PLAYER Darius Boyd Discussion

I can't see the relevance. How is it DBs fault the club gave him a sensational contract at his age. What is he supposed to do, turn it down?
The coach kept picking him as well. This is all on the club. Meanwhile milf is on a million and in his comfort zone phoning it in.

I am not saying Darius is at fault for accepting his contract. Of course it is not his fault the contract was offered.

So, the relevance of my post lies simply in my reply to broncsgoat's post. He said it was perfectly reasonable for a 30 year old Boyd not to retire. My reply suggested it was indeed not at all unreasonable for him not to retire given he had an $800K contract offer put under his nose. Indeed, why should he not accept such a "sensational contract". Financially, it made perfect sense.

However for mine, it didn't make any sense for the club to offer him a 4 year contract, for the reasons I said above, and in the circumstances the club found itself at the time. For mine, the contract ought to have been for 2 years, with options based on form. For example, based on Darius's form in 2019, would the club have offered him a further 2 year extension? Of course, that question is asked with the benefit of hindsight, and it is now irrelevant, so I am not going there, unlike Seibold, who inherited the 4 year contract and kept picking Darius and was rightly pilloried for doing so.

So yes, this whole thing is, as you so rightly say, very much on the club. This is all on the club. Absolutely, 100% on the club.

As for Milford, his story, again for mine is a different narrative altogether. He is IMO the player we need, but a lot don't want. Part of my point here is that I feel Milford will come good once we have a new coach, preferably Walters, under who Milford really shone, whereas under Seibold, he failed, which has nothing to do with his longevity as a player, at this point in time at least, a point which of course is hotly debated on here.

Last edited:
I am not saying Darius is at fault for accepting his contract. Of course it is not his fault the contract was offered.

So, the relevance of my post lies simply in my reply to broncsgoat's post. He said it was perfectly reasonable for a 30 year old Boyd not to retire. My reply suggested it was indeed not at all unreasonable for him to retire given he had an $800K contract offer put under his nose. Indeed, why should he not accept such a "sensational contract". Financially, it made perfect sense.

However for mine, it didn't make any sense for the club to offer him a 4 year contract, for the reasons I said above, and in the circumstances the club found itself at the time. For mine, the contract ought to have been for 2 years, with options based on form. For example, based on Darius's form in 2019, would the club have offered him a further 2 year extension? Of course, that question is asked with the benefit of hindsight, and it is now irrelevant, so I am not going there, unlike Seibold, who inherited the 4 year contract and kept picking Darius and was rightly pilloried for doing so.

So yes, this whole thing is, as you so rightly say, very much on the club. This is all on the club. Absolutely, 100% on the club.

As for Milford, his story, again for mine is a different narrative altogether. He is IMO the player we need, but a lot don't want. Part of my point here is that I feel Milford will come good once we have a new coach, preferably Walters, under who Milford really shone, whereas under Seibold, he failed, which has nothing to do with his longevity as a player, at this point in time at least, a point which of course is hotly debated on here.

Milford is a good player to have on board for sure if he is motivated. A motivated Milford is an elite player but a motivated / fit Milford is a rare thing indeed. I think most would love to keep him if he was on $400k. At $1 million (+/-), he is NOT a good investment on any measure whatsoever.

Last edited:
Milford is a good player to have on board for sure if he is motivated. A motivated Milford is an elite player but a motivated / fit Milford is a rare thing indeed. I think most would love to keep him if he was on $400k. At $1 million (+/-), he is NOT a good investment on any measure whatsoever.

I agree with you about the issue of the value of his contract. As with Darius, that is however, not his fault that he was offered it, however, as with Darius, he is accountable for his form, as was the coach whose responsibility it is to get the best out of his players.

It is therefore up to both Milford and the new coach to see to it that he does play to his contract value, which we will discover next year, or if we get a glimpse of it this year if he plays.

Last edited:
Totally sick of hearing about this bloke. Lost all respect for him last year and he has made sure of it this year.

What are we exactly thanking him for. Over the last 3 years at least he has been one of the core reasons our club has spiralled. He is probably the worst leader I have ever seen. His attitude and commitment stink.

At times in his career he has been a good if not great player. I can acknowledge that, he has also been diabolically bad and self absorbed.

Looking forward to seeing the back of him. Can honestly see him being involved with the Titans at some point, he is that type of bloke.

Totally sick of hearing about this bloke. Lost all respect for him last year and he has made sure of it this year.

What are we exactly thanking him for. Over the last 3 years at least he has been one of the core reasons our club has spiralled. He is probably the worst leader I have ever seen. His attitude and commitment stink.

At times in his career he has been a good if not great player. I can acknowledge that, he has also been diabolically bad and self absorbed.

Looking forward to seeing the back of him. Can honestly see him being involved with the Titans at some point, he is that type of bloke.

I'd thank him for one of the best defensive highlight reels for '19-'20. Pure meme territory.

Darius has already said, a number of times, that he is looking forward to being involved with the Broncos in a mental health role, and I assume by that he meant actually working within the club, for the club, not as some kind of club endorsed ambassador for mental health. Maybe I am wrong but that is how i took it. In any case, it seems Darius is here to stay.

Darius has already said, a number of times, that he is looking forward to being involved with the Broncos in a mental health role, and I assume by that he meant actually working within the club, for the club, not as some kind of club endorsed ambassador for mental health. Maybe I am wrong but that is how i took it. In any case, it seems Darius is here to stay.
I mean this sincerely but does he have any qualifications ?

I mean this sincerely but does he have any qualifications ?

Um, he's written a book, and I think he might have done a few courses while navigating his journey through his depression. I am unaware of anything as far as formal credentials go.

Exactly how has he been a shining example of mental health? And what practical purpose does this role have? Is he going to be swanning around giving inspirational talks at psychiatric hospitals or something? Honest question, not having a dig at you. Pretty absurd imo.

Exactly how has he been a shining example of mental health? And what practical purpose does this role have? Is he going to be swanning around giving inspirational talks at psychiatric hospitals or something? Honest question, not having a dig at you. Pretty absurd imo.

Didn't take it that you were having a dig .... In terms of the "shining light" at our club ... exactly. I have no idea. As for his work around mental health outside the club, I do understand he does that. So, what his future role, if any, is at the club, again, I don't know. I just reported what Darius has said publicly about wanting to stay around the club after he retires, or putting it another way, Darius is here to stay, so he says.

Perhaps Darius's advocate on here can enlighten us.

Last edited:
Didn't take it that you were having a dig .... In terms of the "shining light" at our club ... exactly. I have no idea. As for his work around mental health outside the club, I do understand he does that. So, what his future role, if any, is at the club, again, I don't know. I just reported what Darius has said publicly about wanting to stay around the club after he retires, or putting it another way, Darius is here to stay, so he says.

Perhaps Darius's advocate on here can enlighten us.

He does a lot of things with schools and resilience programs in high school, around self esteem and talking about his experiences- Beyond Broncos program is in 40 schools this year.

He does a lot of things with schools and resilience programs in high school, around self esteem and talking about his experiences- Beyond Broncos program is in 40 schools this year.

Good to hear. Having worked extensively in mental health advocacy, I appreciate how important that sort of work is, and really needed, particularly in these troubled times of COVID. Well done.

InbornAdvancedCrab-size_restricted.gif

I'd be surprised if a fair amount don't rock up given it's a fair chance of a win along with DB's last game. I'll be travelling up the M1.

I'd be surprised if a fair amount don't rock up given it's a fair chance of a win along with DB's last game. I'll be travelling up the M1.

You don't need to keep constantly sinking the boot in, just watch from home otherwise our front office might think they've done a great job if lots of people go. Hehe

I've always wanted someone to explain this to me. Why does it change in this situation, but if we were talking about a person it has the apostrophe?
Think of it as comparable to his or hers.

Active Now

• BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  • bb_gun
  • BruiserMk1
  • Foordy
  • Lurker
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Broncosgirl
  • GCBRONCO
  • Browny
  • Xzei
  • Fitzy
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Midean
  • Brocko
  • Skyblues87
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • broncsgoat
  • Shane Tronc
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.