NEWS Fast learner: Speed machine Deine repaying the faith

BHQArticleImageDeineMarinerL

Speed machine Deine Mariner is repaying the faith shown in him by coach Kevin Walters, scoring a double as the Broncos notched their first win of the season against the Rabbitohs.

Walters has said Mariner’s pace prompted him to give the Marist Saints junior the nod over 201-gamer Corey Oates on the wing, and that pace proved key in Mainer’s first try of the game, chasing through on an Adam Reynolds grubber to score. His second saw speed come to the fore once more as he ran through on his own chip and chase.

“I'm finally starting to get some games now and I'm just trying to build my confidence and back myself a lot; that was just the moment that I took and I was lucky enough to a capitalise on that one,” Mariner said of his individual effort to bag his second try of the night.

For Walters, it was pleasing to see the 20-year-old back back himself as he found his feet in an NRL career that is still only eight games old.

“He's a good young talent,” Walters said.

“He's a try scorer, that's what he does. And for someone that young, he's handling it all; the speed and the pace of the game.

“He's doing a lot of things right, which is pleasing for us as a group and also for Deine.”

Somewhat of a surprise selection before the opening round loss in Las Vegas, keeping out veteran winger Oates, Mariner said he’d been learning a lot from the former Queensland Origin representative who has been happy to help, while also pushing his own claims for selection.

“Obviously, (Walters) could have picked Oatesy, he is a legend of the club, but he picked me, and I just wanted to repay his faith just by putting my best forward every week,” Mariner said.

“I just have to keep building on that in the coming weeks if I get chosen.

“(Oates is) always around the club giving me the best advice, especially with the position.

“He's a legend of the club, especially in that position, he's done so much for the team.

“So if I could learn anything, it would be for him.”

Noted as one of the fastest players at the club, Mariner has also been working on keeping his weapon sharp while he bulked up in the pre-season to better handle the rigours of the NRL, with the club employing sprint coaches who have helped to maintain his speed.

“We have some speed coaches here at training. In the pre-season, I worked a lot on maintaining my speed while putting on weight,” Mariner said.

“I know speed is a strength for me, so it makes sense to work on the strengths and keep building them, so that's what I've done.”

Happy with his progress so far, Mariner said he still had plenty to work on and would be looking to make more improvements in order to keep his spot.

“I think just the work I do off the footy and defence, it's a big thing with this team,” Mariner said.

“If I can just keep working on, good reads and good tackles, I'll be, I'll be happy with where I am going.”

NRL.com

We have some speed coaches here at training. In the pre-season, I worked a lot on maintaining my speed while putting on weight,” Mariner said.

Quoted for the folks who told me he doesn`t need to gain size .

Active Now

• Allo
  • Skathen
  • Browny
  • Johnny92
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.