OFFICIAL Dave Donaghy Named New Broncos CEO

I made this point yesterday, junior is outdated. You're right it should be the effort made up to you making your debut and then where did you debut.

That's why I think Donaghy shouldn't have said junior. If he's spoken about development and debuts I think he would have got more traction.
It wouldn't have mattered what he said, we are Sydney's punching bag atm, they hear only what they want to hear. Hopefully it won't shy donaghy away from advocating for the club, that's where Bennett was good, he wasn't afraid to put people in their place. I think lately the media have been allowed to get away with saying whatever they want unchecked because they knew no one at the club would pull them up on it.

The Falcons is a hard one for me, a lot of what was promised actually never happened, I played for them in the early days. It also did a lot of harm to the local league as clubs suffered immensely as their talent was pulled from under them, the money wasn't being trickled down into the local comp and some teams ended up being full of Falcons player and others not. When they were the Sea Eagles there FOGS team got relegated and plaid in the local comp, you can imagine what that did. It was floggings all round, a bitter pill to swallow. It's come good but I would argue it hasn't been a huge benefit to the local League, especially the A grade comp.
Thanks for the background info. It’s nice to hear the Storm can stuff things up as well.

I made this point yesterday, junior is outdated. You're right it should be the effort made up to you making your debut and then where did you debut.

That's why I think Donaghy shouldn't have said junior. If he's spoken about development and debuts I think he would have got more traction.

Even then, that is fraught with danger. Walsh debuted for NZ three weeks after arriving, can’t say they developed him. Or Suaalii arriving on a shifty as contract to the Roosters as a by all reports ready made 16/17 year old, should he be considered a Roosters' junior?

This is the point, there should be discussion about all of this, not just shooting it down because well Broncos.

Blog update:
The hard salary cap ought be gotten rid of and a soft cap brought in with a tax for going over like in US baseball. Assign value to players as well so the rorters can’t claim that someone like Walker stayed for half his market value out of the goodness of his heart.

Isn't that what Donaghy said? He never specifically mentioned Brisbane juniors either.

"There is no reward for development. There’s an ability for vultures to swoop in and throw ridiculous amounts of money and steal your best talent.

"Is this something that needs to be on the agenda for the NRL? Yes it will be.

Thanks for the background info. It’s nice to hear the Storm can stuff things up as well.
To be a fair the Falcons was not affiliated with the Storm when I was there. It was a new start and we were in FOGS not ISC. They had the Sea Eaglers first and that was after I moved on. But it still stands that the A grade comp is not the same since the Falcons/Sea Eagles.

Isn't that what Donaghy said? He never specifically mentioned Brisbane juniors either.

Sorry I mis-read I thought he said junior. But I still think the same about the discussion.

Development contracts need a complete overhaul.
Only way poaching will stop.
I’m not an expert, but just my thoughts on one solution:
  • For starters, these development contracts should be registered with the NRL.
  • Eligible for players 13-17 years of age only.
  • NRL needs to establish protocols for minimum training days at club facilities, player expenses, education courses and grass roots funding (For argument’s sake say this is $50k per annum)
  • Once that player turns 18 years old, the parent club has the option to sign all development players on a guaranteed 12 month pro contract. The club is not allowed to sign the player for longer. There is a minimum wage and this is to form part of the salary cap for that year. This ensures clubs are selective about who they choose to keep, because 10 x players at $70,000 = $700,000 that they are losing off the salary cap.
  • Other clubs cannot sign the player until the end of this 12 month deal (ie. once they are 19 years old). The exception is in the case where the parent club chooses not to take up the 12 month contract.
  • Here’s the catch…from this point in time all players are available to offers from other clubs. However the $50K per annum ‘development fee’ that the parent club paid for each year it was in place, this is eligible to be a salary cap exemption against that player’s salary.

So to reference this with a real-life example, in Reece Walsh. Under my proposal:
  • This season he would’ve entered into a 12 month pro contract. That $70,000 would’ve counted toward our salary cap.
  • Development contract was registered with the NRL since he was 13 years old (5 seasons)
  • We would be eligible for a $250,000 cap exemption on his first professional contract.
Now this may or may not have stopped him from signing with the Warriors. At least this gives the club first choice to sign the players they want to keep. The earlier the talent is identified the greater the reward at the end with a greater cap exemption. This helps to encourage more junior development and will grow better talent, as local clubs can have more funds to invest in facilities, infrastructure and coaching knowing that they are getting a financial reward for doing so.

Even if this was in place…we’d still probably have stuffed it up over the last few years!

@Matheos
The only thing i would change is the minimum 12 months. If they want to take a gamble and lock them up for 5 years, and the player agrees so be it. That contract whould also get a 25% or 50% discount off the cap.

Haas was with the Titans and Warriors before the Broncos. Titans stuffed it by telling him he couldn't play for Keebra anymore.
Where was the headline “Gold Coast Titans incompetence leads to immense talent heading to little brother, the Brisbane Broncos” headline.
I never recall reading hundreds of articles from all the ’news’ outlets spinning how the Titans let a once in a generation player like Haas leave the club.
Yet today I see a headline “Titans rub salt into Broncos wound with new signing”. Claiming that the Titans have gotten another one over the Broncos by luring Turner to the club.
Funny that 🤔

@Matheos
The only thing i would change is the minimum 12 months. If they want to take a gamble and lock them up for 5 years, and the player agrees so be it. That contract whould also get a 25% or 50% discount off the cap.
Don't disagree and that could work. I guess my logic was that the 12 month window gives the club the best opportunity to see the player in reserve grade / NRL level without having to take a risk before they turn 18. But fair play to the club if they want to gamble.
My cap exemption isn't % based, its weighted based on how many years they had a development contract registered with the NRL.
Even if the club had a player in their nursery since they were 14... if they didn't register them on a development contract the cap exemption is $0.

Where was the headline “Gold Coast Titans incompetence leads to immense talent heading to little brother, the Brisbane Broncos” headline.
I never recall reading hundreds of articles from all the ’news’ outlets spinning how the Titans let a once in a generation player like Haas leave the club.
Yet today I see a headline “Titans rub salt into Broncos wound with new signing”. Claiming that the Titans have gotten another one over the Broncos by luring Turner to the club.
Funny that 🤔

He was 15. Hardly headline worthy at the time.

Just got member mail from our new CEO advising the following (amongst other things)

'This will include ensuring head coach Kevin Walters has all the tools he needs to continue to unlock our squad’s potential and ensuring your experience as members is the best in the country.'

He needs to know that’s the main problem. He’s been surrounded by tools, particularly in the recruitment / retention department, since he arrived. With all due respect Dave - you need to get rid of them - please!

Just got member mail from our new CEO advising the following (amongst other things)

'This will include ensuring head coach Kevin Walters has all the tools he needs to continue to unlock our squad’s potential and ensuring your experience as members is the best in the country.'

He needs to know that’s the main problem. He’s been surrounded by tools, particularly in the recruitment / retention department, since he arrived. With all due respect Dave - you need to get rid of them - please!
Maybe he was referring to re-signing Staggs.

Kevvie said DD and himself are both on the same page and their focus is getting the right people in the right position in regards to staff. I think they understand the source of the problem and Nolan's days at the Broncos are numbered. Hopefully they also remove Locky out of the boardroom and recruitment committee and into a halves/kicking coach.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Xzei
  • Broncosarethebest
  • marw
  • RolledOates
  • Browny
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.