OFFICIAL Darius Boyd announces retirement

At best a very solid even very good player, at worst a total embarrassment and liability.

Continuously put himself above the club even when he was captain and hurt both his legacy and his team as a consequence.

Followed Wayne around his whole career, he was never a 'Broncos' man and shouldn't be considered a real figurehead of the club.

Thanks for your service to the Broncos, now get lost.

So...if that 15 game thing is legit and he now plays all due to saying he’s retired, couldn’t he just change his mind after the 15 games and then activate said clause?

I don’t have a lot of faith in this administration but even they couldn’t **** this up. If that clause was there they would make it void now.

If he was still playing decent footy then he should be allowed to finish off his carer on his own terms and with as much fanfare as possible. Over the last two seasons though he has virtually phoned it in, so I hope for his and the club's sake his first couple of games show a great deal of steel and determination to finish on high, otherwise I say Siebs needs to show the rest of the team and indeed the club that mediocrity will not be tolerated - regardless of who you are.

Three games tops and if he's still derping it up he needs to be 'injured' and unavailable for selection.

Full disclosure - I've never liked the guy.
Agenda? Yes - I'd love to see the back of him ASAP.

So...if that 15 game thing is legit and he now plays all due to saying he’s retired, couldn’t he just change his mind after the 15 games and then activate said clause?

Can’t see that happening.
More likely the club has done a deal to give him an off field role next season. I just hope it doesn’t include a guarantee he will be picked in first grade all year regardless of form.

Hell of a career, when it was good, it was awesome. But the past three+ years htarnished it, he's not getting that respect back.
I think he had a couple of very good seasons but equally bad ones here and at Newcastle. Long first grade career but not a great by any stretch.

I have no doubt that's the primary reason he did it now. If he didn't announce it we would've dropped him before the 15 game threshold so he couldn't activate his clause for 2021, and would've gone out a loser. This way, the club will look like pieces of shit if we drop him knowing full well it's his last season.

Well played Darius, you fucked us again.
The cynicism in this place is astounding.

Good call Darius. There is more to life than football.

It's quite sad how much, and how rapidly his game has fallen. Still, looking back it's been a pretty amazing career and he should be proud of everything he has achieved.

Just quietly though, I was kind of hoping he'd continue playing at another club for a number of years more so that he could potentially snatch Cameron Smith's record for most NRL games.
I actually thought his game would improve as he got older once he came back. I know that sounds crazy looking at it now but he was always a smart fullback who could read defence and communicate well.he was never super elusive, fast or strong.

It just goes to show that effort and attitude/putting your body on the line is the most important thing is this game

i feel no happiness about this, a great player has seen his mortality in the game stare him in the face..

I didn't ever think id see him again in a Broncos jersey when he left with Uncle Wayne. I was very excited to hear he had returned with Bennett, and im grateful to have seen his last great season as a fullback here.

Very few have had the privilege to say they had lead the Broncos.....hes been a great servant to the club and the game...

Last edited:

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Fatboy
  • Browny
  • Jazza
  • Kev_Guz
  • Justwin
  • Inknition
  • Manofoneway
  • GCBRONCO
  • Morkel
  • Mr Fourex
  • LittleDavey
  • jd87
  • Yem
  • Johnny92
  • broncos4life
  • Strop
  • Foordy
  • Culhwch
  • mrslong
... and 73 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.