E-Cigs / Vape thread

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
So, I keep falling on and off the wagon with Ciggis and I'm over spending a fortune on something that's killing me. I've smoked for 23 years and that's probably at about a pack of 30 a day on average, sometimes more and sometimes less. To be perfectly honest, I'm worried that I'm just as addicted to the smokey bight at the back of my throat as I am to the nicotine... I smoke the 12mg strength, though its hard to know as I've been smoking rollies for a good 12 years and they haven't listed these details forever. Actually, Port Royal and Champion Ruby may even be 16mg...

After talking about it in the "right to bag out" thread with Nashy Nashy and Renegade, I decided to make this thread so I can learn off you vape veterans as the industry seems pretty full on with terminology, hardware options and juice/nicotine additives, much less supplier and review sites...

Apparently Kimlo broncospwn and @Harry Sack also vape with the latter being a juice slut ;)

Nashy's suggestions thus far are the Vaporesso Revenger Mini and to order juice/nico (in small quantities for starters in case I don't like the taste) from Vapoureyes.co.nz. Then, if I'm onboard, buy the nicotine from the US in larger quantities to save cash.

What's your recommendations on starting up?

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
With the throat hit. It is the hardest thing to get used to. When I started vaping, I was smoking for a good 3 months, although it dropped to around 2 a day from 30. Then one day I just thought, nah, it's shit.

More PG = Harsher throat hit

I would start with 50/50 PG/VG, and then slowly work it up to 30/70 PG/VG. More PG also = more flavour. More VG = more cloud.

Nashy

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Oh also, nicotine strength. What strength smokes? I used to run 8MG smokes, and started vaping on 6, and am currently at 3mg.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Oh also, nicotine strength. What strength smokes? I used to run 8MG smokes, and started vaping on 6, and am currently at 3mg.
12mg I think.

PG (Propylene Glycol) vs. VG (Vegetable Glycerin). From what I've just read, it seems they are both safe(ish) but like you say, PG will likely give a throatier hit. Also, the vape hardware requires a certain mix % of each or a straight mix of either so I'll make sure to ask at the shop.

Renegade

NRL Captain
Firstly, congrats on trying to give up the cigs and move to a vape. Frankly, I quit because it is just far too expensive to smoke, the health should be the main priority but the hip pocket is for mine. All the same, it's not an easy thing to do so you're making the right choice.

I totally get you when you say you miss the throat sensation, but you'll find over time you don't actually miss it at all - it's just conditioned response mechanism that you've tied into the actual habit itself. I had a couple of cigs the other night after 3 months straight on being on the vape and you feel like absolute shit afterwards, and your throat burns like hell - it's not that nice afterall once you've fully cut the cord.

I'm not that much of a connoisseur when it comes to vaping as I like things to be simple - get it, put in juice, vape, get nicotine, be happy. I bought my Vaporesso Tarot Nano from Sam's Smokes and I basically went into them and said look I just want to vape, I'm not interested in all the fancy mods and so on, I just want a basic device that works well and does what I want it to do.

So my setup is, as mentioned in the other, the aforementioned device with .3ohm coils (you can get varying levels of coils based on the wattage you want to smoke at and the liquid as well) and with a 70/30 VG/PG mix. The VG is better for you as it's just vegetable glycerin base, but it's a bit thicker than PG and so your coils will generally go quicker than if you had a higher PG ratio - having said that, coils will last 2-3 weeks anyway before you have to replace them.

How do you know when you have to replace a coil? When it starts tasting like burning, or you start hearing a bit of gurgle in the tank (not burning the liquid properly), or when you aren't getting flavoursome hits anymore. Again, it's an experience thing, you might think the coil is ok but when you replace it with a new one it's like a rush of flavour again. When you put in a new coil, you put a few drops of liquid directly into it and free/dry burn it (as in don't inhale, just hold the button, let it burn and blow into the tip to expel the vapour) for a minute or two (not consecutively, but 10 seconds here, 10 seconds there) as it will allow the wick to take on the juice. If you don't do this your first few hits will taste like burnt paper - not nice.

As for flavours, you can get all sorts and I mean all sorts. From dessert flavoured ones, to coffee, to fruit, to tobacco or cigar flavoured ones (this one might be up your alley initially). Again, it's a bit of a experience thing, try and couple and see what your palate prefers. You can buy them overseas with nicotine in them, or you can buy the flavours locally and syringe in your own nicotine - I prefer the latter as while it's slightly more effort, I find the flavours to be better and you know it's fresh

Some of them come with wall chargers but most of them are done via USB which again is great for anyone that sits in front of a computer, you go outside and use it, bring it back in and throw it on the charge. Battery life is essentially how long is a piece of string? If you were pumping hard non stop for 30-45mins you'd probably use 3/4 of your battery, but 10mins here and there won't dent it too much. it's best to just put it on the charge when not in use, and also to turn it off when not in use. I updated the firmware (I know!) on mine a few weeks ago and that has given it a bit more battery life, I'm sure if you really wanted to get into the nitty gritty you could **** with the voltages on it but as I said at the start, I have absolutely no interest in it.

Umm.. i think that's basically it. The cost will be initially expensive when you buy the flavours and the e cig (and the nic if you buy that separately), but after the initial hit you will save shitloads.

if you have any questions, fire away and I (or the other lads here) will do our best to answer them.

Renegade

NRL Captain
Also - I think the key IMO is to buy a pack of smokes, and use the vape in conjunction initially. Kinda like weening yourself off them. Vape more than you smoke, eventually like Nashy Nashy said, you'll say **** this smoking shit, it tastes like crap compared to vaping.

BE CONSISTENT.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
I updated the firmware (I know!) on mine a few weeks ago and that has given it a bit more battery life,
Haha! That's bloody ridiculous! I can see me getting right into this as I'm a hardware nerd...

My main stumbling block, it seems, is getting the nicotine which isn't available here in australia, so I'll need to order that online ASAP. I might just do as Nashy Nashy suggests and order a smallish premix from NZ before outlaying for a Litre bottle from US.

Ciggi flavour might be a good start, but I might get a vanilla one as well as I'm a sucker for it generally.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
My next concern is, at least with ciggis I know how many I'm having a day and when I'm increasing or decreasing my nicotine intake (and habit). How do you know with a tank/liquid?

I'm like a dog in that I'll eat whatever is put in my bowl, rather than knowing how much is too much...

EDIT, BTW thanks so much Renegade for that massive writeup! And of course Nashy Nashy for your endless help on here and FB messenger.

Last edited:

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Just ordered 3 60ml bottles of 12mg pre-mixed liquid. 2 x tobacco flavours and 1 x chocolate eclair flavour. Pretty keen to try the cheesecake one next too. They should be here by the time I get back from Bris next week with the Vape kit.

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
This might be handy! I'll see how I go with the pre-mix stuff and then I'll hit you up. What have you got brand/quantity/price?
Not for sale mate, just that I have like 800mls of the stuff that I absolutely won't get through before it expires. Would happily give you 200 mls or so, which is a helluva lot more than it sounds. It's 100% PG 48mg nicotine. That would give you about a litre at 12mg mix. I personally mix my vape juice to 1.5mg, very light nic. 12mg vaping nic is harsh as ****, I wouldn't recommend above 6 really, even heavy smokers I know of didn't need more than that to start.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Not for sale mate, just that I have like 800mls of the stuff that I absolutely won't get through before it expires. Would happily give you 200 mls or so, which is a helluva lot more than it sounds. It's 100% PG 48mg nicotine. That would give you about a litre at 12mg mix. I personally mix my vape juice to 1.5mg, very light nic. 12mg vaping nic is harsh as ****, I wouldn't recommend above 6 really, even heavy smokers I know of didn't need more than that to start.
Uh-oh... I may have ordered liquid that's too strong. I read all the info on Vapour Eyes website regarding strength and thought I was on track...

Oh and do you keep it in the freezer? Maybe that will extend the life?

Kimlo

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Uh-oh... I may have ordered liquid that's too strong. I read all the info on Vapour Eyes website regarding strength and thought I was on track...

Oh and do you keep it in the freezer? Maybe that will extend the life?
Yeah it's in the freezer from day 1. It'll probably last years, but I'm looking to quit really soon. I've been vaping for 3 years, time to try to get off that too.

Renegade

NRL Captain
My next concern is, at least with ciggis I know how many I'm having a day and when I'm increasing or decreasing my nicotine intake (and habit). How do you know with a tank/liquid?

I'm like a dog in that I'll eat whatever is put in my bowl, rather than knowing how much is too much...

EDIT, BTW thanks so much Renegade for that massive writeup! And of course Nashy Nashy for your endless help on here and FB messenger.
it's not the nicotine that you need to be concerned with in cigs, its obviously all the other stuff. nicotine, whilst an addictive substance, isn't actually that bad for you. so you can really vape as much as you like and you won't have any real detriments because you're not getting all the other shit that you get with cigs

a 60ml bottle generally lasts me a week or so, so I guess I'd vape about 10ml a day, and I vape a fair bit during the day.

OH, also - when you transition full time to vaping, you will cough up a lot of shit in the first 2-3 weeks - that is entirely normal, it is your lungs cleaning themselves and removing all the tar and shit that was embedded in your sacs. don't be alarmed when it occurs, i never really got a lot of phlegm when i smoked for some reason but when i transitioned i coughed up obscene amounts of brown shit, but it does eventually subside.

Renegade

NRL Captain
Yeah it's in the freezer from day 1. It'll probably last years, but I'm looking to quit really soon. I've been vaping for 3 years, time to try to get off that too.
I read that it's better to keep it at room temp - you just shake it up when you wanna syringe some in to make sure its mixed properly.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
it's not the nicotine that you need to be concerned with in cigs, its obviously all the other stuff. nicotine, whilst an addictive substance, isn't actually that bad for you. so you can really vape as much as you like and you won't have any real detriments because you're not getting all the other shit that you get with cigs

a 60ml bottle generally lasts me a week or so, so I guess I'd vape about 10ml a day, and I vape a fair bit during the day.

OH, also - when you transition full time to vaping, you will cough up a lot of shit in the first 2-3 weeks - that is entirely normal, it is your lungs cleaning themselves and removing all the tar and shit that was embedded in your sacs. don't be alarmed when it occurs, i never really got a lot of phlegm when i smoked for some reason but when i transitioned i coughed up obscene amounts of brown shit, but it does eventually subside.
Okay, that makes sense. In terms of weaning off nicotine, I can take it slow but I’d like to not increase my dependency.

Yeah, I’ve gone through the phlegm thing a number of times when I’ve quit cigs in the past. Unbelievable amounts. Thanks for reminding me so I don’t confuse that with the vaping.

Renegade

NRL Captain
Okay, that makes sense. In terms of weaning off nicotine, I can take it slow but I’d like to not increase my dependency.

Yeah, I’ve gone through the phlegm thing a number of times when I’ve quit cigs in the past. Unbelievable amounts. Thanks for reminding me so I don’t confuse that with the vaping.
yeah i mean if you want to ween off nicotine as well, just do it like anything I suppose - start with your normal amount equiv to what you smoke, then after a few months drop down a level and so on.

soup

State of Origin Rep
T’ba
Just emailed vapour eyes and they are happy to modify the order down to 6mg mixes. In fact, they recommended it too. Thanks for the heads up Kimlo broncospwn That may have turned me off from the get go.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter