OFFICIAL Dave Donaghy Named New Broncos CEO

Annersley's response to Dave's call for help from the NRL to retain developed players:

NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the idea to provide salary cap dispensation so clubs can keep more juniors "is always worthy of debate" but there are several complicating factors to consider.

"Some of our clubs don’t have big junior areas, for example, so they have to rely on buying players," Annesley said on Monday.

"And where do those players come from? They come from other clubs. There’s also restrictions about salary caps and how many players you can have in your squad.

"You can’t keep them all, you can’t pay for them all. It’s always worthy of debate and there are always options that perhaps haven’t been considered in the past or different ways of structuring these things.

"But ultimately, that’s not determined by the NRL football department. We would provide information to the [ARL] Commission, but that’s a policy decision and that’s a decision that would have to be dealt with by the Commission."

Annesley added that as far as he was aware the Commission hasn’t discussed the issue in recent times.

From nrl.com

Funnily enough, he admits he would have nothing to do with the decision but still says it shouldn't happen because it won't benefit the Roos...I mean SOME clubs.

Also notice the bolded bit? Funny how that only applies to most teams not named the Roos...I mean in general.

Annersley's response to Dave's call for help from the NRL to retain developed players:

NRL head of football Graham Annesley said the idea to provide salary cap dispensation so clubs can keep more juniors "is always worthy of debate" but there are several complicating factors to consider.

"Some of our clubs don’t have big junior areas, for example, so they have to rely on buying players," Annesley said on Monday.

"And where do those players come from? They come from other clubs. There’s also restrictions about salary caps and how many players you can have in your squad.

"You can’t keep them all, you can’t pay for them all. It’s always worthy of debate and there are always options that perhaps haven’t been considered in the past or different ways of structuring these things.

"But ultimately, that’s not determined by the NRL football department. We would provide information to the [ARL] Commission, but that’s a policy decision and that’s a decision that would have to be dealt with by the Commission."

Annesley added that as far as he was aware the Commission hasn’t discussed the issue in recent times.

From nrl.com

Funnily enough, he admits he would have nothing to do with the decision but still says it shouldn't happen because it won't benefit the Roos...I mean SOME clubs.

Also notice the bolded bit? Funny how that only applies to most teams not named the Roos...I mean in general.
What a totally expected response...ffs

Worlds greatest game, governed by the worlds worst administration.

From nrl.com

TL:DR Most Sydney clubs and Melbourne aren't pulling their weight in junior development so we would rather keep the status quo of a few clubs supplying the entire comp because that means no extra work for us. Also Nick Politis knows how to whinge, don't want a bar of that shit.

From nrl.com

All the clubs with big production areas should just ban together and agree to stop funding it. Broncos Panthers etc

Any response is a start. When is the last time PW made the NRL feel uncomfortable about anything?

Keep the media pressure on.
Good point

Maybe, just maybe if we keep this issue front and centre it might get some traction amongst other similarly impacted clubs who will speak up.

I really want this addressed. Not just for the Broncos but the whole game. The lack of focus and investment by the NRL on junior development in existing and fringe markets is a massive concern.

Time to call their bluff. The are fucked if we stop developing which would leave only the Panthers as the big junior developer. If we pulled out you could kiss expansion goodbye so get on the front foot with a press release on conference saying “In regards to the response from Annersley we fundamentally disagree with his statement and will be discussing this with the commission when possible. In the meantime we have started the process of wrapping up our junior academies so we can focus on the same priorities as a majority of the rest of the competition with a view of complete withdrawal by 2022”.

Guarantee Vlandys is on the phone within the hour.

Time to call their bluff. The are fucked if we stop developing which would leave only the Panthers as the big junior developer. If we pulled out you could kiss expansion goodbye so get on the front foot with a press release on conference saying “In regards to the response from Annersley we fundamentally disagree with his statement and will be discussing this with the commission when possible. In the meantime we have started the process of wrapping up our junior academies so we can focus on the same priorities as a majority of the rest of the competition with a view of complete withdrawal by 2022”.

Guarantee Vlandys is on the phone within the hour.
Truthfully, we'd only be shooting ourselves in the foot if we pulled out of junior development in SEQ and beyond. It's a rich resource and a new overseer would rapidly take our place. If we're being honest the Broncos don't spend money for the good of the game or for the players either. The Broncos do it for the Broncos but make it a virtue because it has great optics.

The Broncos just want a little more back on the investment, a greater return and I don't mean purely in a financial sense. Although the QRL see us as a benevolent society we do stuff to benefit ourselves first and foremost. The flow on, drip down benefits are incidental and that's where the Broncos would like a bit more. We do benefit overall and I don't see them giving up that.

It’s DD’s first week on the job. I doubt he gives up the fight here.
Exactly.
I'm freaking stoked he came out firing on his first day, brilliant stuff and has shown his hand immediately.
I already like the bloke based on his front foot approach and wasting no time on what is probably the biggest issue at the Broncos right now, which is retaining developed talent.

Good stuff DD.

All good, if they don’t do anything th

What were they saying? Of course they were gonna bash him because broncos.
About our development and retaining players. Basically laughing at the fact why should we get benefits for developing players and we let this player go and going to lose coates etc etc. Like there is no salary cap lol

From nrl.com

You don’t want junior development you just want development. Broncos have very few Brisbane kids.

Coates is a Coast junior so the Broncos wouldn’t get anything for him.

You should be rewarded for players making their debut for you. No matter where you got them from.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.