Excited about next year

Steve

Steve

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
I'm hanging out for the start of season 2009. Not because of what went down on Saturday night, that chance is now gone and we all need to move on.

We'll have a new coach with a number of new players (Izzy FTW!!) and a new culture. So what needs to happen?

- I think a lot will depend on how Lockyer goes. We'll need him to be a calming and guiding influence on the new brigade and if he stays fit and the combination with Folau clicks we could have a cracking arsenal.

- Hodges needs to rediscover his mojo. In all honesty Justin's 2008 season was pathetic and I just pray we haven't seen the last of his good form. Less dummy half running please Justin, you're not all that.

- We need to get our consistency back. There were a number of uncharacteristic Bronco performances this season, especially following the Origin period. I'd like to see us get ruthless and go for the kill when we've got sides on the ropes. The Melbourne game is a prime example. We should have put them to the sword and our inability to put them away told me we've lost our way a little.

- Big pre-seasons from Sims and & Taylor. I've got no doubt Sims will come out ready next year. The fallout from Saturday night is enough to spur any player on. He can't go missing like he did in certain periods this season. Dave Taylor on the other hand is more or less playing for his career IMO. I think the word lazy springs to mind. The plaudits he received last year have definitely gotten to his head. He needs to realise he isn't the messiah and he needs to put in the hard yards like every other player.

So when do the trials start icon_thumbs_u icon_thumbs_u

Our season next year is dependant on Sims, Clinton, Parker and Taylor standing up. These 4 will likely miss the Origin games so we should expect some dominant performances from them over the course of the season. Thaiday won't be able to do it all on his own.

As you say, Lockyer needs to be the link between the past and the future for the team and I realy hope that Hunt will still be around to help him do that.

I love your optimism but I feel next season will be a long one.

Losing so many players and in important positions will make it really tough for the Broncs to rival some of the top teams.
Carroll for his experience and combo with Lockyer.

Ennis has been amazing this year and is in a key postion that we have built our entire game around this season. So he will be a massive loss

Kemp and Boyd have been great in the later part of the season and especially under the high ball. We do have Izzy to replace one of them which is almost like having two new players so those losses cancel out.

Hannant's form hasnt been that gret of recent times but his loss will still be felt by the Broncos. Kenny has improved as has Clinton but when I thinm they will most likely be our starting props, I feel its going to be a very long season.

Theres no experience in our forward pack anymore, no leadership when times get tough. Theres no point having a world class backline if your forwards arnt going forward. Hopefully Taylor stands up next year but agin he is just so young without a player like Price or Civo etc in our forwards pack I feel they'll struggle.

Our biggest loss of all though is Wayne bennett, id be excited for next year if Wayne was still there but without him times may be tough. I guess im jumping the gun cause Henjak may be amazing but Waynes best qaulity was getting the best out of his players, wether they were Scott Minto or Lockyer. Thats the main reason im not excited about next year.

Sorry to be so negative, but this was the year we had our best shot at the premiership and I feel it will be a long time efore we get another shot at it. With the team we have next year i cant say im excited at all. Probably still hurting a bit from this year but im worried for the Broncos.

Just remember that Bennett produced Bellamy so hopefully lightning will strike twice.

Yeah, Bellamy and Henjak both seem like wankers too, so if all goes to plan, he will turn out to be a good coach.

I dont know if we will have a new culture like u claim. Hunt, hodges and thaiday seem to be the problem, and sadly they are all sticking around. They will probably try and turn Folau into a drunk bogan like themselves.

I'm excited about next year...with Neil Henry, a fit Thursto/Bown/Payne the cowboys look the goods.

QUEENSLANDER said:
I dont know if we will have a new culture like u claim. Hunt, hodges and thaiday seem to be the problem, and sadly they are all sticking around. They will probably try and turn Folau into a drunk bogan like themselves.

Can I ask which Broncos you do actually like?

QUEENSLANDER said:

Assuming Hunt and Thaiday don't get punted, or at least put on notice that any indiscretion will see them sacked. Just like the Storm stopped grappling after Lima got sin binned, these guys will stop their boozing and crap when they face the sack.

It's like all children. You can warn them about the consequences only so many times before you have to follow through with it.

To me that's the key to 2009. Setting the ground rules of this new era under Henjak. The tactics, the game plans, the fitness work...all that is detail IMO.

winnie_992 said:
I love your optimism but I feel next season will be a long one.

Losing so many players and in important positions will make it really tough for the Broncs to rival some of the top teams.
Carroll for his experience and combo with Lockyer.

Ennis has been amazing this year and is in a key postion that we have built our entire game around this season. So he will be a massive loss

Kemp and Boyd have been great in the later part of the season and especially under the high ball. We do have Izzy to replace one of them which is almost like having two new players so those losses cancel out.

Hannant's form hasnt been that gret of recent times but his loss will still be felt by the Broncos. Kenny has improved as has Clinton but when I thinm they will most likely be our starting props, I feel its going to be a very long season.

Theres no experience in our forward pack anymore, no leadership when times get tough. Theres no point having a world class backline if your forwards arnt going forward. Hopefully Taylor stands up next year but agin he is just so young without a player like Price or Civo etc in our forwards pack I feel they'll struggle.

Our biggest loss of all though is Wayne bennett, id be excited for next year if Wayne was still there but without him times may be tough. I guess im jumping the gun cause Henjak may be amazing but Waynes best qaulity was getting the best out of his players, wether they were Scott Minto or Lockyer. Thats the main reason im not excited about next year.

Sorry to be so negative, but this was the year we had our best shot at the premiership and I feel it will be a long time efore we get another shot at it. With the team we have next year i cant say im excited at all. Probably still hurting a bit from this year but im worried for the Broncos.

Yeah all good points, particularly the forwards. Clinton and Sims although young will have to lead from the front. I'm also tipping Nick Kenny to have a very important role and continue his great form from this season. I still think we have enough talent to be consistent next year. We probably won't go near the top 4 but we have some quality players and if they stay fit they can guide and mentor the newbies.

Last time I thought the Broncos wouldn't go close to top 4 was 2000. How wrong was I?
Since then I've been reluctant to predict bad performances from the club, no matter the personnel changes.

However, new coach does provide an entirely new set of variables.

Coxy said:
Assuming Hunt and Thaiday don't get punted, or at least put on notice that any indiscretion will see them sacked. Just like the Storm stopped grappling after Lima got sin binned, these guys will stop their boozing and crap when they face the sack.

It's like all children. You can warn them about the consequences only so many times before you have to follow through with it.

To me that's the key to 2009. Setting the ground rules of this new era under Henjak. The tactics, the game plans, the fitness work...all that is detail IMO.

I'd like to think the same thing. Henjak seems to be no-nonsense on these kinds of things, so hopefully he'll have the support of the higher-ups in setting things right again. It's going to take some doing for Hunt and Thaiday to redeem themselves in my eyes, but I'll support them so long as they wear our jerseys - and provided they aren't charged and found guilty.

But I am looking forward to a new season, a new coach, and a new look team. Just too long to wait...

I know losing all those players was a massive blow, though some people seem to forget just what Folau is capable of - because be hasnt been in amazing form at the back end of this year.

Anyone remember this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-XdYlMs5q0 [icon_ee Go to the 32nd second, watch from there...
To add to the amazement, that kick for the second try wasn't even weighted well - it was only a few metres from going dead.

Now, imagine him jumping for the NSW halfback and QLD five-eighth's crossfield kicks. Gonna be awesome.

Izzy isn't the only thing that excites me though. I'm looking forward to Gorrell and Setu coming in. Setu's awesome.

Also, it will be interesting seeing Henjak take over. He isnt useless, remember hes been under Bennett for a while, surely hes learned something from the master...

I'm really looking forward to seeing Setu in a Bronco Jersey.. I also look forward to seeing what Dean Benton can do with Dave Taylor over a full pre-season.

I also think Dean Benton's return is a big key to turning around the off-field discipline. He tended to keep players in line alot. One of my closest friends was on his staff and also started this season with Jeremy but left part way through to take up a better job offer. However she has told me that Jeremy didn't have a role in the discipline the same way Dean did. I think that he firstly flogs them at training so they don't really have the energy to go out and play up and secondly has the threat of a more severe flogging at training if they do play up (not sure, just my opinion, but I do believe he will play a major role in the discipline area again). Also have the likes of Webcke back in the club - he'll set them straight if they do play up I would imagine.

Personally I am trying not to put too much expectation the team for next year. We have never had as many personnel changes at the same time before - especially the key personnel of this nature. But at the same time, changes can usually bring a lot of positives, so I am also quite excited to see what lies ahead - whether 2009 lays the platform for more future success or brings another premiership, I think there will be a lot of good come out of the season.

A few players need to out in big off seasons (taylor and sims in particulir). And Kenny and Clinton need to step up big time to be the leaders of out forward pack.

I just hope we don't resort to kicking to Falou's wing every play. That shit is so boring and I hated watching the Storm do it. 2006 they scored most of their tries from cross field kicks from Cronk. Same with the first half on Sat. They just put the kick up. Boyd and Kemp dealt with it well thankfully. But it seemed one dimensional to me.

I agree with you that's is boring to watch repeatedly, however a team has to play to their strengths and what is going to give them the best chance of winning and there is no doubt Falou jumping over people's heads on the try line or in goal to collect a cross-field kick is a definite (often match-winning) strength for any team he's in as long as they have an average at least kicker

Active Now

• Justwin
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • eggstar10
  • GCBRONCO
  • broncsgoat
  • Xzei
  • Strop
  • Wolfie
  • Jazza
  • Battler
  • Harry Sack
  • ezpz
  • davidp
  • Brocko
  • BroncosAlways
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.