NEWS Dearden is hot to trot

Exactly but everyone does it , I tell my boss regularly I'm worth more and have other companies interested in me. If you don't then you're going to get low balled all the time, it's just business.
I don’t have a problem with it it just seems many do.

I don’t have a problem with it it just seems many do.
Yeah I know that is why I agreed with you.
Most seem to have an issue with it and that's why there should be a trade window, and also get rid of this bullshit letting players to sign a year prior. Fans have every to be pissed about the situation and the fact the media love to slam us makes it worse.

Have heard that as well, which means they may go Clifford as 7 for 12 months and hope that Dearden can come in as a 7 from then onwards, but what's the plan if they dont get Dearden?

I believe Asi is a 6 and Drinkwater is a 6 or 1, add in Morgan who's always been a 6 (excluding 5 weeks in 2017) and they're basically in the same boat as us with 6's everywhere but no 7... Except they just let a very promising 7 walk out the door.

I believe someone said Sam Walker is off contract next year... we should look to resolve Dearden soon to give us time to go after Sam if Dearden walks.

Understand there are issues between Walker bros and the Broncos, but PW and Seibold are gone... that only leaves the amateur hour that is Nolan, but Kevvie might be able to mend some bridges

Asi is more a center than a half, just played 6 last year because they were a bit short of players. Heard Payten saying as well he sees drinkwater as a 1.

Last week this story was everywhere:

HScreenshot 2021 02 18 Broncos eye classy Cowboy as pressure builds on Milf

HScreenshot 2021 02 18 Broncos eye classy Cowboy as pressure builds on Milf1

Last edited:
STOP PRESS

HScreenshot 2021 02 18 Parra ready to up pursuit for star Bronco
HScreenshot 2021 02 18 Massive bid set to knock premiers out of race for star

Last edited:
Deardens turn to talk about his dream of playing for the broncos.

I would like dearden to stay but if he goes, it is not the end of the world. We could go get sam walker back (now that kevie and donaghy are at the helm, this may be possible), or someone else, or the "next big talent" will come along in a year or two. We just need to move on.

I haven't read any of them, do any of them talk about said player being a junior and passionate fan of said club AND having toured their facilities AND met with a great of the club?
Who isn't a passionate fan of the Broncos? C'mon.

I know there is a lot of water to go under the bridge before this happens BUT for years now we've been told about how good our halves prospects are and that broncos have 3 young halves coming through all with potential to be starting seven's for the next decade.

To date we have lost Tanah Boyd to the Tits and he is yet to make his mark on the game. Corey Paix is stuck in this awkward halfback filling in as a hooker kind of role (not to dissimilar to a young Ben Hunt) and is yet to make his mark on the game. And then you have dearden who is also yet to fire a shot and apparently been poached by other clubs.

How disheartening will it be while also highlighting a sign of the times at the broncos if the one position we supposedly had covered 3 times over turns out that none of these three even become regular first grade halves OR become stars for another club.

To really sink the boot in, throw ash taylor into the equation as another bronco's half who was touted by us as the next big thing and he too has achieived nothing yet.

Compare this is to the storm for example and ryan papenhuyzen. You wouldnt barely have known he existed than the storm debut him at 21 (possibly could have been 20 years old) and he's making an instant impact.

It really highlights a problem with our development ane scouting team in my opinion that our strike rate is so poor.

I know there is a lot of water to go under the bridge before this happens BUT for years now we've been told about how good our halves prospects are and that broncos have 3 young halves coming through all with potential to be starting seven's for the next decade.

To date we have lost Tanah Boyd to the Tits and he is yet to make his mark on the game. Corey Paix is stuck in this awkward halfback filling in as a hooker kind of role (not to dissimilar to a young Ben Hunt) and is yet to make his mark on the game. And then you have dearden who is also yet to fire a shot and apparently been poached by other clubs.

How disheartening will it be while also highlighting a sign of the times at the broncos if the one position we supposedly had covered 3 times over turns out that none of these three even become regular first grade halves OR become stars for another club.

To really sink the boot in, throw ash taylor into the equation as another bronco's half who was touted by us as the next big thing and he too has achieived nothing yet.

Compare this is to the storm for example and ryan papenhuyzen. You wouldnt barely have known he existed than the storm debut him at 21 (possibly could have been 20 years old) and he's making an instant impact.

It really highlights a problem with our development ane scouting team in my opinion that our strike rate is so poor.
I think the biggest issue I've noticed from Tanah, Dearden and possibly Paix (haven't seen enough of him) is the total lack of a long kicking game. Combine that with Milf, Bhunt and Kodi, and we've basically had no long kicking game since PWall (and I dont even rate his long kicking at all) and no elite kicker since Lockyer!

Watching Clifford last year you can see he has a powerful and sweetly timed long kick... but he'll be plying his trade at Newcastle.

Corey Norman also has an effortlessly long kicking game... but his mentality is garbage when playing anything other than 7.

Taylor has a reasonable long kicking game, but not elite... and we decided to let him walk anyway.

If you dont have a strong long kicking game it is difficult to win the field position battle especially in the new NSWRL where there are no penalties, offsides, 6-agains, etc.

You just cant get to the other end of the field. The strong teams last year had great long kickers that could win field position CS9, Cleary, Moses and Reynolds, even roosters had Flannigan (not the most accurate long kick, but still decent distance wise).

I recall a set where Panthers were stuck in their own 30m and Cleary kicked it to the opposition 30m on the full on 3rd or 4th tackle. The fullback wasnt deep enough and the kick chase tackled the him on the 30m line after he finally recovered the ball... instant field position from a shithouse set

It seems like we've been going with run first/ flashy halves who look good in the juniors because they're bigger and faster... but if you have a Cleary or someone sitting in 7 you can afford to have one of those halves next to them. You cant afford to have two flashy halves with no kicking game

Last edited:
I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling in the pit of my gut the Cows will get their man.

It’s an NRL trend to be fair. Other than Cleary and Munster what half has debuted in the last 10 years that will be remembered in history? Even les so if you specifically mean organising halves. It’s a dying position.

I think the biggest issue I've noticed from Tanah, Dearden and possibly Paix (haven't seen enough of him) is the total lack of a long kicking game. Combine that with Milf, Bhunt and Kodi, and we've basically had no long kicking game since PWall (and I dont even rate his long kicking at all) and no elite kicker since Lockyer!

Watching Clifford last year you can see he has a powerful and sweetly timed long kick... but he'll be plying his trade at Newcastle.

Corey Norman also has an effortlessly long kicking game... but his mentality is garbage when playing anything other than 7.

Taylor has a reasonable long kicking game, but not elite... and we decided to let him walk anyway.

If you dont have a strong long kicking game it is difficult to win the field position battle especially in the new NSWRL where there are no penalties, offsides, 6-agains, etc.

You just cant get to the other end of the field. The strong teams last year had great long kickers that could win field position CS9, Cleary, Moses and Reynolds, even roosters had Flannigan (not the most accurate long kick, but still decent distance wise).

I recall a set where Panthers were stuck in their own 30m and Cleary kicked it to the opposition 30m on the full on 3rd or 4th tackle. The fullback wasnt deep enough and the kick chase tackled the him on the 30m line after he finally recovered the ball... instant field position from a shithouse set

It seems like we've been going with run first/ flashy halves who look good in the juniors because they're bigger and faster... but if you have a Cleary or someone sitting in 7 you can afford to have one of those halves next to them. You cant afford to have two flashy halves with no kicking game
Not sure who it was maybe 1910 , but it was noted that Dearden is a sweet striker of the ball .

I don't know why, but I have a bad feeling in the pit of my gut the Cows will get their man.

The big play in the Broncos book has to be that they raided his Tweed team from 2018/2019- Walsh, Dearden, Piakura and Coates. He can play with his mates and I am sure that's what they would have talked about two years ago.

The big play in the Broncos book has to be that they raided his Tweed team from 2018/2019- Walsh, Dearden, Piakura and Coates. He can play with his mates and I am sure that's what they would have talked about two years ago.
With all four being target that might not be such a big play

Last edited:

This...and some.

Dearden's kicking is pedestrian compared to the likes of the other youngsters in Clifford, Brown or Tevita-Harris.
Twice he was too slow to get his boot to the ball and had air swings while being tackled. This talk of 'composure', over rated me thinks.
Let him develop 2 more years in ISC, Gamble/Croft and Kelly can pretty much do the same or better.
If he does decide to go, maybe a trade for Clifford?

Active Now

• Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.