English Premier League 21/22 Discussion

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Threads
I know you guys don't like other leagues, but the Milan/Atletico game was fun. Would love to see Milan go through.

Barca really up against it. Have to try to get a draw against Bayern or hope Benfica lose.

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
Threads
City were very good against PSG. They carved them open so many times with short passing and movement. Only problem was finishing it off. Still can't comprehend how such a huge club with Champions League aspirations are basically without a striker for the last two years. If they could land a serious striker, they'd be next to unstoppable I reckon.
The false 9 does bring its benefits particularly to their system. While they should get a striker players like Foden, Gundogan,Silva Torres, Sterling and Jesus rotating in the false 9 is hard to defend as the are all class players with different strengths. I think Pep prefers to lineup the way they do now, which is hard to argue against. If they get a striker they need the right type. Lukaku would have been the perfect fit in my view. If they get Haaland he will need to adjust a bit to the Man City System. I can't see why they wanted Kane as to me he is the least adaptable to the way they play

Renegade

State of Origin Rep
Mar 14, 2008
Threads
I know you guys don't like other leagues, but the Milan/Atletico game was fun. Would love to see Milan go through.

Barca really up against it. Have to try to get a draw against Bayern or hope Benfica lose.
Barca will be playing EL

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
The false 9 does bring its benefits particularly to their system. While they should get a striker players like Foden, Gundogan,Silva Torres, Sterling and Jesus rotating in the false 9 is hard to defend as the are all class players with different strengths. I think Pep prefers to lineup the way they do now, which is hard to argue against. If they get a striker they need the right type. Lukaku would have been the perfect fit in my view. If they get Haaland he will need to adjust a bit to the Man City System. I can't see why they wanted Kane as to me he is the least adaptable to the way they play
Sadly, i have a feeling ( and the rumours are getting stronger ) that they will make a bid for Raul Jimenez in January. He would fit their style perfectly imo and even at his age they would still get a good 3 years out of him even as a rotation player. Never really relied on pace and technically he is superb.

BroncosFever

NRL Player
Jun 6, 2014
Threads
It’s a ridiculous team, but having that much quality across the park shouldn’t allow them to have a striker of equal ability (spending wise). didn’t fifa bring something in to stop teams just hoarding players? I’m a Liverpool fan and interestingly we were like 15th in spending this year in the epl alone…as far as transfer fees go. Although We probably should have lost that Porto match though, didn’t send out A team out, nearly paid for it.

impressive none the less.

I don't think they did bring in anything like that.

United spent 40 million on a young player (from Atalanta) and he's been played in their u/23's team since he was bought in. Amad Diallo is his name. You see it with all the giant clubs, their bench would be better than half the league's run on team in terms of quality in their respective position.

BroncsFan

State of Origin Captain
Jul 28, 2016
Threads
I don't think they did bring in anything like that.

United spent 40 million on a young player (from Atalanta) and he's been played in their u/23's team since he was bought in. Amad Diallo is his name. You see it with all the giant clubs, their bench would be better than half the league's run on team in terms of quality in their respective position.
Amad was a desperation signing by the inept board because they completely fucked the Sancho deal first time around.

He was also like $16m with possible add ons that could get up to $30m or something, but that's like Amad needing to win Ballon D'or to activate

Bongo

NRL Player
Oct 10, 2013
Threads
Sadly, i have a feeling ( and the rumours are getting stronger ) that they will make a bid for Raul Jimenez in January. He would fit their style perfectly imo and even at his age they would still get a good 3 years out of him even as a rotation player. Never really relied on pace and technically he is superb.
I don't think they will bring anyone in in January. What they did to PSG doesn't need improving. Pep doesn't like January purchases. They will go hard in the summer for a striker and a left back to replace the jail bound Mendy.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Pep will always bring in somebody in January if he feels they are short just like he did with Laporte a few years ago. He acknowledged a few weeks ago they needed to be a bit more clinical in front of goal, and he also chased Kane pretty strongly in the summer so he must feel they need a striker. Depends on if they are prepared to wait until after this season finishes to get Haaland or Vlahovic or if they try to get Raul from Wolves, which would make the most sense for a January signing as he isnt cup tied for the European competition, and he would still be a fantastic squad player for the next couple of years as well. The issue will be how much Wolves will want for him as he is just so integral to our way of playing.

scobie

QCup Player
Sep 1, 2017
Threads
I actually think Kane would suit their style as he plays that false 9 role with spurs. I think he actually plays too deep for his own good now. I've never been overly impressed with Lukaku. I think he's just a flat track bully. He doesn't have that bit of magic that you need against the very best. Haven't seen much of Haaland to be honest. Would like to see how he'd go at city. If he fired for them they'd be unstoppable.

scobie

QCup Player
Sep 1, 2017
Threads
Looks like Ralf Rangnick is going to be named as interim united manager. Should be a steady hand on a creaking wheel.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
I actually think Kane would suit their style as he plays that false 9 role with spurs. I think he actually plays too deep for his own good now. I've never been overly impressed with Lukaku. I think he's just a flat track bully. He doesn't have that bit of magic that you need against the very best. Haven't seen much of Haaland to be honest. Would like to see how he'd go at city. If he fired for them they'd be unstoppable.

I think if they are going to spend over $200 million on a player they arent going to spend it on Harry Kane now. He will be 29 pretty much by the time he gets to sign for them more than likely.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Forum Staff
May 21, 2013
Threads
Anybody playing FPL?

1638151911637.png

Pretty happy with my rank for my first season 🤓

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Threads
Interestingly, Ronaldo was left on the bench in Man United’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

Considering he's scored 10 goals so far this season and a lot of them have been late in the game, I found it interesting that was the decision. There's a lot of speculation it was Rangnick that made the call, which if that's the case then it's a sign of things to come. Carrick is saying it was all his decision, but I think it was Rangnick that made the call.

But anyway, a 1-1 draw is a great result considering their form in previous matches. Chelsea dominated that game and United only had 3 shots on goal and 34% possession. It was a good effort to escape with a draw and really it should have been a win. Hopefully it's a turning point.

Unbreakable

International Rep
Forum Staff
May 21, 2013
Threads
Interestingly, Ronaldo was left on the bench in Man United’s 1-1 draw with Chelsea.

Considering he's scored 10 goals so far this season and a lot of them have been late in the game, I found it interesting that was the decision. There's a lot of speculation it was Rangnick that made the call, which if that's the case then it's a sign of things to come. Carrick is saying it was all his decision, but I think it was Rangnick that made the call.

But anyway, a 1-1 draw is a great result considering their form in previous matches. Chelsea dominated that game and United only had 3 shots on goal and 34% possession. It was a good effort to escape with a draw and really it should have been a win. Hopefully it's a turning point.

It wasn't that surprising when you saw how Carrick had them playing, the entire game plan was to sit back, defend and quickly counter-attack when Chelsea made a mistake. Rashford & Sancho up front are far better at that style of football than a 36 year old Ronaldo.

Rangnick certainly won't bench Ronaldo every game, but I think there's a very strong chance he does against the top teams.

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
Threads
Since Ole was sacked Man United have had a 1-1 draw with Chelsea despite only having 3 shots at goal and 34% possession and a 3-2 win against Arsenal.

These are two games they would have lost easily with their form under Ole. It’s still too early to tell but it seems the attitude has changed since Ole was sacked which says to me they didn’t want to play for him anymore.

Time will tell, though. The next month will tell us if they have turned a corner or not.

mitch222

State of Origin Rep
Apr 4, 2014
Threads
It wasn't that surprising when you saw how Carrick had them playing, the entire game plan was to sit back, defend and quickly counter-attack when Chelsea made a mistake. Rashford & Sancho up front are far better at that style of football than a 36 year old Ronaldo.

Rangnick certainly won't bench Ronaldo every game, but I think there's a very strong chance he does against the top teams.
Yet he slots two goals this morning against Arsenal. Ronaldo is to good to leave sitting on the bench with his strike rate.

Wolfie

International Rep
Jan 14, 2015
Threads
Yet he slots two goals this morning against Arsenal. Ronaldo is to good to leave sitting on the bench with his strike rate.

He's ultra fit, but he still needs to be managed at his age. He can still be a huge influence even if he isnt a regular starter.

scobie

QCup Player
Sep 1, 2017
Threads
Divock Origi with a last minute winner for Liverpool. Spares Jota's blushes after his howler. Now top of the table. At least for a few hours depending how city go.

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Mar 5, 2008
Threads
Rotten scousers. Tbf, they probably deserved the win, but that was a cruel way to lose.

I'd much rather a comfortable 2-0 or 3-0 win, but nothing beats the feeling of a last minute winner. Pure emotion.

Can see why Wolves are doing well this year, just need to find some goals. They barely gave Salah a sniff for the first 70 or so, but then he started finding some space. That touch that led to the assist for big Divock was pure gravy.

Latest posts

Who should be captain?

• Herbie Farnworth

• Kotoni Staggs

• Jake Turpin

• Patrick Carrigan

• Payne Haas

• Adam Reynolds

• Billy Walters

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OlivaBraze

Members online

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.