VOTE Do you regret Bennett's (second) departure?

Do you regret Bennett leaving (again)?

• Yes

Votes: 25 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 66 72.5%

• Total voters
I bleed Maroon

I bleed Maroon

International Rep
Apr 17, 2013
I voted no, because I still agree with the sentiment that the Broncos needed to move on from Wayne's dominance over the club, which we clearly failed to do the first time. Still, considering how the team is currently going as compared to Souths who while they might have more losses than wins, are still inside the 8, as opposed to us, glued to the bottom 4.

Wayne might still command enough respect from his players that they put it week in week out (most of the time) but he clearly has never taken an interest in preparing any club he has departed from for whoever is taking over for him. He left us to our devices with Henjak, he left the Dragons to their devices to take the payday at the Knights, and boy oh boy did he not give a shit about Newcastle after he left.

I voted no, we just chose the wrong coach. We just had a side that’s not great on paper flog us in the wet and we could have had their coach!!!! “Salt enters wound”

Last edited:
Hell no... he had to go.

Did the board completely **** it up yes... and just for reference below were my original thoughts if the board were to let Bennett go before 2019, which I made before Bennett had been released... and unfortunately it seems to have come to fruition

Posted September 13 2018
I think sacking Bennett before 2019 would be a marketing disaster.

Sacking him in the off season would deny him and more importantly the fans the chance to say goodbye to a legend of the club (something the broncos as a brand could milk through all of 2019 purely from a business perspective), it would also create backlash in the playing group, the fans and will be a serious blackspot on our history for years to come.

Not to mention that we are faaaar too late in the piece to get the coach we want correctly vetted.

We are heading into a premiership window so the decision on the next coach is extremely important especially when considering the current premiership drought... a rushed decision could be very damaging

Last edited:
Wayne had to go but his exit was definitely handled poorly by the club, the players liked Wayne and hated the way his sacking was handled and now aren't even remotely interested in the new coach our how he runs the show because of the sacking.

It would also seem the new coach is also not up to handling this rabbles poor attitude.

Last edited:
He should have been given his extra year. He’d be finishing up this season and still involved in the club. We would be in a far stronger position moving forward.

At this stage we’re spoon contenders with no idea who ourCEO or head coach will be next year.

No we just picked the wrong replacement. Can't help but think we should've gone for Madge. At least he would drop some *****

The way it was handled was when this club lost its aura completely. He had to go but it didn’t have to go down the way it did. I wanted Madge or anyone that was a tough but, anyone could see the club needed a hard nut but was happy enough with a new direction in Seibold.

When he whinged about the kids, etc, that was when I started to worry, in a stand off of who would blink first, he totally started shaking and sweating. If he couldn’t handle that situation, I feared how he would handle the tough decisions to come bring at the helm of the face of Brisbane.

He had gotten rid of some of the deadwood, I’ll give him that but he can’t blame anyone but himself for lacking the guts to drop the undroppables and not bringing in any solid first graders in the interim.

I voted yes, but thats more down to the way it was handled rather than us moving on. We didnt do it in the right way.

I voted no, because I still agree with the sentiment that the Broncos needed to move on from Wayne's dominance over the club, which we clearly failed to do the first time. Still, considering how the team is currently going as compared to Souths who while they might have more losses than wins, are still inside the 8, as opposed to us, glued to the bottom 4.

Wayne might still command enough respect from his players that they put it week in week out (most of the time) but he clearly has never taken an interest in preparing any club he has departed from for whoever is taking over for him. He left us to our devices with Henjak, he left the Dragons to their devices to take the payday at the Knights, and boy oh boy did he not give a shit about Newcastle after he left.

The bit in bold is interesting when you look back at it this time around. He was clearly trying to have a solid succession plan in place. He was approving of Bellamy in the first place, then he was positioning Jason Demitriou when that fell through. Still not sure though why Bennett should have to be responsiible anyway for appointing his successor.

Dont agree he left us to our own devices with Henjak either. Cullen had a big hand in pushing Wayne out. Appointing Henjak was, Like Seibs, down to the board. They made the choice, not Wayne. When you look at it, even great coaches in other sports dont always appoint their successor. Sir Alex Ferguson for years wanted David Moyes to replace him at Man United, and the decision set them back years. The Board make the decisions, not the former coaches.

St George i cant really say how he left them tbh, dont know enough about it, but Newcastle had become a mess down to what Tinkler did there more than what Bennett did.

The way it was handled was when this club lost its aura completely. He had to go but it didn’t have to go down the way it did. I wanted Madge or anyone that was a tough but, anyone could see the club needed a hard nut but was happy enough with a new direction in Seibold.

When he whinged about the kids, etc, that was when I started to worry, in a stand off of who would blink first, he totally started shaking and sweating. If he couldn’t handle that situation, I feared how he would handle the tough decisions to come bring at the helm of the face of Brisbane.

He had gotten rid of some of the deadwood, I’ll give him that but he can’t blame anyone but himself for lacking the guts to drop the undroppables and not bringing in any solid first graders in the interim.
Yeah that whinge was alarm bells

Unread

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • kiwibronco
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.