NEWS Dodgy Deal: Broncos accused of deception by Schoolboys captain

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
The Brisbane Broncos' pre-season has just kicked off, but the club is already facing some unwanted attention, accused of breaking promises in a contract dispute with one of the game's brightest young talents.

Australian Schoolboys Captain Karl Oloapu is at the centre of a dispute with the club and has refused to turn up to training, with reports indicating he may already be fielding interest from Super Rugby and the Super League.

Speaking with WWOS, Oloapu has accused the Broncos of pressuring him into signing a contract and making guarantees they clearly can't deliver on.

“My dream for as long as I can remember has been to play NRL and I've shed a lot of tears over how things have ended up – probably too many tears,” Oloapu told WWOS.

“I was between managers when I signed with the Broncos. I only went to see them with my older brother Joe for advice.

“They gave me a document that was more than 60 pages long and told me to sign it.

“I tried to read and understand it all in 30 minutes, but without a manager or legal advice it was very hard.

“The club told me I'd be in the Top 30 full-time players next year and that I'd be playing my preferred position of five-eighth and that I'd meet Kevin Walters, so I was happy.

“They gave me a chicken sandwich and that was it, we were shown the door. It didn't feel right.

“Since then I have been told I'm not a part of the full-time squad and they want me play at lock or hooker and change the shape of my body.

“I've never met Kevin and barely heard from the club. When my new manager asked to see their letter of offer to me, the club told him they'd lost it. How does that happen?”

The Broncos have refuted the claims and have since asserted they won't be releasing Oloapu from his contract.

“The club has been working with Karl's new management in recent months regarding this matter,” Broncos chief Dave Donaghy said.

“Earlier this year Karl signed a three-year contract with the Broncos, and the club will not be releasing Karl from his contract.”

ZeroTackle

WTF indeed. Pretty poor management from Kev to not have met with him like a fucking year ago. I'd have thought it's basic man management to keep your future stars in the loop and feeling important.

That being said, Karl sounds like a mega Sook so a release is probably a good idea but only the club knows the real story. If they really gave a 17 year old a 60 page contract and told him to sign it with no legal rep, they should do the honourable thing and release him.

WTF indeed. Pretty poor management from Kev to not have met with him like a fucking year ago. I'd have thought it's basic man management to keep your future stars in the loop and feeling important.

That being said, Karl sounds like a mega Sook so a release is probably a good idea but only the club knows the real story. If they really gave a 17 year old a 60 page contract and told him to sign it with no legal rep, they should do the honourable thing and release him.

Your head coach doesn't have the time to meet every Year 11 coming through the club.

Your head coach doesn't have the time to meet every Year 11 coming through the club.
There's a reason I used the words future stars.

If Kev doesn't have the time to meet 17 year old kids we rate highly enough to be handing 3 year deals too, he's in the wrong job.

WTF? Donuts says they they have been working with "Karl's new management in recent months regarding this matter." Shouldn't have been hard to introduce him to Kevvie. But there's no way a kid his age would've been promised top 30 and five eighth immediately.

Karl doesn't say NRL 6 just 6 not 13.

He was 6 for Norths this year and 13 for Queensland.

There's a reason I used the words future stars.

If Kev doesn't have the time to meet 17 year old kids we rate highly enough to be handing 3 year deals too, he's in the wrong job.

He was 16 12 months ago.

How does he feel about 13?

Clearly not much reading those quotes but I thought he was excellent for Queensland at 13. His try and passing in the final against NSW were outstanding- Qld was down 18-6 until he got moving.

Clearly not much reading those quotes but I thought he was excellent for Queensland at 13. His try and passing in the final against NSW were outstanding- Qld was down 18-6 until he got moving.
Seems to have the build for it

I mean surely he has time for a coffee and see what the kid is all about? It’s not like Kev got us to the finals, he had spare time on his hands.

How do you even know Kevvie was told? Academy sign a year 11 up and say you'll get to work with Kevvie- they could have got outside that meeting and never even told him.

Kevvie can't micromanage every 13-year-old through to Reynolds. That's why you have people in those positions who you meet with, and they communicate that to you.

Going off based on the word of an angry 17-year-old is a bit rash in my opinion.

How do you even know Kevvie was told? Academy sign a year 11 up and say you'll get to work with Kevvie- they could have got outside that meeting and never even told him.

Kevvie can't micromanage every 13-year-old through to Reynolds. That's why you have people in those positions who you meet with, and they communicate that to you.

Going off based on the word of an angry 17-year-old is a bit rash in my opinion.
I don’t know. I guess I’m just jaded by how the club went about getting walker, I know it’s a different management now but until I see otherwise, I’ll be suspicious.

This story, honestly, I don't know what to make of it, especially the Kevvie vector.

This forum has known Karl's name for some time, including that Wayne has made a play at him. The reason we know his name is because we pay attention to outstanding playmakers at schoolboy level. IIRC, his name firmed in the wake of losing Jye Grey to the Rabbitohs, on the back of losing Walker to the Roosters, admist speculation we'd lose Blake Mozer. Meanwhile, we took a bite out of Tom Dearden and spat him out.

Only a few weeks ago Karl shared the Justin Hodges medal (player of the year) in the - get this - Alfie Langer Cup.

The notion that our head coach, and Alfie himself, wouldn't be interested enough to make time to assure this kid he has a future, and that it requires some kind of apprenticeship, is frankly absurd, and if true, deeply troubling. Nurturing the future of the club, in particular identifying the playmakers who'll ultimately shape your entire structures is not only in the coach's best interest, the club's best interest, but is what lays the foundation for a kid's connection to the club.

He should've met Kevvie, Alfie, Reyno, Ezra and anyone else who could give him tips on how to get where he's wanting to go.

I am completely disgusted by this, but don't know where to aim my disgust: the kid for taking it to the media, or the club, for letting it fester to this point. Either way, Kevvie, lift your fucking game. You could have nipped this shit in the bud ages ago.

And take a selfie. Be the kid's hero. It might just pay off.

Image0

Found this in an article by Andrew Dawson, from two weeks ago:

"Although he is contracted to the Brisbane Broncos as a development player and will be a top 30 squad member by 2024, Oloapu was seeking a release to be put back on the open market."​

Active Now

• Battler
  • Dash
  • theshed
  • Fozz
  • Mighty Bronx
  • Harry Sack
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Thelmus
  • Lurker
  • Xzei
  • Sproj
  • Financeguy
  • Aldo
  • Broncorob
  • winslow_wong
  • Fitzy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.