NEWS Darius Boyd column: Anthony Milford and Kodi Nikorima can take over the Broncos for NRL finals

Milford is always backing them up.
You mean like our fullback should? But problem is because of organising it is a bit hit and miss if he is there.

What I'm hearing from Boyd in his column is Milf and KNik are better players without Boyd in the team?

You mean like our fullback should? But problem is because of organising it is a bit hit and miss if he is there.

What I'm hearing from Boyd in his column is Milf and KNik are better players without Boyd in the team?

It's been clear from day one that Boyd is just not that kind of fullback. He is a playmaker, not a runner.

He isn't a Slater or a Tedesco. He doesn't have the speed or the footwork to be a runner and link up in support whenever the forwards get offloads away. So he plays a different role and relies on his smarts, vision and passing ability to be an extra playmaker in the spine and when he is on his game there isn't any other fullback in the game that can do what he does in an attacking zone.

He isn't ever going to be another Slater or Tedesco, so people really need to start getting used to that.

Could he do a few things better? Sure. I don't see where the disdain comes from though. He's a quality player that doesn't max out all the check-boxes. Go figure

I wouldn't say disdain but not far off at time, prefer to think cysnicism and suspicion at this point.

Don't like automatic selections and captaincy with a stink of nepotism. Erodes the very fabric of a club. For all the b****hit about not sidetracking Milfs development (you can't screw a teenagers development as a half by playing elsewhere for a year or two as halves don't consistently peak till mid 20s) as a half we have a top five fullback who can't even get a game there when third choice option goes down or even to protect his busted wing. Meanwhile Hunt can be a 9, Thaiday can be a 9, next years an anointed halfback can be a 9, bench sub or fullback and Benji can't get a came till everyone else falls down. I think Bennett fears most about putting Milf at fullback is if he shines Boyd might have to play centre and not be worth a million a year anymore.

Boyd is a very good player but isn't a JT or a Smith you can build a club around and then let everything else fall into place.

I wouldn't say disdain but not far off at time, prefer to think cysnicism and suspicion at this point.

Don't like automatic selections and captaincy with a stink of nepotism. Erodes the very fabric of a club. For all the b****hit about not sidetracking Milfs development (you can't screw a teenagers development as a half by playing elsewhere for a year or two as halves don't consistently peak till mid 20s) as a half we have a top five fullback who can't even get a game there when third choice option goes down or even to protect his busted wing. Meanwhile Hunt can be a 9, Thaiday can be a 9, next years an anointed halfback can be a 9, bench sub or fullback and Benji can't get a came till everyone else falls down. I think Bennett fears most about putting Milf at fullback is if he shines Boyd might have to play centre and not be worth a million a year anymore.

Boyd is a very good player but isn't a JT or a Smith you can build a club around and then let everything else fall into place.

Milford is a five-eight not a fullback.

Milford is a five-eight not a fullback.

And apparently Hunt is a million dollar halfback just ask the fools at St Mergr. KNik is a halfback next year not a five eight or fullback and McGuire is a lock not a prop conveniently after Parker retired. Locky was the best fullback in modern history and moved to 5/8 because that's what the team needed. Where did Milf play at Canberra again and tear it up at age 18?

What's your point?

And apparently Hunt is a million dollar halfback just ask the fools at St Mergr. KNik is a halfback next year not a five eight or fullback and McGuire is a lock not a prop conveniently after Parker retired. Locky was the best fullback in modern history and moved to 5/8 because that's what the team needed. Where did Milf play at Canberra again and tear it up at age 18?

What's your point?

The team needs a dominant half and Milford is it. We don't need to slow down his development by moving him back to fullback.

Just accept he is a half now for the betterment of the team.

It's been clear from day one that Boyd is just not that kind of fullback. He is a playmaker, not a runner.

He isn't a Slater or a Tedesco. He doesn't have the speed or the footwork to be a runner and link up in support whenever the forwards get offloads away. So he plays a different role and relies on his smarts, vision and passing ability to be an extra playmaker in the spine and when he is on his game there isn't any other fullback in the game that can do what he does in an attacking zone.

He isn't ever going to be another Slater or Tedesco, so people really need to start getting used to that.

Comparisons to two of the fastest players aside, Boyd seems like he is too slow for fullback.

Haven't seen enough of his other qualities to justify his lack of speed or support play or kick returns.

There is something off with the balance in this team - thankfully Milf plays like a fullback in support where Darius doesn't, otherwise who the **** is going to follow the forwards in our team? You can argue that's not the kind of the fullback Darius is, but he should be. Perhaps we can put it down to the injury as of late, but Boyd needs to step up when he comes back. Also, Darius gets a lot of credit for his defensive 'organization'...would he mind making a decent go of stopping tries when he comes back?

Boyd's playmaking is vastly overrated, also. He doesn't have too much to offer there, and he's mostly been figured out. He'll have two games left, hopefully, when he returns. Time to run, and run hard, Darius.

Could he do a few things better? Sure. I don't see where the disdain comes from though.

Let me help you out there. The disdain comes from people that were vocal
about his and Bennett's return being a mistake who don't like the taste of humble pie, so they lurk in the shadows waiting for an off game on run of average form (which every player has) to spring from the shadows with 'I told you so's'.

Everyone keeps mentioning Boyd is too slow. Early in his career he was damn fast. He still seems reasonably fast now when he's in open space, but his footwork in tight spaces really lets him down.

Let me help you out there. The disdain comes from people that were vocal
about his and Bennett's return being a mistake who don't like the taste of humble pie, so they lurk in the shadows waiting for an off game on run of average form (which every player has) to spring from the shadows with 'I told you so's'.

Bee Eye En Gee Fucking Oh.

I think Bennett fears most about putting Milf at fullback

why the **** would Bennett move our best option in the halves, a player who is performing brilliantly in the position to fullback; when our current fullback is also a rep level fullback (current Aussie fullback). not to mention our captain and player of the year last year.

While Boyd may have a TEMPORARY loss of form (only a few games really), he was showing some really good signs last week before his injury.

Seriously, Milford is never going to play fullback ever again. Never ever. Pretty much get the same thing with kodi playing back there anyway.

I quite enjoyed my humble pie :porthozthinksthisishot:

You've eaten a few slices from that pie, mate.

I seem to remember something about 'Wayne won't drop Hunt' - 'Hunt will be seven for the year' etc.

Seriously, Milford is never going to play fullback ever again. Never ever. Pretty much get the same thing with kodi playing back there anyway.

Agreed on the first point, but Milf is way better than Kodi at FB. Kodi won't be scoring any length of the field tries on a return.

Agreed on the first point, but Milf is way better than Kodi at FB. Kodi won't be scoring any length of the field tries on a return.

I think the only player likely to score length of the field tries these days is semi radradarada

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Allo
  • marw
  • Organix
  • Foordy
  • GCBRONCO
  • Brocko
  • Waynesaurus
  • winslow_wong
  • ChewThePhatt
  • johnny plath
  • Fozz
  • broncsgoat
  • lynx000
  • KateBroncos1812
  • kiwi2
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.