OFFICIAL Dave Donaghy Named New Broncos CEO

The broncos legal team is not too concerned:
Images 2

Bellamy is tipped to make a decision next week, also subject to a non-compete clause. Rumoured to be a toss between Melbourne and Brisbane.
Options are said to be:

1. Move to Queensland for family reasons from 2022 onwards. Remain with Storm as a part-time consultant.
2. Ditch Storm, move to Sunshine Coast, join Kevin Walters in 2022.
3. Remain with Storm for 2022 only.

Karl Morris insists Donaghy will be CEO this season:

“Dave will start here at the appropriate time. I don’t want to poke Melbourne, but I’m a bit bemused by this. We know that Dave finished at Melbourne at the end of January and we look forward to him joining us. We won’t be looking for another CEO. Dave has signed a contract with the Broncos, but there is no starting date at this stage and he will start at the appropriate time.”

McHunt

Last edited:
I could be wrong, probably am, but I wonder if this belligerence from Melbourne / Matt Tripp in enforcing these non-compete clauses might end up backfiring and driving Bellamy away ..?

Sure it might be in the contract but it’s a pretty pointless thing to enforce and a less than amicable way to treat somebody who has given your organisation many years of outstanding service.

To be perfectly honest, I hope it does blow up in his face because the way it’s being played out with Dave Donaghy seems to be little more than spite and bruised ego.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, probably am, but I wonder if this belligerence from Melbourne / Matt Tripp in enforcing these non-compete clauses might end up backfiring and driving Bellamy away ..?

Sure it might be in the contract but it’s a pretty pointless thing to enforce and a less than amicable way to treat somebody who has given your organisation many years of outstanding service.

To be perfectly honest, I hope it does blow up in his face because the way it’s being played out with Dave Donaghy seems to be little more than spite and bruised ego.
Absolutely this. The guy has done an incredible job for Melbourne over the years and instead of thanking him for his service and wishing him success they're being fuckheads and getting litigious. If I was someone in the NRL side of the world I'd think three times before considering an offer from them.

The courier mail is saying that Donaghy is being used as a pawn in the Bellamy "power struggle"

the cm says this legal stoush is a shot over the bow of us due to our pursuit of Bellamy

p.s. they say Bellamy also has a non-compete clause in his contract

on a side note, how would the new Storm CEO feel right now ... It is a bit like pining over your ex right in front of your new misses lol

Last edited:
The more pressing issue for Craig Bellamy right now is his wife Wendy's health. She has been unwell for some time, and the decision between Brisbane and Melbourne is likely up to her. Both clubs are giving him space to be with his family. But they won't wait forever.

Bellamy has confirmed the Storm has informally offered him another year as Head Coach, with the expectation an a formal offer will follow:

“It came up a few weeks ago. They haven’t made an offer yet. They wanted to make an offer to go one more year as head coach. I haven’t even thought about it yet because of the situation we are in. Until I can sit down with (Wendy) and talk about (my future) there will be no decision. I suppose people will want an answer. But it’s not a priority at the moment. It’s way down the list to be honest.”

8761509966a023569a086114ba116b83

A long time ago, they used to be friends.

Melbourne's latest COVID outbreak, and his players being banned from the forthcoming NRL All Stars match, has reminded him whether he stays with Melbourne or not, he may be headed back to QLD:

"There were some disappointed boys today. Those guys love representing their people. We’re hanging in there. If it gets worse, we may end up moving again.”

McHunt

Last edited:
The talk today is all about Cronulla making a play for Bellamy:

"We can confirm meetings have been ongoing between the Sharks, Craig Bellamy and his advisors in relation to a potential coaching director role at our club from 2022 onwards. Until there is more to report, the Sharks will be making no further comment.”

“There’s a Sydney club, but I can’t name them. They’ve done a really good job to keep it secret. I’ve been talking to them for as long as the Broncos offer has been there. It’s a serious option. Cronulla is a really nice place. Honestly I can’t say anything. I’ve had a bit on my plate but I’ll make a decision soon.”

The talk today is all about Cronulla making a play for Bellamy:

"We can confirm meetings have been ongoing between the Sharks, Craig Bellamy and his advisors in relation to a potential coaching director role at our club from 2022 onwards. Until there is more to report, the Sharks will be making no further comment.”

“There’s a Sydney club, but I can’t name them. They’ve done a really good job to keep it secret. I’ve been talking to them for as long as the Broncos offer has been there. It’s a serious option. Cronulla is a really nice place. Honestly I can’t say anything. I’ve had a bit on my plate but I’ll make a decision soon.”
There's a Sydney club but I can't name them.... Cronulla is a really nice place.....

Yep, this is genuine and not just a bargaining tactic...

So when do Melbourne’s legal threats against Cronulla start? Or is it just us they have the problem with?
At the point of him breaking a non-compete clause. He would have to accept the contract and commence work during the non-compete period.

Last edited:
I read it as Bellyache meant there's a second, undisclosed Sydney club. Which would surely be a novel situation for him.
No, he was being coy on which Sydney club, and then the reporter directly asked him about Cronulla.

Last edited:
He'd love the extra cap space... Also less paperwork with the second contracts not being required
He'd be better off signing for the gold coast "build them up to stop them folding from a new team coming in SEQ" Titans for 3 years before then joining the redcliffe "will get a free run to drum up support" dolphins after that.. normal play to resume in 6 years

Last edited:

Active Now

• Mighty Bronx
  • Thelmus
  • Broncos Maestro
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Lozza
  • Wild Horse
  • Johnny92
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • MrRobot
  • Astro
  • MrTickyMcG
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • cento
  • Broncosgirl
  • Aldo
  • Pablo
  • I bleed Maroon
  • ell.d33
  • Dash
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.