Ditched Foxtel - now what?

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
I ditched Foxtel cable for the off-season and have been running Foxtel Now over summer. I dgaf about summer sports (except cricket, which is on FTA), so at $15 it was a no-brainer. Does anybody have experience with the quality of NRL coverage on Now?

Tossing up whether to stick with it at $44 a month for "HD" rather than going back to the $65 a month cable connection for the footy season.
If that $65 a month comes with the HD package and that's important to you, stick with that.

If it's not, go with Foxtel Now. As long as you have a good internet connection then it's perfectly fine. The quality is good.

Brett

State of Origin Rep
Wait, what is Foxtel Now? Please tell me it's an app I can subscribe to and watch NRL through?

Dash

NRL Player
Brisbane
If that $65 a month comes with the HD package and that's important to you, stick with that.

If it's not, go with Foxtel Now. As long as you have a good internet connection then it's perfectly fine. The quality is good.
Yeah, it's $55 for sports plus $10 for the HD upgrade. Plus another $20 so I can watch Westworld etc, so it's really $85 vs $44 as the premium drama channels are included in the base Now package.

Think I'll give it a go for the first month of the season. If it's a shitty viewing experience I'll suck it up and get the real thing back.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
Yeah, it's $55 for sports plus $10 for the HD upgrade. Plus another $20 so I can watch Westworld etc, so it's really $85 vs $44 as the premium drama channels are included in the base Now package.

Think I'll give it a go for the first month of the season. If it's a shitty viewing experience I'll suck it up and get the real thing back.
In my experience, it was pretty good.

I didn't care about HD and just wanted the cheapest option available where I could stream it on my TV. Quality of the feed, it's quite good. It's very clear, it's just not full HD like you get with the cable option.

Drop outs, the only time I got drop outs is when my internet was playing up. Apart from that, didn't have any issues.

As long as your internet connection is good, it will be fine.

The good thing is, you can trial it for 2 weeks and cancel without paying a cent. Unless you have used it before.. If you have used it on say a smart TV in the past, it will detect that and you won't qualify for the free trial.

There were only three things wrong with it.

1. The picture quality wasn't as good as you would get on HD with the cable option.
2. You can't record games. You can pause, rewind and fast forward, though.
3. The feed was delayed by about 30 seconds. So I would avoid the live chat thread if you're watching the game on Foxtel Now.

As I said, if HD is important to you, fork out for cable. If it's not, then Foxtel Now is the way to go.

john1420

NRL Player
Also if recording games is important to you, pay for cable

I can rarely watch games live so it's very important for me to record them and watch them a bit later with my son

Cable for me is the only way to go, and I can drop the sports channels over the off season which reduces the yearly cost of Fox

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Yep ditched Foxtel Cable this week as well. Can’t justify the $65 a month when my shiftwork means I miss half the games anyway...

Ch.9 and the NRL Live App will have to suffice...

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Also if recording games is important to you, pay for cable

I can rarely watch games live so it's very important for me to record them and watch them a bit later with my son

Cable for me is the only way to go, and I can drop the sports channels over the off season which reduces the yearly cost of Fox
...and this is why "I love my Foxtel" John. For the flexibility, quality and most of all, the reliability of Foxtel ....... you gotta expect to pay a little somethin'.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
You don't record?
I did but the pathetic HDR included on the Foxtel is only 100GB or something but it runs out very quickly when you only record HD programs.

Plus I’m a weak man... I HAVE to know the scores and then that ruins some games for me.

Now I’ll be looking into acquiring a decent HDR.

Super Freak

International Captain
Brisbane
With the new Fox League channel, you don't need to record anymore.

They replay the games multiple times throughout the week. More than what they used to do on the original Fox Sports channel.

Jason Simmons

NRL Player
Side-stepped paying for Foxtel. Flicked my brother my spare Netflix log-in and he replied with his spare Foxtel Now log-in.

Had it for a week or so now and it’s running via my temporary (hopefully) Vivid 4G Fixed Wireless Broadband internet plan just fine.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter