18. Renegade

Renegade NRL Captain

Question everything!! I'm sure there's things TA can do better, but when they're being highlighted by the most self-absorbed, underperforming players, I struggle to think it carries much weight. Maybe you're/they're right and there's some serious favouritism going on in the background - wouldn't be the first sporting org to have that problem!

soup likes this.
  19. soup

soup

Here’s a great opportunity to potentially open your mind a little to your opinions of him. He’s commentating the Roger Federer game today and it will illustrate that he cares enough to contribute game analysis and potentially entertaining the fans.

I’m someone that often accidentally says the wrong thing/hard to read and people tend to realise I’m different in my views and that alienates me. I get it, and for the most part I’m happy that way nowadays as it saves me dealing with small-minded twats. I kinda see a bit of this in Nick, I suppose, which is partly why I support him.

I think we will see him turn around over the next few years. He's matured a lot in the past couple of years, and he's not nearly the **** head he was back then when he earned his reputation.

GKDonkey and soup like this.