NEWS Dave strikes

Donuts:

“We’ve made substantial progress in finalising our squad for next season and beyond. Given the changes that have been made, stability is important now. The leaders in the football program have been tremendous here in putting the system needed to be successful together. That will evolve over time too."

“Ben Ikin has been a great addition and his arrival has allowed Kevin to focus on coaching. What I’ve been delighted with is how our people have been willing to adapt and evolve both in their mentality and with the way they go about their business. There’s been some big changes made inside the club already, now it’s about stability, setting a plan with short and long-term goals and seeing progress as we set about achieving those goals. The buy-in across the club has been great.”

“From where I sit, Walters appears to be really enjoying his coaching more. Ben Ikin’s arrival has provided Kevin with a narrower focus and since the South loss, we have seen progress in our system and, in turn, our performances.”

McHunt

scenes when we play hardball with Haas, the forum might completely lose it.

The gist of this topic is hidden behind paywall but it seems to be about setting contract deadlines?

scenes when we play hardball with Haas, the forum might completely lose it.

It won’t include me. As much as I love the guy and what he does on field, I’m not sad if he walks away wanting a million dollars or more over 10 years, that isn’t good business. It’ll definitely hurt in the short term but definitely won’t inthe medium to long turn.

It won’t include me. As much as I love the guy and what he does on field, I’m not sad if he walks away wanting a million dollars or more over 10 years, that isn’t good business. It’ll definitely hurt in the short term but definitely won’t inthe medium to long turn.
Yeah I'm with you... in my eyes there arent many in the current squad that are must keeps or worth getting into a bidding war over.

I think Walsh is the one that we needed to go hard to retain, but they let him slip. The only top tier players that we have at the moment are Staggs and Haas, and neither play in the spine.

Haas is a work rate monster, but needs a bit more for me to consider him a top top tier prop. He could get there, as proven by his game against the sharks, but that needs to become his norm for him to get $1m.

AFB pumps out 50-60mins a game, but also brings an offload, aggression and is able to get a roll on through his ptb's.

Yeah I'm with you... there arent many in the current squad that are must keeps or worth getting into a bidding war over.

Haas is a work rate monster, but needs a bit more for me to consider him a top top tier prop. He could get there, as proven by his game against the sharks, but that needs to become his norm for him to get $1m.

AFB pumps out 50-60mins a game, but also brings an offload, aggression and is able to get a roll on through his ptb's.

And is on $800k for less years. $1 million for a prop, no matter how good they are, is crazy.

Donuts:

“We’ve made substantial progress in finalising our squad for next season and beyond. Given the changes that have been made, stability is important now. The leaders in the football program have been tremendous here in putting the system needed to be successful together. That will evolve over time too."

“Ben Ikin has been a great addition and his arrival has allowed Kevin to focus on coaching. What I’ve been delighted with is how our people have been willing to adapt and evolve both in their mentality and with the way they go about their business. There’s been some big changes made inside the club already, now it’s about stability, setting a plan with short and long-term goals and seeing progress as we set about achieving those goals. The buy-in across the club has been great.”

“From where I sit, Walters appears to be really enjoying his coaching more. Ben Ikin’s arrival has provided Kevin with a narrower focus and since the South loss, we have seen progress in our system and, in turn, our performances.”

McHunt
I'm starting to form a little man crush on Donaghy. It's almost like he's intentionally trying to seduce me and if I'm being honest I don't mind. 😅

The gist of this topic is hidden behind paywall but it seems to be about setting contract deadlines?
This is all it says:

"Donaghy will afford off-contract Broncos top-liners reasonable time to sort out their futures, and will impose tighter time frames to prevent contract talks spiralling out of control."

Yeah I'm with you... in my eyes there arent many in the current squad that are must keeps or worth getting into a bidding war over.

I think Walsh is the one that we needed to go hard to retain, but they let him slip. The only top tier players that we have at the moment are Staggs and Haas, and neither play in the spine.

Capewell is current top tier. Reynolds is fading top tier. Flegler is questionable top tier (none of us think he is, but commentators like him).

Willison, Kennedy, Hetherington, Robati, Riki, Bullemor: there's at least one emerging top tier in there.

“Ben Ikin has been a great addition and his arrival has allowed Kevin to focus on coaching.”

Fair point honestly.

I didn't even really consider that Walters was essentially doing the job of 3 people at the start of the season, acting as a coach, as well as a pseudo CEO / head of football with White & Nolan being dead men walking and the club not wanting them to make any decisions because they weren't a part of the future plan.

Throw in all of the necessary roster turnover and I think I'm nearly willing to write this season off from a coaching point of view. As long as we finish this last month strong and continue with the improved defensive efforts, things will be looking way up for 2022.

Capewell is current top tier. Reynolds is fading top tier. Flegler is questionable top tier (none of us think he is, but commentators like him).

Willison, Kennedy, Hetherington, Robati, Riki, Bullemor: there's at least one emerging top tier in there.
I’d be happy to offer Haas a 5 year $850-$1m p/a deal starting 2023. Give him until the end of August next year to decide. If he doesn’t accept then we can start succession planning and get to keep Payne on $500k until the end of 2025 anyway and if a good alternative becomes available it would be easy to let Haas walk to accomodate it.

He’s a good player but 10 years is irresponsible cap management. I don’t think we are worse off having a top tier prop signing (eg Welch) and partnering them with a guy like Xavier Willison or who ever else comes through and kicks on in 3 years time.

Active Now

• Foordy
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • theshed
  • Evander
  • Wolfie
  • Fitzy
  • phoenix
  • Bish
  • mitch222
  • Mr Fourex
  • TwoLeftFeet
  • HarryAllan7
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Sproj
  • ChewThePhatt
  • broncsgoat
  • Manofoneway
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.