Ditched Foxtel - now what?

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Brett, Jan 21, 2018.

If that $65 a month comes with the HD package and that's important to you, stick with that.

If it's not, go with Foxtel Now. As long as you have a good internet connection then it's perfectly fine. The quality is good.

1. Brett

Brett

Wait, what is Foxtel Now? Please tell me it's an app I can subscribe to and watch NRL through?

2. I gave you the link for it.

It's a service you can use on your phone, computer, TV and even gaming consoles.

3. Brett

Brett

Ah I see, my bad. $39/m is still taking the piss but. Maybe I can't be pleased.

4. $10 for 1440 Minutes + all the other crap league shows a week isn't bad really.

5. mrslong

mrslong State of Origin Rep

You can negotiate with Foxtel to get a better deal, tell them to throw in all the other channels and you'll stay or something.

Nashy likes this.
  6. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    Yeah, it's $55 for sports plus $10 for the HD upgrade. Plus another $20 so I can watch Westworld etc, so it's really $85 vs $44 as the premium drama channels are included in the base Now package.

Think I'll give it a go for the first month of the season. If it's a shitty viewing experience I'll suck it up and get the real thing back.

7. Sproj

Sproj

Of just go to the pub and spend $65 a month on drinks.

8. Dash

Dash NRL Player

Brisbane
    And what do you do after halftime of round 1? :notsureifserious:

Porthoz and Sproj like this.
  9. In my experience, it was pretty good.

I didn't care about HD and just wanted the cheapest option available where I could stream it on my TV. Quality of the feed, it's quite good. It's very clear, it's just not full HD like you get with the cable option.

Drop outs, the only time I got drop outs is when my internet was playing up. Apart from that, didn't have any issues.

As long as your internet connection is good, it will be fine.

The good thing is, you can trial it for 2 weeks and cancel without paying a cent. Unless you have used it before.. If you have used it on say a smart TV in the past, it will detect that and you won't qualify for the free trial.

There were only three things wrong with it.

1. The picture quality wasn't as good as you would get on HD with the cable option.
    2. You can't record games. You can pause, rewind and fast forward, though.
    3. The feed was delayed by about 30 seconds. So I would avoid the live chat thread if you're watching the game on Foxtel Now.

As I said, if HD is important to you, fork out for cable. If it's not, then Foxtel Now is the way to go.

Morkel likes this.
  10. Also if recording games is important to you, pay for cable

I can rarely watch games live so it's very important for me to record them and watch them a bit later with my son

Cable for me is the only way to go, and I can drop the sports channels over the off season which reduces the yearly cost of Fox

11. Yep ditched Foxtel Cable this week as well. Can’t justify the $65 a month when my shiftwork means I miss half the games anyway...

Ch.9 and the NRL Live App will have to suffice...

12. ...and this is why "I love my Foxtel" John. For the flexibility, quality and most of all, the reliability of Foxtel ....... you gotta expect to pay a little somethin'.

Accept and john1420 like this.
  13. You don't record?

14. roo-ted

roo-ted NRL Player

Can't you record free to air TV to a hard drive?

15. I did but the pathetic HDR included on the Foxtel is only 100GB or something but it runs out very quickly when you only record HD programs.

Plus I’m a weak man... I HAVE to know the scores and then that ruins some games for me.

Now I’ll be looking into acquiring a decent HDR.

16. I guess....but it's FTA, why bother?

Nashy likes this.
  17. Because they don’t repeat the games on FTA...

18. With the new Fox League channel, you don't need to record anymore.

They replay the games multiple times throughout the week. More than what they used to do on the original Fox Sports channel.

Side-stepped paying for Foxtel. Flicked my brother my spare Netflix log-in and he replied with his spare Foxtel Now log-in.

Had it for a week or so now and it’s running via my temporary (hopefully) Vivid 4G Fixed Wireless Broadband internet plan just fine.