Denan Kemp - The what If

Mustafur

Mustafur

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Jun 13, 2019
Watched the video from Alpha recently about Denan kemps League story and honestly his career was alot more of a what if then I ever thought, basically starting the game in his late teens from a soccer background and having never played league then within only a few years playing at Suncorp for the Broncos.

Did seem like Bennett was scared with the lack of familiarity he had with the game which stopped him from using him more then he probably should have at the time, then a bunch of very poor career choices that he fell into then a bad injury a coach that didn't want him(Griffin) and a lack of motivation that followed brought his end.

I still remember that try against Parramatta at the death where Locky kicked to what seemed like nowhere and Kempy sprints to the ball and score the match winner. Not only does that take serious speed but great awareness. I have always wondered what would have been if he stayed at the Broncos.

Watched the video from Alpha recently about Denan kemps League story and honestly his career was alot more of a what if then I ever thought, basically starting the game in his late teens from a soccer background and having never played league then within only a few years playing at Suncorp for the Broncos.

Did seem like Bennett was scared with the lack of familiarity he had with the game which stopped him from using him more then he probably should have at the time, then a bunch of very poor career choices that he fell into then a bad injury a coach that didn't want him(Griffin) and a lack of motivation that followed brought his end.

Conveniently left out Finch when naming cohosts.

Good to see Kempy doing well. I can’t listen to much of it before feeling like I should be doing something better with my time but it’s pretty good quality content.

I still remember that try against Parramatta at the death where Locky kicked to what seemed like nowhere and Kempy sprints to the ball and score the match winner. Not only does that take serious speed but great awareness. I have always wondered what would have been if he stayed at the Broncos.

Top 5 in my favourite try's I think. His and Lockyer's understanding was crazy, I wish he'd stayed.

He wasn’t the same after he left Broncs, but I do wonder if that monster hit he copped in one of his last games for us (could have even been his last) from one of the Warriors had a long-term effect on him.

The irony in it was he was playing with them the very next season. Didn’t quite seem the same to me.

Always had a soft spot for him though.

Kemp certainly had his admirers on BHQ at the time. When Karmichael Hunt left to play AFL, there were fans who wanted Denan to play fullback with the idea that he could be the Broncos Slater. It was a thought that was pushed a few times until it became clear that Kemp was really struggling with that rib/lung injury he sustained against his former team.

I will say I thought he was unlucky not to be considered in 2013. The Broncos depth was poor in that position and while Hoffman combined well with Reed down one side of the field, Maranta clearly struggled.

Mind you, the window was very short-lived as Corey Oates would emerge and go down as one of the greatest wingers in club history.

One my best memories, my Dad is a die hard parra supporter and he was marching out the gate even before the video ref came back with try, loved rubbing that one in.

Lockyer coming back from his worst injury too and came up with the matching winning play like the champion that he is

I don't think it would have turned out any differently for Kemp had he stayed on.

I think he was always going to be a one season wonder. He had a purple patch of form in '08, but it was only a matter of time until teams figured him out and when that happened, I don't think he had any more tricks up his sleeve to overcome that.

Kemp certainly had his admirers on BHQ at the time. When Karmichael Hunt left to play AFL, there were fans who wanted Denan to play fullback with the idea that he could be the Broncos Slater. It was a thought that was pushed a few times until it became clear that Kemp was really struggling with that rib/lung injury he sustained against his former team.

I will say I thought he was unlucky not to be considered in 2013. The Broncos depth was poor in that position and while Hoffman combined well with Reed down one side of the field, Maranta clearly struggled.

Mind you, the window was very short-lived as Corey Oates would emerge and go down as one of the greatest wingers in club history.
If JYY didn't get injured and Kemp kicked on we may have never seen Oates on the wing.
Always thought Oates was a backrower coming off the bench who got thrown on the wing and did alright there so that's where he stayed.

If JYY didn't get injured and Kemp kicked on we may have never seen Oates on the wing.
Always thought Oates was a backrower coming off the bench who got thrown on the wing and did alright there so that's where he stayed.
That’s what Oates thought too

I always thought Oates would make a gun centre.

During his last stint here I managed to jag him in a brief conversation on FB. It was the week that he was named on the wing (and BHQ were peaking with excitement) but was replaced by Whitchurch later in the week. He was very professional in his language but he was not happy to be overlooked for, in (roughly) his own words, a player who had mostly been playing second row in the lower grades. IIRC during that most recent stint he never actually made it on to the field for the NRL team, who knows if that is what caused the demotivation, or the demotivation had already set in and he wasn't training or producing the quality that would have earned him the first grade wing spot, but he clearly would have loved one last shot in the top grade. And a lot of people here wanted that for him, too.

I don't think it would have turned out any differently for Kemp had he stayed on.

I think he was always going to be a one season wonder. He had a purple patch of form in '08, but it was only a matter of time until teams figured him out and when that happened, I don't think he had any more tricks up his sleeve to overcome that.
it's more of a questionable ceiling thing, like going from not playing the game to 2 years later being a star Winger in Qcup is basically unheard of in the professional era, the move to Warriors killed all his momentum he could of built on and then his head dropped from what it looked like, to be anything in any professional sport you need to keep the drive.

Active Now

• Dash
  • Xzei
  • Jedhead
  • FACTHUNT
  • theshed
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Broncosgirl
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.