Darius Boyd told he won’t play round one, Jack Bird cut loose in Broncos upheaval

Lads I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, but I just can't believe the possibility of getting Cronk up here for a year isn't gaining more traction. Theres no contract with another club to worry about, he's still the best halfback in the game and he's the no nonsense sort of bloke we need here.

After 12 months, Dearden is possibly ready to take over, but if not, we would likely have a ton of cash to throw at anyone with Boyd, and quite possibly Macca, completely off our books in 2021.

Yeh he's said he's retiring, but what's the harm in making a discreet enquiry to his management to gauge if there's any interest?

It’s not getting any traction because you may as well be saying why don’t we invent a time machine and bring prime Alfie back from the past. It ain’t going to happen.

Lads I'm sorry to sound like a broken record, but I just can't believe the possibility of getting Cronk up here for a year isn't gaining more traction. Theres no contract with another club to worry about, he's still the best halfback in the game and he's the no nonsense sort of bloke we need here.

After 12 months, Dearden is possibly ready to take over, but if not, we would likely have a ton of cash to throw at anyone with Boyd, and quite possibly Macca, completely off our books in 2021.

Yeh he's said he's retiring, but what's the harm in making a discreet enquiry to his management to gauge if there's any interest?
Nice dream, but I think he’s nice and settled in Sydney with his wooza. In saying that, I’m not sure how anyone can be nice and settled in Sydney..

I hope I'm wrong, but Bird told to look elsewhere so that Darius loses captaincy and can move from 6 to 4 looks a possibility.

If the Broncos have let go Bird to facilitate Boyd there will be pitchforks outside Red Hill round 1.
Pisses me off for a number of reasons that he maybe going. I get that we need his money and he’ll free up funds for a possible 7.

I get that when he came to us as surplus to our needs and he was broken.

But he owes us for fixing and rehabilitating him not once but twice. He owes us for taking a good salary and playing only a couple of games.

He is not only the 'type' of player we need but also the type we will be trying to find and bring in to the team. The fact we already have him and allowing him to join a competitor and do to us what we expected him to do for us doesn’t sit well with me.

He can play a number of positions and play them well and always had a go. Turf some of the sloths out instead.

Pisses me off for a number of reasons that he maybe going. I get that we need his money and he’ll free up funds for a possible 7.

I get that when he came to us as surplus to our needs and he was broken.

But he owes us for fixing and rehabilitating him not once but twice. He owes us for taking a good salary and playing only a couple of games.

He is not only the 'type' of player we need but also the type we will be trying to find and bring in to the team. The fact we already have him and allowing him to join a competitor and do to us what we expected him to do for us doesn’t sit well with me.

He can play a number of positions and play them well and always had a go. Turf some of the sloths out instead.
Couldn't agree more. Surely Jack is principled enough to want to repay the faith the club showed him? If anyone wanted to hit the ground running next year you'd think it would be him.

Maybe it was because his salary was reportedly going up to 900K that the club saw him as too much of a risk. Perhaps there are things we don't know about his health either. But I wish to **** the club would be a wee bit more transparent and inform the fanbase as to what the hell is going on.

Nice dream, but I think he’s nice and settled in Sydney with his wooza. In saying that, I’m not sure how anyone can be nice and settled in Sydney..

If my wife is Tara Rushton, I think I’d be ok living in Sydney

Last edited:
I doubt it was really about living in Sydney for him, I mean that might be part of it. But I think it was about not playing with Smith now and the Mrs was just a convenient excuse.

Does Bird really play ANY position well?

He’s an absolute gun right Centre, average left Centre and played fullback and five-eighth fairly well YEARS ago.

He was also serviceable at hooker in origin but definitely didn’t set the world on fire.

He is likely a very good utility, does that make him worth almost a million a year?

Couldn't agree more. Surely Jack is principled enough to want to repay the faith the club showed him? If anyone wanted to hit the ground running next year you'd think it would be him.

Maybe it was because his salary was reportedly going up to 900K that the club saw him as too much of a risk. Perhaps there are things we don't know about his health either. But I wish to **** the club would be a wee bit more transparent and inform the fanbase as to what the hell is going on.

If he's unlike boyd and reads social media, he is constantly getting thrown up in discussions like this one about how he hasn't been good for us and should be moved on. If I was reading that about myself, I wouldn't really feel I owe anything to the fan base to be honest.

It's had me thinking lately that while the media constantly prattles on about how we have every advantage, and in a lot of aspects we do, it would be hard to come here as a player knowing you're just going to get blow torched if you get injured or string a few poor games together. The last two post and pre-seasons have been a fucking nightmare with media exposure, who would want to do that?

Active Now

• Financeguy
  • mystico
  • ivanhungryjak
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Brocko
  • Dash
  • MrMoore
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.