Ennis out, Perry in

S

Spud

QCup Player
Mar 4, 2008
According to Fox Sports News, Michael Ennis has been ruled out for tomorrow, with Shane Perry coming into the team.

I would of though if Ennis is out, Michael Roberts should be in.

Here is the proof:

Broncos hit with Ennis blow
By Wayne Heming
March 15, 2008 BRISBANE hooker Michael Ennis's injury curse has struck again with a niggling quad strain forcing him out of the NRL battle with Penrith at Suncorp Stadium.

Parramatta recruit PJ Marsh has been promoted from the bench to take over the dummy-half duties and 2006 grand final halfback Shane Perry earns a late call-up.

The reshuffle wont cause any dramas, Marsh having trained for weeks at hooker along with Ennis.

It is a confidence blow for Ennis, who's had a tough run with injury including a knee reconstruction last season.

Wayne Bennett opted to hand over the pre-game interview to his assistant Ivan Henjak in what could be a preview to 2009 when the former Canberra halfback is tipped to be Brisbane's interim coach.

"We're going to share the (interview) role," said Henjack when it was suggested he'd taken over the coaching reins from Bennett.

"There's certain things he's going to opt out of as coach.

"It's not something I like either, but one of us has to do it and I lost the toss this morning.

"I could hear the sighs of disappointment from you guys (media) when I walked up."

Henjak conducted the interview superbly, even admitting Brisbane's left-side winger Darius Boyd had some problems with high balls which had been addressed.

"Michael (Ennis) probably could have played at a pinch but we thought, first game, if he does it again we could lose him for a month.

"PJ's been training there all pre-season so it's nothing new, and Shane Perry has been in there a few times as well."

Henjak has been very impressed by new halfback Peter Wallace's confidence at training.

"The last two weeks I've watched him take control of the team and order them around and let Locky (Darren Lockyer) play his own game.

"Peter's only a young kid as well. He's only 21 and coming to a new club, he's having to boss some fairly experienced guys around.

"He hasn't put a foot wrong and he's been really confident which is the thing I've been most impressed with the last two weeks."

Brisbane will need Wallace to be authoritative and to take the ball to the line against Penrith's big pack.

"Talking to Peter, I think that's what he wants to do and he relishes that role.

"He played outside Craig Gower last year but I think he likes that role of being first receiver and telling players what to do."

"He and Locky are both really smart players and they've spoke lots about how they want to play.

"I'm really looking forward to their combination actually."

Henjak, who said Lockyer had the capacity to go 80 minutes in his comeback game, said Brisbane's pack had to hold Penrith's bigger forwards who'll try and take control of the clash up the middle.

"Watching them against the Bulldogs, they like that ruck area play.

"Our forwards really have to hold their own there.

"If we lose that battle, we're going to be in a bit of strife and chasing them all day.

"If our forwards can hold their own and give our backs some opportunity and field position then we'll be right in the game."

AAP

Jeez you gotta feel for Ennis. The poor guy can't catch a break [icon_frown

I think you nailed it, ning!

Glad to see our strike weapon gets another chance hehehhehee

C'mon guys, he's a premiership winning halfback!!

[icon_shady

Must have hurt himself mowing the lawn the other day when I saw him at his place [icon_wink

Yeh this is smart, put Perry who has been ordinary since god knows when in while Moon who actually had some good trials from reports gets shafted [icon_thumbs_do

666 said:
Yeh this is smart, put Perry who has been ordinary since god knows when in while Moon who actually had some good trials from reports gets shafted [icon_thumbs_do

I'm with you. Every year there seems to be at least one player who makes it into the side despite being ordinary while someone else playing out of their skin misses out.

While I would have gone with Roberts on the bench over Perry to share the dummy half duties with PJ Marsh I wouldn't say Moon has been playing out of his skin and has been at best solid during the trial matches and with centre and 5/8th options covered in the side if something arises I dont see the need for him there at present, not over someone who is more capable at hooker to share the workload required after losing Ennis.

Why on earth do we persist with Perry?

Go for a younger player who has potential to improve rather than an old one who's on the decline.

Is it just me or did Henjak just say more in that one interview than all Wayne Bennett team-related interviews in the past put together?

Perry is an average QCup player at best. Give Moon a crack.

Je$ter said:
Perry is an average QCup player at best. Give Moon a crack.

Over to you BroncoMatt...I believe Shane Perry was Q Cup player of the year at least once.

He actually did quite well yesterday off the bench I thought.

Active Now

• Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.