NEWS David Mead signs for one year

McHunt

McHunt

International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018

Highly experienced outside back David Mead has returned to the Brisbane Broncos on a one-year contract for the 2021 season. The 32-year-old, who has captained the PNG Kumuls, has spent the last three years playing Super League for the Catalans Dragons, scoring 29 tries in 58 games. Prior to that Mead crossed for 70 tries in 159 NRL games – a season at the Broncos in 2017 after playing at the Titans from 2009-16. Born in Port Moresby before moving to Australia at age 12, Mead has played for his country 14 times, including captaining the Kumuls at the 2017 World Cup.

Broncos Coach
Kevin Walters said:

“David has really good experience, both here and overseas. He’s played international football. We feel we’ve got a lot of good, young players coming through and David is one of those players who can help nurture their training habits, their playing habits. “He’s a very experienced player and we’re very happy to have him on board.”

McHunt

Last edited:
1773d95e03a2224cfffaa0d1a9fd0c31.jpeg

Only 12 months so no risk.

Mead and Coates being PNG boys might see Mead provide some mentoring. Would be nice if Mead sells Broncos over Titans as a better place to be for his career given he's spent time at both clubs

It isn't a signing to be overly excited about but you can see the method behind it in trying to get some old heads and good trainers on board.

"Hey David, Oates broke his hand, wanna 12 month deal?"

We can try to fool ourselves into thinking this is not a nothing signing, but it probably is just a nothing signing to fill up the roster. He's had one shot with the Broncos already and was mediocre, and that was 4 years ago when he was physically around his peak. I think Kennar probably offers a bit more at this stage as a depth option.

We can try to fool ourselves into thinking this is not a nothing signing, but it probably is just a nothing signing to fill up the roster. He's had one shot with the Broncos already and was mediocre, and that was 4 years ago when he was physically around his peak. I think Kennar probably offers a bit more at this stage as a depth option.
Played decent footy at fullback for Catalans. I think he is a good signing and we we will get better value out of him this time.

I think he was signed as an appeal to Coates to re-sign

Mead said:

“It’s a huge motivation (competing at NRL level). Just playing out this year and the way everything happened with COVID, I probably didn’t think I’d have an opportunity to come back to the NRL and I always wanted to. I actually couldn’t believe when the opportunity came about. My manager spoke to (coach) Kevvie Walters at the back end of the season when I had a month or two left with the Catalans and there was an opportunity there for me and I didn’t hesitate to take it. Now I’m here, I have to work hard and try and earn my spot.”

"I wasn’t watching (the NRL) regularly, but the games I did watch, the intensity looks like it’s picked up a lot with the six-again tackle come in. It looks like it’s a lot more physical and a lot faster so I’m looking forward to it.”

McHunt

Unread

Active Now

• I bleed Maroon
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • ivanhungryjak
  • bb_gun
  • BroncosAlways
  • Brocko
  • Morkel
  • marw
  • broncos4life
  • Rah88
  • Jazza
  • Financeguy
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Mustafur
  • Mr Fourex
  • Justwin
  • Broncosgirl
  • Santa
  • Gaz
... and 22 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.