International Rep
Contributor
Aug 25, 2018
Electric backrower David Fifita
declares he wants to stay with the Broncos

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
August 31, 2019 3:07pm
ort/nrl/teams/broncos/electric-backrower-david-fifita-declares-he-wants-to-stay-with-the-broncos/news-story/fc05340a1fbd46fb3689dd8220aae4f5[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:
Electric backrower David Fifita
declares he wants to stay with the Broncos

Peter Badel,
The Courier-Mail
August 31, 2019 3:07pm

Monster teenager David Fifita has declared his heart is with the Broncos in the strongest sign yet the Queensland Origin sensation will shun potential $1 million offers to stay loyal to Brisbane.` The Broncos will table a formal contract extension for Fifita this week in the wake of the 19-year-old’s latest display of hard-running brutality to inspire Brisbane’s epic 17-16 extra-time defeat of Parramatta on Friday night. The 108kg wrecking ball tore the Eels apart, scoring a rampaging 30th-minute solo try before unleashing the golden-point charge that led to Jamayne Isaako’s matchwinning field goal. Fifita finished with 132 running metres, eight tackle busts and a game-high three line breaks to cement his reputation as the most ferocious emerging back-rower in the code.

Fifita has been in supreme form in recent years. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

Fifita has been in supreme form in recent years. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

A staggering 10 clubs are lining up with big-money deals to snare Fifita, who is off-contract next year, but his post-match critique of the Broncos underlines how difficult it will be to prise him from the NRL’s richest team. “I love the Broncos,” Fifita declared in the aftermath of his Eels demolition. “They are a great club, I have been with them ever since I was really young and the staff and the boys have done so much for me. “They have done a lot for me in my career already.” Fifita’s market value is soaring with every blockbusting performance. NRL suitors have advised his management they are prepared to consider tabling formal offers nudging the $1 million-a-season mark.

offers nudging the $1 million-a-season mark

With the Broncos already possessing one $1 million player in Anthony Milford, they cannot afford another seven-figure outlay to extend Fifita beyond 2020. But they can pay up to $800,000 annually under the salary cap in 2021 and if their offer is in the ballpark, Fifita will stay. A key factor in Fifita’s decision will be his close ties to fellow rising forwards Payne Haas and Matt Lodge and their pact to stay together in pursuit of Brisbane’s first premiership since 2006. The Maroons back-rower can field formal offers from November 1, but Broncos coach Anthony Seibold is confident Brisbane hierarchy will strike a retention blow before then.

Fifita has been on fire in recent weeks. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

Fifita has been on fire in recent weeks. AAP Image/Dave Hunt.

“There has been commentary around us signing all these players and we have left no room for David, that is totally untrue,” he said. “We have a really good contract sitting there ready to go for David, Peter Nolan (recruitment chief) is meeting with his manager (this) Wednesday. “David has indicated to me he wants to stay, it’s just really working out the terms of the contract and whatever else. “We have the money there (in the salary cap) for David.”

We have the money
in the salary cap
for David

Fifita set-up the Eels victory with ferocious charges coming back infield against the grain, a tactical play he is relishing. "That’s the play that I like,” he said of his matchwinning run in extra-time. “It was an early play and I just dropped under through the middle. I backed myself to go all the way, but I got a quick play the ball and Isaako did the job for us in the end. “Darius (Boyd) is real helpful for me. He directs me and tells me to get to this point of the field and have a run. “I don’t like to think about things too much out there, I just want the ball and I just run.”

Well yeh Davey boy you just keep on not thinking about things. We'll get the ball to you and you just run mate....just run.

If we can get him for 600, 650-700K tops, it would be great. Roosters apparently have Chrichton on 1Mil, and Fifita just seems a lot more talented. Of course we don't have a $20M salary cap like the Roosters, but still.

Surely he had more than 8 tackle busts last night. He looked like he was ten pin bowling. Mowing them down and then circling around to pick up the spare!

Surely he had more than 8 tackle busts last night. He looked like he was ten pin bowling. Mowing them down and then circling around to pick up the spare!
NRL.com had him breaking 15.

But this reporting from the CM just shows that these journalists don’t actually watch the game.

He broke about 5 tackles in his first or second run of the match and then another 5 or so in the final tackle of the match.

NRL.com had him breaking 15.

But this reporting from the CM just shows that these journalists don’t actually watch the game.

He broke about 5 tackles in his first or second run of the match and then another 5 or so in the final tackle of the match.
Dude, it's the courier Mail. They probably think 5+5 =8

This is great news for the future when you can keep hold of very very talented players for considerable less than their market value.

The fact we have got TPJ, Haas, Lodge, etc on less than market value means we won’t hopefully have huge salary cap blowouts like many teams find themselves in moving forward. Hopefully we add Fifita to the list then in a couple years when we can get Boyd, Macca and Gillett off the books, provided how we spend that money could have huge implications on what premiership window looking side we can put on the park

The way the broncs are and how they seem to be stagnating ridiculously over a long period I’d be high tailing it outta there if I was a young player like Fifita! Love the broncs but unfortunately they haven’t done anything of late to keep me passionate!

Active Now

• azza.79
  • Sproj
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • NSW stables
  • mitch222
  • Redux
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • marw
  • Bish
  • Broncorob
  • ostin86
  • Johnny92
  • Culhwch
  • Allo
  • Footy Fanatic
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.