Darren Lockyer - champion

gUt

gUt

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
Just watched the replay (taped) of the Canberra game. Locky seems to be close to his best, like the knee isn't troubling him. I reckon the long spells he has had this year will stand him in good stead for next year when he becomes the vital link between the Bennett and post-Bennett eras.

What I really wanted to say though is he's a f***ing champion. Just look at the way he plays. He has nothing left to achieve in the game except more of the same, and yet he runs around and competes as if the Broncos are in the GF or are battling to avoid the wooden spoon.

His skill and intensity alone make him supreme, but add to that the way he carries himself on and off the field just shows what a footballer can make of himself.

Watch him grow into his boots finally for 2008, and watch him take his team to at least the grand final and maybe the premiership this year. We can argue about the strengths and weaknesses of the team til the cows come home but any team with a fit and firing Locky leading it around is dangerous.

He is a f***ing champion, as you put it. He is the Wally Lewis or Alfie of this decade, a freak footballer and absolutely committed team player. Adding to that, he's a great role model and captain of Brisbane, QLD and Australia and it's not hard to look forward ten years and see him being remembered in the same light as the King or Alfie.
The 2008 team proved at the start of this year that they can win without him. I can't imagine the 2006 team having the same fluency in attack. If Locky is firing, at full fitness, by the time September comes around, we will have a team with more depth than we've had for the better part of this decade and the world's best player at pivot.

just wait till he starts dummying and running on the last. we will be unstoppable.

lol spoon. When I think to back to when he was the world best FB, and not 5/8th, the amount of times defenses would rush up on him when he got the ball as a 1st or 2nd option kicker and he would absolutely tear them to shreds, well I remember it fondly anyway. The most beautiful site in rugby league, Darren Lockyer on the fly.

When you watch the Canberra game its hard to believe he has only been back for a few games, the amount of cover defense he does, the kick chases, not to mention the 8-billion touches he had in attack, OMG, what a hero.

Everytime I see this man play, the more and more I start to think he is possibly the most naturally gifted player I have ever seen. Keeping in mind I have only seen footage of Wally. Lockyer seems to have more control and influence on a game than any player I have seen, in this era anyway. In my honest opinion, Darren Lockyer is a fair way ahead of Andrew Johns in terms of talent. Johns might be more technically gifted, but Lockyer has vision like no other player. The only thing Johns has on Locky IMO is defence, that is all. If we keep injury free for the rest of the season, and our forwards keep building form, we are in with a damn good shot at the title.

Lockyer's defense at fullback was great, in the front line he does need help dealing with forwards running at him constantly. In the Canberra game I seem to remember him whacking one of their forwards, might have been Thurling.

My only criticism of Locky post knee-op is his drop outs aren't as big. He has easily lost 10 metres on them. He doesn't seem to be as accurate with his long kicking game. And, the one that I'm sure he can and will fix; he still seems a little unconfident at running the ball at the line.

Either way, the 3 L's all ruled their respective decades. Lockyer=Epic

Hammo said:
My only criticism of Locky post knee-op is his drop outs aren't as big. He has easily lost 10 metres on them. He doesn't seem to be as accurate with his long kicking game. And, the one that I'm sure he can and will fix; he still seems a little unconfident at running the ball at the line.

That's why Wallace was bought, even in Locky's declining years, you've got a young up and comer, who in 2 or 3 years will be able to kick the long ball just as good, and be confident with his playing style.

They're very similar players with very similar footballing minds, which is a great thing.

yeh same made a new topic of it but it just got deleted

Can I just say that I have always thought Freddie was as good if not a better player than Johns. <--- IMO. But Lockyer dicks on them both.

The Rock said:
Lockyer is the greatest player I have ever seen. Ever. Before this season I said Alfie Langer was - but seriously, coming back from the most serious knee injury you can endure, getting back on the field at like 80% and still dominating a game - simply unbelievable. The man is a messiah. Genius.

I loved watching Tallis play the most, but Lockyer comes in a close second.

I don't want to turn this thread, however, Langer was a better ball player then lockyer is, no doubt.

And to even mention Tallis' name in the same breath as either of these players is a joke.

Lockyer is a five star player with no stink about him like Johns or Golden boy tag like fitler. He's been the nest thing in the game for a decade and the positive thing about the game still today. we are so lucky to have got to see him play and I value it as much as the time I got to see Wally going around. Long after he's retired we'll be talking about his brilliance and his genuine good nature.

Darren Lockyer *sigh* ... how I love...

Best.player.ever.

Hammo said:
The Rock said:
Lockyer is the greatest player I have ever seen. Ever. Before this season I said Alfie Langer was - but seriously, coming back from the most serious knee injury you can endure, getting back on the field at like 80% and still dominating a game - simply unbelievable. The man is a messiah. Genius.

I loved watching Tallis play the most, but Lockyer comes in a close second.

I don't want to turn this thread, however, Langer was a better ball player then lockyer is, no doubt.

And to even mention Tallis' name in the same breath as either of these players is a joke.

Langer had the best short passing game of anyone I've ever seen. Short kicking game was nearly perfect too.

Longer passes and kicks...Lockyer pips him.

Running games are an interesting comparison. Langer had an incredible ability to jink, step and score from close to the line. Lockyer is more likely to make a break from further out and have the pace to turn it into something. Different players.

If I had a choice of a half/five-eighth combination for the Broncos for eternity, I'd pick Langer and Lockyer any day.

Yes, even over Wally *blaspheme* :P

I would pick Langer/Walters so I could have Locky at fullback :)

With Renouf and Johns in the centres.
And Tuqiri and Sailor on the wings.

*oops*

Um, brb, gotta change underpants.

For vision during a game, no-one comes close to Wally. You'd watch him and think, "Why is he going there?" Two tackles later, he has set a seemingly simple play up for a try. He also had the same vision in defence. Probably the only players I have seen come anywhere near him in this regard is Locky and Fittler.

Active Now

• Allo
  • Tmac
  • BruiserMk1
  • johnny plath
  • Broncosgirl
  • ChewThePhatt
  • Foordy
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Financeguy
  • Sproj
  • Shane Tronc
  • Hoof Hearted
  • pennywisealfie
  • ostin86
  • kman
  • RodF
  • Skyblues87
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
... and 6 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.