RUMOUR Darius Boyd and Paul White Standing Down

I honestly think the next captain will come from outside the club. We have nobody within the club. Glenn off contract
Gillo busted. Lodge baggage. Milford could be on the outer same with Macca. Rest too young. Maybe release a fwd or 2. Offa for starters. Bring in Arrow and you have your captain. Move others on ie Oates Milf and use the money for at least one half and a fb.

If we were going to seriously entertain Lodge then I think we owe it to both him and ourselves to tread carefully and probably buy ourselves some insurance on the whole thing.

The best way I can see to do this is by installing a Leadership Group, which I generally don't really like the idea of, but I think in our specific situation it has plenty of merit.

To appoint Glenn or Gillett comes with massive risk that either or both of them will succumb to injury or be unable to hold down a spot in the starting side at some point. The risk with Lodge is that he's obviously got a reputation he's working to overcome and there is obviously going to be commercial ramifications to a decision to appoint him as Captain, whether those ramifications are warranted or not. He's also still quite young and untested in a Leadership capacity to the best of my knowledge.

I think that a situation where Glenn, Gillett and Lodge (I'd even be open to one or two others) form a Leadership group, with a view to Glenn and Gillett initially taking the more public duties and in particular dealing with the Referee's especially as they generally play more minutes than Lodge, with a view to them grooming Lodge to take gradually bigger roles as time goes on, would be a great way to ensure that we hedge our bets and don't end up in the current situation with no one really a perfect fit to take the role.

In time it could even grow to include the likes of Fifita and Carrigan etc and I'd be confident that in 2-3 years from now we'll have a really competent group of leaders to take us forward and possibly even one standout candidate who could take the job on his own.

It's the most low risk option we can take going forward in my view and without any clear standout candidate I think it presents by far our best option.

Last edited:
Left field based on what everyone is saying they want:

- plays with passion;
- plays hard and uncompromising;
- won’t be stood over / is fearless;
- leads by his actions, but can actually string a sentence together;
- young;
- Broncos through and through;
- has his head screwed on;
- plays 80 every week.

Everyone is throwing up Lodge, Haas, Carrigan etc, but the bloke who has all those qualities is Kotoni Staggs.

Sure the kid has some work to do, but he also has all the hallmarks of a Tallis style captain. I reckon he’d grow an extra leg too.

That said; I still think the best short term option is Glenn, but I think Staggs could be moulded into a great leader. I guess the question then though would be, do we have someone capable of doing the moulding?

Last edited:
half the Titans are leaving....is Jai Arrow considered a future leader, or Wallace...Ryan James...??

Fuk me....we ARE desperate for leadership aren't we..?

half the Titans are leaving....is Jai Arrow considered a future leader, or Wallace...Ryan James...??

Fuk me....we ARE desperate for leadership aren't we..?

Imagine Arrow at lock with Fifi and TPJ in the second row. We could afford him too (plus Foran and a gun FB) if we didn't have Milf, Gillett, Macca, and Boyd on stupid money.

When Bird is fit and healthy, he'd be a great leader.

Lodge as captain.
Just can't accept a guy who goes to America gets blind drunk. Beats the shit out of someone. Gets sued. Has anger issues which you c a an see on field. And people w as by him as captain..... Get fucked

he threatened to beat the shot out of someone ... he never actually did it ... there is a big difference

Everyone keeps saying this but I'm fucked if it makes much difference with the salary cap. Sure we have the best training facilities but it clearly doesn't make our players better.
With all our resources we couldn't even get the coach we wanted, which is what started us down this path . The club should have gone all out for Bellamy with an offer too good to refuse.

This is what pisses me off the most.

You have a lot of media entities leg by Gus Gould bleat ad nauseam about how the Broncos have very advantage over everyone in the comp with their state of art facilities, their big crowds, their corporate money and sponsorships, etc and how we should be more successful.

The thing is almost all of those things they mention that we clearly have an advantage over other teams with means success OFF the field. It doesn’t necessarily translate to success ON the field unless we are allowed to use all of this money we are loaded with to buy whoever the **** we want when we want. We are handicapped by the salary cap just like any other big club.

Our on field success will be determined by coaching, good recruitment and retention, securing high end talent and building a winning culture and training as hard as possible with the players who want to actually be here which is why we are in the mess we are because we are failing at most of these critical things to be successful. On field success isn’t directly proportional to how much turnover a club provides, how big your average crowds are or how many corporate boxes we sell each game otherwise we’d win the comp each year.

It’s definitely time to start acting like a big club now to fix the mess we are in. We are currently acting like we are the Gold Coast Titans

Id sign him for 2 years. Have Glenn and Gillett as co-captains, both retire end of 2021 and captaincy goes to whoever has stood up over the next 2 years. Possibly Bird/Dearden/Fifita/Carrigan.

The reason for the co-captaincy is so that one of them starts, one on the bench.
Personally not a fan of co-captains but I’d think it’s probably the best option given the circumstances. If Glenn resigns he will most likely be on the bench. Gillett clearly isn’t as good as he once was but I think he will come close to his best next season if he plays a run of games and stays fit.

Just a cheeky bump to point out that the rumors mentioned in this thread more or less came true. 2020 will be Paul Whites final year in charge and Boyd has been sacked as captain and is out of here at the end of this year as well.

Just a cheeky bump to point out that the rumors mentioned in this thread more or less came true. 2020 will be Paul Whites final year in charge and Boyd has been sacked as captain and is out of here at the end of this year as well.
If he plays 15 games, he’s here another year, isn’t he?

It was reported in the Courier Mail Ben Ikin is in the mix to replace Paul White as CEO of the Broncos.

"There is a strong tip around rugby league circles that the Brisbane Broncos are keen to chat with highly regarded NRL 360 host Ben Ikin about a possible interest in the club’s chief executive role.
Under siege CEO Paul White will step down at the end of the season after 12 months of turmoil.

Ikin is under contract to Fox Sports for another two years but has spoken to the network’s Head of Television Steve Crawley about the role at the Broncos should the job be offered to him.

“It would certainly be of interest,” Ikin said, “It’s such a coveted position but I’ve got a great gig at Fox Sports and I’m very mindful of that and how supportive they’ve been over a long period of time.”

Ikin is currently on the board of the QRL and was once a director at the Cowboys.

He has a strong background in all areas of rugby league, especially commercial.

He is also highly regarded by the club’s owners, News Corp."

Unread

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Broncorob
  • Old Mate
  • Foordy
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.