NEWS Fifita update

Starting to wonder if Todd Greenburg runs the game or whether Cameron Smith and Sam Burgess do?

What took you so long? Say what you want about Smith, he is a quality politician on top of being a great footballer (and it shows in his ego), and his reign over the NRLPA has turned the NRL into absolute dithering cowards. Greenburg in particular has proven to be a McGovern of a leader: inept, spineless and stupid.

Last edited:
I may be wrong but isn't Sam entitled to be paid out his full contract by Souths or are Souths proposing to pay it out over a 10 year period??

Probably right on the last front but still seems dicey as ****.

I struggle to believe that someone with his style of game and tackling technique (which has caused him shoulder problems in the past), is medically retired with what is described as a new ‘unrelated’ chronic shoulder problem since he signed his last contract.

Seems awfully convenient

Let's just hope we receive the same dispensation with Gillett's injury as Souths did.

You forget one important factor....

Gillett is a Bronco.

Watch Todd wave his magic wand and become Dr Know It All and link Gillett’s injuries that caused his retirement due to playing on after a pre existing neck injury

Remember when the Tigers got money taken off their cap because they "proposed" to offer Robbie Farah a job post retirement?

Souths have a job lined up for Burgess the second he retires. Load of shit.

Why were the Tigers punished, massively, for exactly what the Rabbitohs plan to do and have also done with Inglis? Offer them post retirement jobs as a sweetner for fucking off.

In what world does a dud like Burgess get 360k salary in an admin job, no fucking way. I'd take 3.6, over 10 years instead of 4 years, it's long term job security for a guy who has no career skills otherwise. Inglis getting 400k or whatever stupid number it was to be a community relations manager, people get actual qualifications for that and would be flat out getting a 50k p.a package for that job. We may as well offer Haas's mum an assistant social media manager position and give her 700k a year. Why not.

Last edited:
Remember when the Tigers got money taken off their cap because they "proposed" to offer Robbie Farah a job post retirement?

Why were the Tigers punished, massively, for exactly what the Rabbitohs plan to do and have also done with Inglis? Offer them post retirement jobs as a sweetner for fucking off.

In what world does a dud like Burgess get 360k salary in an admin job, no fucking way. I'd take 3.6, over 10 years instead of 4 years, it's long term job security for a guy who has no career skills otherwise. Inglis getting 400k or whatever stupid number it was to be a community relations manager, people get actual qualifications for that and would be flat out getting a 50k p.a package for that job. We may as well offer Haas's mum an assistant social media manager position and give her 700k a year. Why not.
It also drops his child support obligations if he is earning that much less each year.

It also drops his child support obligations if he is earning that much less each year.
Didn't even think of that.

It would also likely drop his tax burden significantly I think as well. Although it may still be in the top bracket, but I don't know. I bet it's easier to minimise tax on 360k than it is on double or triple that in a year. Claim enough deductions to drop a tax bracket and he's actually ahead by a fair margin. Just guessing but it's really a very convenient outcome for player and club.

Last edited:

It is no where near the same. The Tigers made it part of Farah’s severance that he’d come back to a 400k a year job if he quietly left. Thats different to retiring and getting a job, Souths didn’t plan this three years ago.

When the Tigers applied to have Farah off their cap they failed to mention the job waiting for him at the end of his Souths’ holiday.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Burgess is going to be paid $375,000/year over 10 years in an off field club role as compensation for the money he misses out on yet not a cent goes on the cap...

and we're paying Gillett the remainder of his contract without having to include a cent on our cap ...

the only difference is that Souths have decided to get something for their money

Worse would be if they got Fifita & Arrow.
The only solace we can take is that they have apparently turned their attention to Arrow, suggesting that Fifita is out of reach (unless they throw $1m at him) or they want someone that is available for 2020 (would require titans to release him).

There was also suggestion they could look towards Latrell given some of the free cash is from GI.

It seems odd you would go after a lock when you've got Murray, but I suspect Murray may move to Sutton's vacant left second row with Sua moving to the vacant right second row... assuming Arrow is their lock.

**** me could you imagine if those fucking ***** ended up with a back row of Arrow, Sua and Fifita (yeah Murray is there so it won't happen, but that could've been the Broncos back row in a sliding doors moment)

Last edited:
Haas and Fifita are the kind of players we offloaded Arrow in order to keep.

I for one am very glad we made that call. He isn't going to be missed.

Signed, sealed and delivered a quality player to a club that needs it the least at the cost of the one that needs it the most. The NRL have cut off their nose to spite their face so often.

Losing Arrow would be more on the Titans.

If they didn't mismanage their salary cap and weren't such a poorly run club then they likely wouldn't lose such players.

Arrow started to look really average this year. It looks as though he/ his body can't handle the high work rate through the season, and his high work rate is the only thing that distinguishes him as a player.

Last edited:
I saw arrow and his mrs out at breakfast one morning and I have to say she is fucking next level.

I think there is a bit of regency bias going on with Arrow in these last few posts. He’s been injured but he is very good. He is a loss but you cant keep them all.

There’s no way you can honestly say the team wouldn’t be better if he was in it this year, particularly given his contract and Haas / Fifita’s CURRENT contracts would almost 100% have no co-relation.

I saw arrow and his mrs out at breakfast one morning and I have to say she is fucking next level.
Should have went over and asked him if you could get a photo. Then when he went to stand beside you tell him it was his missus you were hoping to get a pic with. Totally juvenile but it would be funny/awkward.

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • Tim K
  • broncos4life
  • Waynesaurus
  • Allo
  • Mr Fourex
  • Rah88
  • Harry Sack
  • Financeguy
  • Brocko
  • Battler
  • broncsgoat
  • Fozz
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Galah
  • Mustafur
  • BroncosFan_Corey
  • Justwin
... and 24 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.