Ditched Foxtel - now what?

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Ditched my Foxtel for this year as they now want $65/m for the Sports HD package and stuff that. Is there any other way to watch the games not broadcast on FTA, or for that matter, all games? I'm happy to pay some money, just not $65/m.

Brett

State of Origin Rep

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
$39/m is a complete rort for just the sports...
That's not just sports.

You also have to pick another pack. The sports pack alone is $29, you can get the doco pack for $10.

But I agree it is a rort. But it's probably the best you're going to get unless you use the NRL Live app. Which I believe is now only available on mobile devices and I think iPad, as well. Their HD stream is also complete garbage.

Or you could get a VPN and use the international service which is cheaper.. I think.

Accept

NRL Player
Sawtell
I wouldn't have thought that $2 a day is too steep to watch every game live. But it's not my pocket book. The good news is that Ch 9 is showing four games a week this year. So if you are into Freddy, Joey, Hadley and Wally, then you will be in your element.

Sproj

International Rep
The NRL's Livepass was actually ALMOST worth paying for as an international fan last year (which I did pay) but with these changes, I'm not giving any more money to this pathetic excuse for a professional organisation. You want to treat your fans like garbage, don't be surprised when you lose subscribers who search for other means elsewhere. And they have no one to blame but themselves bunch of morons.

Foordy

International Rep
The NRL's Livepass was actually ALMOST worth paying for as an international fan last year (which I did pay) but with these changes, I'm not giving any more money to this pathetic excuse for a professional organisation. You want to treat your fans like garbage, don't be surprised when you lose subscribers who search for other means elsewhere. And they have no one to blame but themselves bunch of morons.
what pisses me off the most is the fact that you have to watch live games on your phone or Tablet (last year didn't work on PC).

and I hate trying to watch footy on the mobile

Sproj

International Rep
what pisses me off the most is the fact that you have to watch live games on your phone or Tablet (last year didn't work on PC).

and I hate trying to watch footy on the mobile
Internationally, the live games worked mostly well but only on the PC, mobile and tablet was useless. Now, they've taken the PC option away, so literally taken away the only legitimate option in some (perhaps most) countries so they are once again shooting themselves in the foot.

Brett

State of Origin Rep
I mean, I can afford $65/m, but when I first got the deal last year, it was $30/m, which is reasonable. In the last 12 months they put it from $30/m to $65/m, which is just fucking ludicrous. The NRL is literally the only reason I had Foxtel, so I just made the decision to cut it. I feel like they're taking the piss.

It's 2018 - Why some company doesn't offer the NRL (as an exclusive) to punters to stream just like Netflix, for a fee of say $10/m, is absolutely beyond me. I can only assume it's because of a bunch of boring politics involved, but it just fucks the fans. I'm happy to pay to watch the NRL and stream it, but it has to be reasonable.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
I mean, I can afford $65/m, but when I first got the deal last year, it was $30/m, which is reasonable. In the last 12 months they put it from $30/m to $65/m, which is just fucking ludicrous. The NRL is literally the only reason I had Foxtel, so I just made the decision to cut it. I feel like they're taking the piss.

It's 2018 - Why some company doesn't offer the NRL (as an exclusive) to punters to stream just like Netflix, for a fee of say $10/m, is absolutely beyond me. I can only assume it's because of a bunch of boring politics involved, but it just fucks the fans. I'm happy to pay to watch the NRL and stream it, but it has to be reasonable.
Some company did exactly that. That company is called Telstra.

Now you understand why the options that are available suck. Anything Telstra touches is useless.

john1420

NRL Player
As an Adelaide based Bronco fan since 93, I have had Foxtel since.....you guessed it, 93

If it were not for sports, I could ditch it, but I love the Broncos (and also follow MotoGP and WSBK) so for me the $65 is just what I have to pay

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Some company did exactly that. That company is called Telstra.

Now you understand why the options that are available suck. Anything Telstra touches is useless.
Well, I can't stream the NRL to my home computer and watch the games I want, so I don't see the point in whatever they have going. Being able to watch games as a Telstra customer on a 7" screen on a phone or iPad is unacceptable.

Nashy

International Captain
Brisbane
Well, I can't stream the NRL to my home computer and watch the games I want, so I don't see the point in whatever they have going. Being able to watch games as a Telstra customer on a 7" screen on a phone or iPad is unacceptable.
Certainly preaching to the choir. This particular choir just prefer to keep being bent over by Telstra/Foxtel because he's an idiot.

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
I ditched Foxtel cable for the off-season and have been running Foxtel Now over summer. I dgaf about summer sports (except cricket, which is on FTA), so at $15 it was a no-brainer. Does anybody have experience with the quality of NRL coverage on Now?

Tossing up whether to stick with it at $44 a month for "HD" rather than going back to the $65 a month cable connection for the footy season.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter