VOTE Darius Boyd vs Billy Slater

Who should be the Maroons fullback for Game II

• Billy Slater

• Darius Boyd

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
I was one who thought Slater was well past his best the last couple of seasons he played before getting injured but I think the time off has done him the world of good.
I have watched a fair bit of him since his return and he seems to have his mojo back. He's fast and has his agility back. If he goes well the next couple of weeks for the Storm he has to be seriously considered.
We can worry about next year next year. This year we need a big turnaround from last night and some spark from the back.
It will be interesting to see if Slater does any good with Smith out assuming he doesn't play this weekend against the Knights.
Having said all that it means nothing if our forwards get towelled again like they did last night.

It's too late to backflip, Darius is our Fullback for the next 3-5 years. Get Holmes in there, the sooner we blood the next gen, the sooner we're back on top.

Forget about next year. I think we can still win this series with JT AND Slater back. Absolutely sucked that he was not in game one. Only Boyd should go to the centers to replace O' Neil and leave Gaigai on the wing. Boyds great talent for setting up wingers to score tries would surely be wasted if they put him on the wing.

Forget about next year. I think we can still win this series with JT AND Slater back. Absolutely sucked that he was not in game one. Only Boyd should go to the centers to replace O' Neil and leave Gaigai on the wing. Boyds great talent for setting up wingers to score tries would surely be wasted if they put him on the wing.
You really want Boyd defending Hayne one on one, all game? Big call.

Are there any problems with Boyds defence?

Not really. He is a solid defender.

He could handle the defensive side of playing at centre. He has before.

Are there any problems with Boyds defence?

He's solid as a fullback but he hasn't defended exclusively in the frontline in about 9 years and you want him to play his first game back at centre in a vital Origin game marking Jarryd Hayne?

ONiell plays centre week in week out and Hayne made him look like a punk.

Centre one of the hardest positions to defend at on the field. Boyd would get destroyed there by Hayne imo. It's not easy to go and play a position you have rarely played or have recently played.

He's solid as a fullback but he hasn't defended exclusively in the frontline in about 9 years and you want him to play his first game back at centre in a vital Origin game marking Jarryd Hayne?

ONiell plays centre week in week out and Hayne made him look like a punk.

Not sure if I agree with you , but we could play Boyd at centre in attack and on the wing in defense if Hayne was too much to handle.

01 Slater
02 Oates
03 Boyd
04 Chambers
05 Gagai

Just seems to me to be the best way to get everyone in the team, with everyone playing in their natural position except Boyd, who lets face it, is by far the most versatile and loses the least by playing out of his regular spot.

I just think selecting Slater is a panic move ... I also think it is short sighted.

we need to be looking to the future and lets face it Slater will be unlikely to be there next year.

time to give some young players a shot

Not sure if I agree with you , but we could play Boyd at centre in attack and on the wing in defense if Hayne was too much to handle.

That just seems unecesserily complicated. I think we just drop Oniell for Holmes and move Gagai into centre. Nice and clean.

Or if we must have Billy then tell Oates he did a great job but we want to fit two of the best backs to ever play for QLD into the same team and that his time will come. Bringing Slater to fullback, Boyd to left wing, Gagai to centre, and Holmes to right wing.

Of course this is just my opinion and there is no real answer. I also think forwards are our bigger concern.

I just think selecting Slater is a panic move ... I also think it is short sighted.

we need to be looking to the future and lets face it Slater will be unlikely to be there next year.

time to give some young players a shot

Billy is playing pretty much as good as ever right now. Lets face it he is a freakish talent and whose to say he cant keep up this form for another year or two. Normal rules may not apply. If he has lost any speed it is certainly not obvious to me and he certainly has lost none of his passion for the game. Can we really afford to omit the best fullback of all time to blood some youngsters with an eye towards the future?

Can we really afford to omit the best fullback of all time to blood some youngsters with an eye towards the future?

Yes.

Because the best fullback of all time is currently 40 years old.

2456356-3x2-940x627.jpg

Can we really afford to omit the best fullback of all time to blood some youngsters with an eye towards the future?

absolutely especially as there is no guarantee that Slater will run around next season for the Storm. besides the best fullback of all time retire in 2011

Active Now

• Brocko
  • Mr Fourex
  • LGH
  • Allo
  • ChewThePhatt
  • theshed
  • GCBRONCO
  • Big Del
  • Harry Sack
  • Wolfie
  • Aldo
  • Sproj
  • Browny
  • the_next
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Alec
  • The Boss
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • KateBroncos1812
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.