Dolphins turn a leaf . Med Cannabis sponsorship !!

Big Del

Big Del

NRL Captain
Apr 22, 2017
Dolphins will be sponsored by Eternaleaf Medical Cannabis company .
Heard this today on Bludging on the blindside .

Joint venture: Dolphins set for historic cannabis sponsorship​

The Dolphins are ready to go to new highs in the NRL, as they become the first Australian sporting franchise to partner with a medicinal cannabis company.

The Dolphins have become the first NRL team to adopt a medicinal cannabis company as a sponsor, with the expansion club to sport the Alternaleaf brand on the front of their jersey this season.

And it comes after NRL Immortal Andrew Johns previously called on the federal government to fund research into the use of medicinal cannabis to treat concussion and head trauma in sport.

Dolphins coach Wayne Bennett has been a long-time supporter of the NRL’s illicit drugs policy and the ongoing way against doping and drug use in sport, which makes the partnership seem unusual on the surface.

Read full report

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/n...a-sponsor-sponsorship-medical-concussion.html

Medicinal marijuana primarily focuses on the use of products containing cannabidiol, which are not smoked, do not deliver a high and provide a range of health benefits for athletes including potential treatment for the symptoms of concussion.

These products do not contain tetrahydrocannabinol, which is the active ingredient in the varieties of cannabis that get the user stoned.

The effects of head knocks on past and present players - including the onset of the deadly brain condition chronic traumatic encephalopathy - are a massive issue for the code and other contact sports around the world.

The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) removed CBD from its prohibited substance list in 2017 and the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) followed suit.

CBD contains plant compounds called cannabinoids capable of interacting with the human endocannabinoid system (ECS) and deliver benefits including appetite control, pain response, sleep patterns and inflammation response.

THC, the active ingredient in recreational marijuana, is still prohibited and all CBD products must contain no more than 0.02 per cent so users experience no mind-altering effects.

Athletes can use prescription cannabis with a higher THC reading, but they would require an exemption from WADA and ASADA.

Some famous athletes who have used CBD during their career include heavyweight champion Mike Tyson, UFC fighter Nate Diaz, NBA star Klay Thompson and USA football star Megan Rapinoe.

NRL superstar Johns also turned to the product after suffering epileptic episodes in retirement. Since he was directed to CBD by Levin Health he hasn't suffered a seizure since.

'It's been a life-changer,' Johns said in 2023.

'I haven't felt this sort of clarity, nor has my body felt this good, in many years. I'm seizure free.

'I still take traditional medicine for it, but I also take the CBD oil, which I spoke to my professor about and he was all for it.
Johns is on the Levin Health advisory board, alongside other sporting greats, including basketballer Lauren Jackson, AFL coaches Alastair Clarkson and Damien Hardwick, jockey Damien Oliver and hockey champion Jenn Morris.

The company made a submission to the federal senate calling for the use of cannabinoids to be explored as a treatment option for concussion in sport.

Several other high-profile names in sport have been associated with CBD use as well.

Former three-time premiership winning Richmond coach Hardwick use medicinal cannabis to manage pain from his football career while former Wallaby Drew Mitchell uses it to treat anxiety.

Dolphins CEO Terry Reader said Alternaleaf matched well with the NRL's newest brand.

'We are very happy to enter into a partnership with a company like Alternaleaf that has a strong commitment to health and wellbeing,' he said.

'We welcome Alternaleaf to the Dolphins' sponsorship family and look forward to working with them to assist to continue to grow their brand in the Australian health landscape.'

They all looking pretty stoned out there today.
THC, the active ingredient in recreational marijuana, is still prohibited and all CBD products must contain no more than 0.02 per cent so users experience no mind-altering effects.

Yeah it was just a joke

So if I join their membership do I get anything for free?

Yeah Right Smile GIF by Apple TV

Dolphins might be better served playing at the Redcliffe ground against out of town teams. It's a smaller ground, they'll pack it in and I can imagine it would be quite a hostile environment for travelling teams.

Compare that to playing at a half full Suncorp, which almost any team would enjoy playing at.

Active Now

• Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • broncoscope
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Midean
  • sooticus
  • Big Del
  • Mister Wright
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Socnorb
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Bucking Beads
  • Old Mate
  • Tmac
  • Fatboy
  • simplythebest
  • Lozza
  • achievedrap
... and 9 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.