FOOTBALL English Premier League 23/24 Discussion

I think our depth belies our actual quality.

Ox may have been good enough once upon a time but injuries have ruined his career at the top top. He will be a good player for a mid table side but I don't see him ever getting a proper run again, esp with 12 months left

Keita is injury prone AF. He might be a good player but if he plays once every 4 games and gets injured there's not a lot of upside to him.

Curtis has never really stepped up to the level required, bar a few moments here or there. I'm not sure he'll make it with us unless he moves up a gear (which I dont know if he's capable of)

Hendo is good but is slowing down now and his maniacal pressing game is starting to show with wear and tear injuries. He needs to be transitioned to a Milner type role.

Milner is 37 in 4 months time. Good pro but I don't think any team challenging for a title should have a 36/37yo starting. Happy to keep him as a squaddie but he's not going to change a game for us.

So that leaves us with Fabinho, Thiago (also injury prone, but quality when he is on the field) Carvalho and Elliot, the latter two are still teens.

We targeted Tchouameni but weren't beating out Real, so we obviously know that we need improvement there, but I think Klopp is a 1 or 2 targets or no one type of manager. Which is fine, no need to throw money around aimlessly, but it's going to be hard to mount a title challenge with the aforementioned mid and the bedding in of a new striker.

How we looking in terms of getting him?
You would think they would have a good chance, but the elephant in the room is Citeh are also apparently very interested in him.

How we looking in terms of getting him?
You would think they would have a good chance, but the elephant in the room is Citeh are also apparently very interested in him.
I wish I was an insider lol but I really have no idea how close we are. Just that Klopp loves him and we've been tracking him for a while now. I think we might've made a move for him this window if Haaland hadn't left as well. Can't really blame Dortmund for not wanting to press the reset button again. Like @Wolfie said, City are interested and it might be hard to compete if they throw 200k a week at him where I very much doubt he'd get that with us (imagine a 20yo coming in and earning more than your premiership/european cup winning captain, would upset the balance entirely).

Reality is, we're always going to have to be more clever in the market because whilst we aren't poor, any of the oil clubs and hell, even United despite how they're going can blow us outta the water. I hope (and am reasonably) confident we've got some backup targets because I don't think the midfield can be ignored again in 12 months time. Not if we have any serious ambitions anyway.

When does that “fake” rule step in with money spent?

I wish I was an insider lol but I really have no idea how close we are. Just that Klopp loves him and we've been tracking him for a while now. I think we might've made a move for him this window if Haaland hadn't left as well. Can't really blame Dortmund for not wanting to press the reset button again. Like @Wolfie said, City are interested and it might be hard to compete if they throw 200k a week at him where I very much doubt he'd get that with us (imagine a 20yo coming in and earning more than your premiership/european cup winning captain, would upset the balance entirely).

Reality is, we're always going to have to be more clever in the market because whilst we aren't poor, any of the oil clubs and hell, even United despite how they're going can blow us outta the water. I hope (and am reasonably) confident we've got some backup targets because I don't think the midfield can be ignored again in 12 months time. Not if we have any serious ambitions anyway.

Your last part about being clever in the market is why i though Nunes would be a no brainer for Liverpool especially at the price we got him for, and he genuinely looks like a superstar in the making and only 23.

Liverpool have really worked miracles to push Man City so hard in recent times, but i think this year they are going to drop back alongside Spurs and Chelsea If they dont get in another midfielder. City as a squad just look as strong as anything i can ever remember. I think they can win the league very comfortably tbh.

When does that “fake” rule step in with money spent?

I dont like FFP, i think its setup to let the big clubs keep being ahead of everyone else, but being fair to City this season they have spent less than they have bought in, which considering the players they got is incredible.

Your last part about being clever in the market is why i though Nunes would be a no brainer for Liverpool especially at the price we got him for, and he genuinely looks like a superstar in the making and only 23.
perhaps we bought the wrong nunez (s) from the portugese league.

sporting director:

perhaps we bought the wrong nunez (s) from the portugese league.

sporting director:

View attachment 19570

He's quality as well! Liverpool really even losing Mane have an outstanding group of attacking players in Nunez, Diaz, Salah, Firmino and Jota. That group can match it with anyone in world football.

Really need another mid like you guys have said, Elliot is a talent but coming off a seriously bad injury and should be managed.

I think our depth belies our actual quality.

Ox may have been good enough once upon a time but injuries have ruined his career at the top top. He will be a good player for a mid table side but I don't see him ever getting a proper run again, esp with 12 months left

Keita is injury prone AF. He might be a good player but if he plays once every 4 games and gets injured there's not a lot of upside to him.

Curtis has never really stepped up to the level required, bar a few moments here or there. I'm not sure he'll make it with us unless he moves up a gear (which I dont know if he's capable of)

Hendo is good but is slowing down now and his maniacal pressing game is starting to show with wear and tear injuries. He needs to be transitioned to a Milner type role.

Milner is 37 in 4 months time. Good pro but I don't think any team challenging for a title should have a 36/37yo starting. Happy to keep him as a squaddie but he's not going to change a game for us.

So that leaves us with Fabinho, Thiago (also injury prone, but quality when he is on the field) Carvalho and Elliot, the latter two are still teens.

We targeted Tchouameni but weren't beating out Real, so we obviously know that we need improvement there, but I think Klopp is a 1 or 2 targets or no one type of manager. Which is fine, no need to throw money around aimlessly, but it's going to be hard to mount a title challenge with the aforementioned mid and the bedding in of a new striker.

You've nailed it there mate, agree with everything.

I think we were all in on Tchouameni, but when he declared he only wanted to go to Real Madrid, that was that.

I believe Bellingham has always been a 'next season' target. We'd only step in now if another club came in for him, like with Diaz and Spurs in January.

Spot on about Klopp and the whole recruitment team too - they won't buy anyone for the sake of buying anyone. They seem to have a meticulous approach to signing players, and there's a number of stringent requirements that need to be met before a player is deemed worthy of signing.

Wolves are all over Spurs here in the first 40 odd.

Neves is such a baller.

Wolves are all over Spurs here in the first 40 odd.

Neves is such a baller.

He is. Really hope United dont get him. He is too good for them and deserves better. Our midfield 3 are actually up there with the anyone in the league apart from Citeh.

We need to start testing the keeper though. I think once Raul is fully fit and we get another striker in it will add another dimension and goals.

He is. Really hope United dont get him. He is too good for them and deserves better. Our midfield 3 are actually up there with the anyone in the league apart from Citeh.

We need to start testing the keeper though. I think once Raul is fully fit and we get another striker in it will add another dimension and goals.
Well I obviously disagree and hope we do get him, but I think Wolves will rightfully ask for millions and millions of pounds should United or anyone else come knocking. He would legitimately be perfect for United, especially now with Casemiro.

Agree on your whole midfield too. It's absolute quality.

Sidenote, spurs have started the 2nd half much better..

Well I obviously disagree and hope we do get him, but I think Wolves will rightfully ask for millions and millions of pounds should United or anyone else come knocking. He would legitimately be perfect for United, especially now with Casemiro.

Agree on your whole midfield too. It's absolute quality.

Sidenote, spurs have started the 2nd half much better..

United have done their usual and signed somebody like Casimero, a player on the way down on huge money.

Pity Spurs are winning now, but they have been the better side this half.

If we get 2 good years out of Casemiro I don't even care. It was a much needed acquisition in midfield and one of the best in his position. Huge money, but it is what it is. McFred is dead.

The biggest thing to hopefully come from the next few weeks, regardless of links to Antony, Gakpo, Dest etc, is continued pressure on the Glazers to sell.

Gg United.

Disgraceful performance by us. Like I said previously, our midfield depth belies our quality. It's really quite poor outside of 1-2 players. Elliot tried but misplaced too many passes and the less said about Hendo and milner the better. Once again, why is a 36yo starting most games for us?

Trent needs to get his head out of his arse, his defending has been atrocious since the end of last season and a handful of decent passes each game is nowhere close to making up the shortfall. Casually sauntering back when we're being countered... ffs

**** sake, that midfield is stuffed.

letting mane go is not looking like a smart play. I wonder if Mo turns into Chelsea Mo without him…

What a relief that was. Night and day on the past 2 games.

Maguire, Shaw and Ronaldo are going to find it tough to get back in that starting 11.

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Foordy
  • Allo
  • Broncorob
  • kiwi2
  • Broncosgirl
  • Financeguy
  • jd87
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Cavalo
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Mr Fourex
  • levikaden
  • ezpz
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Justwin
  • something
  • MrMoore
  • Skathen
... and 15 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.