PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

To me being a Bronco isn't about how long you've been at the club or how good you are at footy, it's about the respect you show the jersey on and off the field, and how far you're willing to push yourself for the club.

Darius was well and truly a Bronco in my eyes until the last few years. I would have even forgiven him after 2018 if he gave it away. But the fact he's stayed on 2 years too long and just completely disrespected the jersey like he has, he ain't a Bronco to me either. Good riddance.

Ha haha.🤣
I'm not sure you can know I'm his only 'fan'. That said I'm not necessarily a fan but I'm also still able to see the good and bad in all the players to whom I pay attention. Unlike rnabakov I try not to be blinded by my preferences and when you can do that as rnabakov cannot and who looks at Milford through rose coloured glasses and watery lust filled eyes, the object of his desire can do no wrong.

DB hasn't been at his best and yes perhaps he played on too long but he's still a Bronco, one of ours and I like to think we protect our own. Anyway, he's got three games left, can we not be so harsh?
I am going to get you two your own room. Zimmer frames at 20 paces, only the survivor exits the room.

Why does he need a proper farewell again? Did he not get enough accolades and pats on the back in his prime years? ‘He’s one of ours’ like an unemployed brother-in-law who’s overstayed his welcome, sleeps on your couch and eats your food. You want to kick him out but he’s family.

Last edited:
Why does he need a proper farewell again? Did he not get enough accolades and pats on the back in his prime years? ‘He’s one of ours’ like an unemployed brother-in-law who’s overstayed his welcome, sleeps on your couch and eats your food. You want to kick him out but he’s family.
Oddly specific.

Anyway, he's got three games left, can we not be so harsh?

That will be entirely dependant on how he plays sir......

Hopefully he gives us 3 of his best instead of this other shit he's been dishing up for the last 4 yrs

Darius Boyd is the classic example of a player playing on too long. He's definitely damaged his legacy, which would have been quite a strong one if he had retired at the optimum time.
Unfortunately I think he did his dash with most NRL fans quite a while ago, but at least he would have had the Broncos fans on his side if he'd called time a season or so ago. I think that call to play on probably writes off most Broncos fans now too. It probably did more damage to his personal brand from a post-football point of view than if he'd hung up the boots earlier, so there is a chance that taking the money and playing on may even be worse for him financially as well in the long run.

Personally I think if his heart wasn't in it without Bennett he'd have been better being honest about that and retiring, or even if he wanted to test the waters with Seibold in 2019 he could have been forgiven for making that call last year too once he realised the personality clash and really obvious disillusionment he was feeling was starting to affect his football.

Last edited:
Why should DB or any player turn their back on a contract like he had. Not one person here would do that.

I try and balance the good years he had v the level he has dished up recently. If Seibold had the nerve he would have dropped him it's that simple.
Darius was a brilliant player for us in his prime, I prefer to give him credit for that than hate him for recent performance.

Why should DB or any player turn their back on a contract like he had. Not one person here would do that.

I try and balance the good years he had v the level he has dished up recently. If Seibold had the nerve he would have dropped him it's that simple.
Darius was a brilliant player for us in his prime, I prefer to give him credit for that than hate him for recent performance.

He’s phoned in a lot of his performances though which is not good. People notice this.

Admittedly, I haven't had to sit through his recent performances as a Broncos fan as per say but, he did have me wanting him at the Titans when he came off contract in 2016/17 or so? Not sure on exact date but he was arguably in the top 2-3 fullbacks of the game back then. In retrospect, probably thankful we didn't but still feel he deserves a decent send off regardless. Feel some are still holding a grudge over his 2019 form with his current performances still placing him as the best fullback at the club easily with him also providing a few quality years early. Not my place to judge though, hope he gets a good final game and farewell against the Cowboys in Rd 20.

James basically hasn't even taken the field since Darius' form slump and is on a similar wage. I still wish him all the best at Canberra regardless.

Last edited:

I don't begrudge him not wanting to give up the contract, he's completely entitled to do so.

When it's abundantly clear you're clashing with the Coach and you're unhappy with things AND you're the Captain of the club in a leadership position, there is some emphasis on you to confront that situation and then move on if it's not possible to reconcile things and you're sticking around is not in the best interests of the team.

You don't HAVE to leave by any means, but a good leader would [probably recognise that it was for the best. He's completely entitled to stay though, that's his call, but he does have to live with the consequences of those decisions both good and bad and that includes copping the well deserved fan backlash and resentment which he now receives.

I am hard on Darius because sometimes, I wonder if Darius's 1st priority is Darius, to the exclusion of the bigger picture, like implications of his decisions for the club. For example, my take on the issue of his contract renewal back in 2017 was simply that signing him at the back end of his career, about which he was really insistent - signing a 30 year old with serious hamstring injuries in 2017 plus a serious achilles tendon injury, to an absolutely key position with serious demands on the body, was a decision fraught with potential bad consequences.

I have often wondered whether his perceived lack of effort, especially his energy in lateral defensive cover, as frequently cited on here, is Darius protecting himself, even if unconsciously from re-injuring his hamstrings and achilles. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how it often seems to me when I watch him play in defence.

For mine, it would have been better for his legacy, and for the club going forward, if he had retired at the end of 2017, and not run the risk of tarnishing his stellar career when he was at his best, and stellar it was.

Last edited:
I am hard on Darius because sometimes, I wonder if Darius's 1st priority is Darius, to the exclusion of the bigger picture, like implications of his decisions for the club. For example, my take on the issue of his contract renewal back in 2017 was simply that signing him at the back end of his career, about which he was really insistent - signing a 30 year old with serious hamstring injuries in 2017 plus a serious achilles tendon injury, to an absolutely key position with serious demands on the body, was a decision fraught with potential bad consequences.

I have often wondered whether his perceived lack of effort, especially his energy in lateral defensive cover, as frequently cited on here, is Darius protecting himself, even if unconsciously from re-injuring his hamstrings and achilles. Maybe I am wrong, but that is how it often seems to me when I watch him play in defence.

For mine, it would have been better for his legacy, and for the club going forward, if he had retired at the end of 2017, and not run the risk of tarnishing his stellar career when he was at his best, and stellar it was.
Nobody is going to retire at 30 when they’re still playing at a rep level. His decline has been pretty stark but no way would retiring at 30 be reasonable.

Nobody is going to retire at 30 when they’re still playing at a rep level. His decline has been pretty stark but no way would retiring at 30 be reasonable.

No, especially not with a 4 year, $800K per year contract on offer.

Also, given his injuries and his age, I'd hazard a guess that his rep career was well and truly over.

Just as an aside, in his swan song year in 2011, Darren Lockyer turned out for just $200,000.

Last edited:
No, especially not with a 4 year, $800K per year contract on offer.

Also, given his injuries and his age, I'd hazard a guess that his rep career was well and truly over.

Just as an aside, in his swan song year in 2011, Darren Lockyer turned out for just $200,000.
I can't see the relevance. How is it DBs fault the club gave him a sensational contract at his age. What is he supposed to do, turn it down?
The coach kept picking him as well. This is all on the club. Meanwhile milf is on a million and in his comfort zone phoning it in.

Active Now

• KateBroncos1812
  • Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.