Favourite Gaming Moments

Harry Sack

State of Origin Rep
I’m with you 100% on this. The splinter cell series goes down as one of my favourites. Then they went and ruined it with the last game which was basically a 3rd person shooter. I was tricked out of my money!
Off topic here, but I watched a youtube vid the other day where the guy who voiced Sam Fischer in the first couple couldn't confirm that there was another one in the pipeline. I believe he was sick and unable to do the voice for the last one? Anyway, cross your fingers lads....you never know

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane

Unlocking the perfect ending in King's Quest VI requires you to sneak into the underworld and convince the lord of death to spare your fiance's parents. After going through all the other endings, realising that you could go to those lengths blew my young mind.

If pictures could tell you a thousand words. Typically in Yoshi's Island whenever you come across a boss fight, it's usually just a giant version of whatever critter you came across in the level. In this instance though, it's Yoshi who's shrunk down and has to fight his way out of the frog's stomach. Let's just say, the exit route was far from ideal.

In Ocarina of Time, you start off as a child going on this quest that nobody takes seriously. The only person who believes in you is the Princess and when you fulfill your quest, the entire world turns to dust. The once cheery Hyrule Castle is now a wasteland filled with rotting corpses and the world is far more dangerous than it once was. I thought this was an amazing allegory for growing up, that desire of wanting to be taken seriously vs. the hardships of living. OoT is an amazing game filled with plenty of highlights, but that initial run through to the Forest Temple remains my favourite. I thought it was one of the most original ideas in gaming, until I realised Final Fantasy 6 did the exact same thing 4 years prior (and better as well). It hasn't stopped me from playing through this game once every year.

After collecting enough jigsaw pieces and notes, it's finally time to play through the final showdown in Rare's masterpiece. You stand on the giant warp pad, expecting a big finale to your quest...instead you're treated to this game-show! That's right, the final stage of Banjo Kazooie is a do-or-die trivia game where the player is quizzed on their knowledge of the game. It was so out of left field and yet so fun, it took what was already a good game and made it into a great one. The stage itself happens to be a prelude to the final boss, which in true Rare fashion is 10 times harder than the rest of the game.

Pokemon was inescapable in 1999 for a variety of reasons. One of the major reasons that sticks out to me though were all the urban legends about the game. 9/10 when you'd hear about some trick in Mario or Goldeneye it was bogus, but in Pokemon the game was so broken that there was some merit to the game. The above is the infamous truck assett that you can find in Red/Blue by surfing the water well before you're supposed to have acces to the ability. The popular rumour at the time was that you'd knock the truck over with 'Strength' and uncover Mew, the hidden Pokemon and 151st of the series. Years later it was discovered that while it was false, there were a number of ways you could fight and capture the monster. Later games refined the mechanics, but none of them came close to having the same air of discovery like the original games did.

You unconver a conspiracy that one of the world's respected leaders (Seymour) is an anarchist who is set to destroy the world. When you attempt to stop him, he summons this monstrosity that wiped out an entire sky full of monsters in the blink of an eye. You're completely out-matched until you unconver a new summon of your own - Shiva and you seemingly put an end to Seymour's twisted plot. FFX is one of the more divisive games, but I always appreciated it's bigger moments.

Killer 7 is the one game where I actively look forward to speaking to NPCs and watching cut-scenes. The story is divided into six missions and while it's difficult to pick a favourite, the popular choice appears to be Cloudman. It's the one where the gang has to investigate this terrorist cult led by this charismatic cult leader Ulmeyda. Ulmeyda is such a fun-loving character that even when he's blowing up a Britney Spears concert (or whatever name they gave her, you can totally tell it's Britney) you can't help but be enamored by him.

The final stage of the Last Guardian. After a long thrilling journey, you and Trico finally scale to the top of the tower only to find more of Trico's kind. In a largely ambiguous game, it turns out Trico's kind are predators being controlled by this tower and they have no qualms tearing a little kid limb from limb. Trico stands up to them and as he's being ripped apart, you desperately try and find a way to stand up to these half dozen or so more powerful forms of Trico. After all the trials and tribulations, I've never felt more sense of urgency as a player.
KG VI was so boss, in fact the whole King's Quest series was amazing. Played through the whole series again a few years ago and it all still holds up.

broncos4life

International Rep
Brisbane
- Getting a Sega Master System II and clocking Alex The Kidd which was built in. Sun Water Moon Star Sun Moon Water Fish Star Fish - still remember it off by heart :lol::lol:
oh yeah, memories man.

I had never finished Alex Kidd but my now wife that I met in my early 20's had played it for years and could never work out the ending. She had tried to work out all the combinations by writing them down and trying them over and over for years but could never finish it.

I remember she was playing it one day and got to the final puzzle again and was like "I will never figure this out" and she is looking at the stone tablet think and I was like "oh this is a Japanese game yeah? try it in reverse because that's how they write. Boom!!!

She was crazy happy, that was a good night.

Alec

International Rep
Off topic here, but I watched a youtube vid the other day where the guy who voiced Sam Fischer in the first couple couldn't confirm that there was another one in the pipeline. I believe he was sick and unable to do the voice for the last one? Anyway, cross your fingers lads....you never know
The guy? That's Michael Ironside, a legend lol. Bad guy from Total Recall, plus lots of other great movies

Super Freak

International Captain
Staff
Brisbane
Yeah, in Blacklist it was Eric Johnson doing the voice of Sam Fisher instead of Michael Ironside. It kind of ruined Blacklist a little bit for me because I couldn't get over the different voice.

IIRC, the way Blacklist ended it was indicating that it wasn't quite over yet. There was always talk of another one being brought out and it was expected to be in 2018 but it just never happened. I haven't really done much research as to why but it wouldn't be the first time another title has been put on the back burner for a bit.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Login or Register

Forgot your password?
Don't have an account? Register now

Twitter